You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Prom- Did You Go?

View Poll Results: Describe Your Prom Experience
I went, and it was great! 6 15.38%
I went, and it was lame. 4 10.26%
I didn't go, but wish I had. 4 10.26%
I didn't go, and didn't miss it a bit. 12 30.77%
Prom? What prom? 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage
Default The Prom- Did You Go?

Times may have changed, but when I was in school the only people who went to the prom were the jocks, the cheerleaders, and the jock/cheerleader wannabes...basically, the people whose whole lives revolved around school and who seemingly would have spent 24 hours a day there if they could have.

However, I have found my school experience to be quite different from that of most of the folks here, so I thought I'd ask for a little feedback on this.

Share the love.

<3
Old 01-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
Super Moderator

No. I wasn't asked and I wasn't brave enough to go alone.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
kamikaze hummingbirds

we live in the UK, we shouldn't have one full stop!
but here i am feeling all stressed, because i'll be going alone.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

I didn't go to the first prom that I had a chance to, because I didn't have any one to go with. I'm going to go to the second one though, even if my girlfriend and I don't last that long, although I'm really hoping we do. For some reason this girl makes me feel way different then any other.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

We didn't have a prom per se. We once had a Senior School Dance, which was organised by some of the people in the Student Life Organisation, that were generally very involved with the SLO. I knew them (I was in the SLO Office a lot, what with being a Senior Prefect myself. I tended to be the girl for doing all kinds of odds and ends. My actual job was to advertise new activities, but I also made advertisements for other things like our yearbook [I was part of the Yearbook team], and other such things.), and they were definitely no jocks (hell, they were a few classes below me! We didn't have many jocks at our school, luckily).

You had to sign up for the dance. If we hadn't gotten enough people to come, it would have been cancelled. Luckily it wasn't. I went to the dance, and it was a lot of fun. Everyone came in very formal clothes, but it was more like a very well dressed disco. And it was a lot of fun when they brought out the neon glow sticks (I made myself a kind of headress from those, by sticking them in my hair, which I had modelled after Mazzy Fentan's hairdo from Baldur's Gate II. Karasu commented I looked like a Neon Ceres/Demeter that way...or was it Diana/Artemis? Gah, I can't remember!), there was a lot of silly fun.

Oh, and our head of SLO even danced! He denied it afterwards, but I saw it!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Lovable rogue

My school had what they termed "The Summer Ball."

After never attending a single extracurricular event, I decided as I was finally leaving I would go to the ball.

It was terrible, the food was cold, the music was not to my tastes, and I couldn't even get drunk to numb the pain, as the idiot who scheduled it didn't take into account that some of us had exams the next day.

On the plus side, I looked fabulous in a dinner suit.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Lazy Bee

When I went to school there was something that resembled a Prom. A Swedish version, which means less formal. (we're talking mid-80s) We went there on our own or in large groups. No dates with the result that everybody went as it was the last night together before everyone left town for uni, travelling or whatever.
I guess what bothers you Hammerite is that you're expected to come with a date, not the prom itself? I really don't like ideas the school comes up with that excludes their own students. I'm assuming here that it is the school that are throwing the Prom. Correct me if I'm wrong. The school should make such arrangements that the majority of students are welcome and feel comfortable with the event.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
Retired Buccaneer

Dancing? What is that, and why should I care about it?

Yes, I'm in a really bad mood right now.

I never went to proms anyway, they seemed a waste of time to me. Not that it was inconvenient to go, as my high school generally held dances across the street from my house...
Old 01-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the dance wasn't really too centered on asking people out, thank the gods. Many people went there without company, and some just came with their normal friends. We were allowed to bring people from outside the school, and some past graduates were there. And if someone had come alone, the people there did not just let them sit there when the others danced, but included them in the fun (Yes, I speak from experience. ).

It really was a lot of fun.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
Psychonaut

Prom? What Prom?

We didn't go in for those American traditions.

Had to settle for behind the bike sheds.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #11
Easily amused

Yep.
This was in 1975 in Montreal. We graduated high school after grade 11, so most of us were 16 years old. Since we were underaged for drinking (and driving), the official prom dinner was a sedate affair. The all night after parties were a lot more fun .
Old 01-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #12
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Times may have changed, but when I was in school the only people who went to the prom were the jocks, the cheerleaders, and the jock/cheerleader wannabes...basically, the people whose whole lives revolved around school and who seemingly would have spent 24 hours a day there if they could have.
Excatly. All the popular kids went to the prom, I didn't want to go because I hated most of the people who were going. I dont regret going, I went out for dinner with a class mate instead.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #13
Second Degree Black Belt

My High school had a "Theme" for the Junior and seniors. My junior year it was called Remember. I was dating a guy from a rival High School so I went to his prom; his school wasn't as stuffy as my High School. My senior year my graduating class deicide that they wanted to spend their prom night in Disney World. So we all raised money (well the people that wanted to go) raised money and went to Disney World. I spent time with my friends. I don’t regret not going to my senior prom. I probably wouldn't have gone to the junior prom if it had been at my school. But since it was at another school and the people were friendly, that is why I went.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 01-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

My school didn't have a prom (well, it might have done, but if it did I was ignoring it), and I wouldn't have gone if it had done. I can't dance, I hate large social gatherings and I hate parties, so it's not really my thing.

For the same reasons I'm deliberately avoiding the ball that my college is organising this summer .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #15
is not wierd

Need I bring up that thread again?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #16
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I went to mine, although it was officially referred to as the "grad banquet", which took place in a nice hotel and was the sort of event you brought your parents to. I went stag, surprised all my friends by wearing a dress (practically no one had ever seen me in one before), and enjoyed some really good seafood pasta and dancing. It wasn't all it's made out to be in the movies, seeing as I didn't get drunk or lose my virginity, but it was okay.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #17
It's Hard To Be Humble

I didn't go to the prom because it was quite spendy, and frankly, I wasn't interested in any of what they had going on, or the people who were going. I wasn't even particularly interested in attending my graduation, but family of my friends insisted I go and actually paid for my gown to get me there. Ultimately, I can't say I feel like I missed anything. I suspect not. My fondest memories of that school were all in the art department anyway.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:18 AM   #18
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I've never heard of a real-life prom before now, so I've always figured it was some sort of American cultural thing that only had any significance in movies and stories.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:58 AM   #19
Under pressure.

No proms here either.

--Erwin
Old 01-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #20
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I think we don't have proms in Finland and if we had, I woud never go.
It has always felt to me like some only in America kind of tradition.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.