You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Learn-some-recipes thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
Friendly Server Admin

Default The Learn-some-recipes thread

Okay, here's my attempt at a better cooking thread. I know there are some of you who said you were trying to learn to cook, or trying to learn to cook meat, or maybe just want some new recipes. So... The plan here is to post an ingredient or a type of food, and someone respond with a recipe they enjoy using that thing.

I'll start... I could use some good recipes for ground turkey (or ground meat in general), since I have some of it in the freezer.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I don't know how to cook, and I'm not trying to learn, but I know how to eat. I might try spaghetti bolognese, with garlic, onions, white wine, tomato paste, and sun-dried tomatoes, with that ground turkey.

I've got two rabbit burgers in the freezer, any ideas on what would go well with it in a bun?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_ View Post
I don't know how to cook, and I'm not trying to learn, but I know how to eat. I might try spaghetti bolognese, with garlic, onions, white wine, tomato paste, and sun-dried tomatoes, with that ground turkey.

I've got two rabbit burgers in the freezer, any ideas on what would go well with it in a bun?
Something with fat to ensure you don't suffer from rabbit starvation.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 AM   #4
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_ View Post

Rabbit kinda tastes like chicken, so put a bit of olive oil in the pan when you cook it, and on the bun I'd go with lettuce, tomato, and blue cheese or other kinda potent salad dressing.

Ground turkey is also very lean, which can mean kinda dry, so use a recipe where you add a spicy sauce, like a salsa, or a curry spiced mix with it.

FGM
Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
Lazy Bee

Although this isn't a specific ingredient I could use some veggie recipes.
OK, say broccoli which I love
Old 01-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Psychonaut

Just bung stuff in the microwave.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Jelena: Broccoli is great as a "grateng" (can't find a english name for it right now, it's mostly made of a vegetable, a sauce and cheese, that you put in a form, and in the oven)
At lest here in Norway they sell them in the stores, frozen, but I would think it isn't that hard to make them yourself? White sauce suits it well, and it also matches well with cauliflower.
A broccoli grateng is a great side dish to, among other things, fish, and potatoes.
You can of course make just a grateng, then I'd reccomend using sweet red/green pepper, egg plant and broccoli, or broccoli, cauliflower and mushroom.

I could use some interesting pasta options. I usually make either pasta and tomato sauce, or pasta with frozen vegetables and cheese sauce.
Keep in mind that I don't eat meat.. (Eat some fish though)

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 01-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
tsa
Playing character

Today I just learned how NOT to bake tilapia. I put the fish (fillet) in a pan with really hot olive oil on a large flame. Minutes later I had a pan full of flames! I let it burn out, and the tilapia tasted fine after that. But not really special, so it's not worth repeating the experiment. Besides, I had to clean a layer of soot off the ventilation hood afterwards.

But, can anyone tell me how to bake tilapia fillet and make it taste better? I just put salt on it, which gave a bit boring taste, although not bad.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
Banned User

What seasonings go best with chicken?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Jelena: Broccoli is great as a "grateng" (can't find a english name for it right now, it's mostly made of a vegetable, a sauce and cheese, that you put in a form, and in the oven)
At lest here in Norway they sell them in the stores, frozen, but I would think it isn't that hard to make them yourself? White sauce suits it well, and it also matches well with cauliflower.
A broccoli grateng is a great side dish to, among other things, fish, and potatoes.
You can of course make just a grateng, then I'd reccomend using sweet red/green pepper, egg plant and broccoli, or broccoli, cauliflower and mushroom.

I could use some interesting pasta options. I usually make either pasta and tomato sauce, or pasta with frozen vegetables and cheese sauce.
Keep in mind that I don't eat meat.. (Eat some fish though)
Did you mean casserole? Mmm I love casserole. Have any Europeans had a green bean casserole? It is hugely easy and very quick if your are on the go.

1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans French cut green beans drained
1/2 cup french fried onions (Don't know if you can find these, US you can by them in a can)
Season Salt (To Taste, I never use much salt of any kind)
and I use a Hard Sharp Cheddar to grate on the top.

Mix soup, drained green beans, and the half cup of fried onions together in a dish,grate a light layer of cheese on top and then sprinkle some of the left over onions on top of that. bake 350 for about 30 mins.

As for pasta have you ever tried to make Lo-mein? I cheat and use linguine noodles. Cook them to specification on package, drain, take a hot skillet with a little olive oil in it and put whatever frozen veggies you want (I'm a fan of peas and carrots myself) then when they are about thawed out put in any fresh veggies (Shallots are heaven). When it is all about 2/3 done add your noodles, soy sauce (very salty so again to taste), some ginger is great, and hot sauce if you like it. stir it a lot till the soy starts to carmalize on the noodles then pull it out and eat!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #11
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
An easy seasoning is Mccormic dry rub! I love the stuff! They also have some killer easy chicken recipes. http://www.mccormick.com/
Old 01-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
You can of course make just a grateng, then I'd reccomend using sweet red/green pepper, egg plant and broccoli
Mmm, thanks Panthera. I've never used egg plant and broccoli in the same dish. That sounds tasty!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
Friendly Server Admin

here's one for chicken...

The quantities are approximate, because I'm at work and don't have the recipe I wrote down in front of me. This makes a 9x9 pan's worth.

mix a can of condensed cream of chicken soup with 1/4 cup of mayonnaise (NOT miracle whip) and ~1 tsp. of curry powder (adjust for how much you like curry powder -- I usually add more). Thaw a package of frozen chopped spinach, and squeeze out as much water as humanly possible. I can't stress this enough, it should be really really REALLY dry. Lay down a little bit of the soup mixture into a baking dish, enough to cover the bottom with a thin layer. Spread the dried spinach on top of that. Rinse two or three chicken breasts quickly with cold water, then pat dry. Sprinkle them on both sides with seasoning salt, and then lay them down on top of the spinach in the pan. Try to keep a gap between each breast if possible. Now spread on the rest of the soup mixture, making sure to cover all the breasts completely. Sprinkle a generous layer of grated parmesan cheese on top. Bake it at 375 for 20 minutes, and then lower the heat to 325 and bake for another 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese on top is nice and crustlike.

It goes well with rice.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
Lazy Bee

I hadn't heard of cream of mushroom or chicken soup before today. After googling it I know what to look for in my store although I doubt I'll find any.
It's too bad that we don't get the same ingredients over here as you guys over there.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I hadn't heard of cream of mushroom or chicken soup before today. After googling it I know what to look for in my store although I doubt I'll find any.
It's too bad that we don't get the same ingredients over here as you guys over there.
that's why we have Recipes!!
Old 01-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
that's why we have Recipes!!
Seems easy enough. Will it be as fine with ordinary milk? Evaporated milk is another ingredient that'll be difficult/impossible to find here.
(I had to google it just to learn what it is.)

EDIT: Just read that cream would be a better choice than ordinary milk when evaporated milk isn't available.

Last edited by Jelena; 01-17-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Found some info myself
Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #17
Super Moderator

A mini reminder to myself to post a recipe for Sloppy Joes (I think it would work great with ground turkey) and Broccoli Bars (I think I need to email my mom for this one).
Old 01-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #18
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
But, can anyone tell me how to bake tilapia fillet and make it taste better? I just put salt on it, which gave a bit boring taste, although not bad.
While I haven't cooked tilapia yet, I have a haddock dish that would probably work quite well with it. As far as I can tell, the two fish are quite similar so it shouldn't be a problem (as for tilapia though, my parents used to fry it somehow, maybe they breaded it first and then fried it in some oil and served it with lemon - simple but good).

Spicy Haddock (this serves 8 apparently, so adjust it accordingly)

2 pounds fresh haddock
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (I always replace this with BBQ sauce or HP sauce)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or crushed/chopped garlic)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 dash hot pepper sauce (like tabasco)

place fillets in a baking dish that's been coated with non-stick spray (we tend to just put it on tin foil instead of spraying). Combine the remaining ingredients and spoon it over the fish. Bake, uncovered at 350 F for 20-25 mins or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

If you end up trying this, please post the results. I'm curious to know if it works the same with tilapia. It's a nice, relatively easy to make dish so I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Sloppy Joes:

1 lb. hamburger (or ground turkey) browned with onion and celery
3/4 c. ketchup
3/4 to 1c. water
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (optional)

After hamburger/ground turkey is browned, add everything else and simmer until the liquid is reduced a bit.

One way that I love white fish is pan fried. We used to get walleye when my aunt and uncle would fish in Northern Minnesota. My mom would coat them in flour (I know she doctored it up but I can't remember what she used) and just fry them in some oil (a thin layer in the pan I think) - I'm doing this from a sketchy memory.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #20
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
Herbes de Provence