You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2004, 04:59 PM   #41
Umbilicus Mundi

Lately I don't listen to much music, but currently mostly Taty (in Russian, their English versions suck), Eppu Normaali.

Old 01-29-2004, 03:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
I am never ashamed to tell anyone what music I like.
That's 'cause your girlfriend hasn't got this thing against germans... Especially germans with a guttural voice.
Anyway, sometimes being ashamed to like some music is a good thing. For example, I do like some of Shakira's songs, but that's not the first thing I mention when I'm asked about my musical tastes... And for this, I'm not ashamed to be ashamed... :eek:
Old 01-29-2004, 03:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
Join the club. :eek:
Me too, I guess, since I know only 4 of them...
Muse is really a great band, though, I was listening to one of their concert in France on TV last night (around 3 AM ), and I was impressed, although I already appreciated them before.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:30 PM   #44
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Sigh, you asked for it...
I listen to old cartoon theme songs...
And videogame music...
I also like Daft Punk, They Might be Giants and Machinae Supremacy, but I don't listen to them much...
I also like 80's music but only some of it...
I have a VERY weird taste is music...
Would you believe I'd love to have the soundtrack for the cartoon movie "Scooby Doo on Zombie Island"?
Old 01-30-2004, 05:05 AM   #45

muse is one of my favourites
Old 01-30-2004, 08:03 AM   #46
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I listen to quite a lot of stuff. There are three things my ears can't stand: fluffy commercial music (that whole spectrum of Britney Spears bubblegum pop and cheesy clubtrance), hardcore rock/metal and hardcore electronic music (gabber, speedcore, etc.). I'm not comparing the first with the second and the third, mind you This is just the stuff that I avoid. I generally like and/or respect all other music, such as:

Hip hop -- Ty, Outkast, Blackalicious, J5, Mos Def, The Roots, Gorillaz.
Downtempo and ambient type stuff -- Yonderboi, Thievery Corp, Talvin Singh, Monolake, Squarepusher, Orbital, Biosphere, Kruder & Dorfmeister, LTJ Bukem, FSOL.
Jazzy stuff -- a lot of St. Germain / Ludovic Navarre and anything I can find that sounds nice
And then there's this whole category called "Misc." that I didn't bother categorizing, which includes Unkle, Detroit Grand Pubahs, The Avalanches, Timo Maas, Mr Scruff, Laurent Garnier, Layo & Bushwacka, Leftfield, DJ Shadow, Goldfrapp, Groove Armada, Chemical Brothers, Circulation, Armand van Helden, Air, Basement Jaxx, Jet, Blur, Bjork, Burning Spear, Breakbeat Era, Chocolate Puma, Coldplay, Depeche Mode, **takes a long breath** DJ Food, Dopplereffect, Drexciya, Elektronauts, Deep Dish, Felix Da Housecat, Fisherspooner, Dave Clarke, Umek, Fun Loving Criminals, Green Velvet, Hybrid, Moguai, Petter, Otis Redding, Prodigy, Punjabi MC, Queens of the Stone Age, Royksopp, Smoke City, The Strokes, The White Stripes, Tiga & Zyntherius, Zero 7 etc. etc.

I also have a bunch of stupid shit like Klaus Wunderlich (terrible German singer), The D, Liam Lynch, etc.

But the stuff I like most of all is progressive house, which probably no one has ever heard of. But if you know the DJs John Digweed or Sasha ... well, they're sort of the big names of prog house. John Digweed is usually number one or two in that wretched annual "top 100 djs" list that Mixmag puts out. Anyway, I'm utterly in love with the works of obscure producers such as Cass, Luke Chable, Sean Cusick (Q6), Medway, Rui Da Silva, Naveen G, PQM, Steve Porter, Trancesetters, Blackwatch, etc. But these names are probably meaningless to most people. *shrugs*

Sorry for the long post, but I can only explain my musical taste by just giving lots of examples. Is there anyone here with a similar taste (besides ysbreker)? I noticed that most people on this forum have kind of a different musical orientation (rock, mostly), though I saw some stuff in Tamara's list that I really like too.

Oh, yeah, I'm really into techno too (the traditional Detroit type of techno, not the magical word that people use to describe things like Moby ) I don't own much techno though, as most of it isn't really intended for listening at home.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:19 PM   #47
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

i'm not much of a fan of progressive house...or house even but i do like Rui Da Silva. (not just because he's portuguese )

i really enjoyed his singles:
Rui Da Silva feat. Victoria Horn - Feel The Love
Rui Da Silva feat. Cassandra - Touch Me
Old 01-31-2004, 04:32 AM   #48
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I know, most people find prog house boring.

I like Touch Me a lot, but I don't like Feel The Love. I think he needed money badly!

I really like Rui for his lesser known works, such as Fire, Stoned, Matrix, etc. Plus his collaborations as Coco Da Silva and Moshic Da Silva. His deep, tribal stuff gives me goosebumps. (All available at Kismet Records.) I really need to see him perform live sometime, but sadly he never comes to Holland.

By the way, I noticed you like trancy stuff. Check these tracks out, they're epic in a different sort of way: Agoria - La 11eme Marche (Rollercoaster Mix) and Funk D'void - Emotional Content (Funk D'Void Mix). It's all happy and bouncy.

Sorry. I'm babbling.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:19 AM   #49
Doctor Watson

At the moment I'm also listening to [one01] and little shames. Freaky electronic stuff. The artwork is fab. [Click to enlarge]

Last edited by deadworm222; 02-01-2004 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:39 AM   #50
rock star

Send a message via ICQ to myhrik Send a message via MSN to myhrik
Default Here we go...

OMG... A music thread. Ok, so here we go again:

Björk, The Beatles, Motorpsycho, Screaming Headless Torsos, Mr. Bungle, Maria Solheim, Ane Brun, Wibutee, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Subgud, Genesis, King Crimson, Anja Garbarek, Peter Gabriel, Tuna Laguna, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, Radiohead, Frank Zappa, Krøyt, Thomas Dybdahl, Jeff Buckley, Bendik Hofseth, Bugge Wesseltoft, Jaco Pastorius, Farmers Market, Jaga Jazzist... and the list goes on and on and on...

"You've just gottta live with ushing the deadlies." -deadworm222
Old 02-03-2004, 08:52 AM   #51
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhrik
...Tori Amos, Fiona Apple...
What? You're not allowed to listen to Tori and Fiona if you're not listening to Ani DiFranco.

Or, well, you should give it a try at least, if you like those other two gals.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:01 PM   #52
rock star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappapisshu
What? You're not allowed to listen to Tori and Fiona if you're not listening to Ani DiFranco.

Or, well, you should give it a try at least, if you like those other two gals.
I will, she's on my "to check out" list. There's so much music out there I haven't had the time to hear yet...

Old 02-05-2004, 03:14 AM   #53
jaf
big, hairy and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
I like Touch Me a lot
*dirty mind*
Old 02-05-2004, 06:05 AM   #54
Doctor Watson

Eirik: You don't mind me quoting your website in my sig, do you?
Old 02-05-2004, 07:25 AM   #55
(Va-yoosh)

I like mixing the styles. But I'm not talking about some crude rap-rock but something closer to real fusion of genres, a real crossovers. I like witty, flamboyant and daring artists who are trying/tried to brake the borders.

The Police; FNM; Incubus; Hed Planet Earth a.k.a. (hed)p.e; Tool, Queens of the Stone Age.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:35 AM   #56
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf
*dirty mind*
Old 02-05-2004, 09:46 AM   #57
comfortably numb

Now playing: Grim Fandango soundtrack.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:47 PM   #58
rock star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajus
I like mixing the styles. But I'm not talking about some crude rap-rock but something closer to real fusion of genres, a real crossovers. I like witty, flamboyant and daring artists who are trying/tried to brake the borders.

The Police; FNM; Incubus; Hed Planet Earth a.k.a. (hed)p.e; Tool, Queens of the Stone Age.
FNM, Incubus, QOTSA? Sure, cool bands, but genre-breaking crossovers? Hardly in my book. The more genre-/groundbreaking ones in my book are artists like Frank Zappa and Mr. Bungle - completely blending every thinkable genre *without a care in the world* (you already listen to FNM, surely you should know about Mr. Bungle?). Then you have an artist like Björk, who doesn't even care to follow an existing genre, but completely invents her own, again and again. There's no one else like her, really.

And no, Jussi, I don't mind.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster
Now playing: Grim Fandango soundtrack.
grrr... we wants it, the preciousss! :eek:
Old 02-05-2004, 03:16 PM   #60
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

I've just discovered a new band. The Shins. Normally I don't find much interest in indie pop bands, but these guys are awesome. Really. This is what I've been listening to most of the time the last couple of weeks, in between sessions of Camel and Gene Clark.

Oh, and the best intstrumental hiphop I've ever heard. DJ Embee and his Embeetious Art EP completely blows me away every time I listen to it. He's the DJ for Sweden's by far best hiphop act - Looptroop. Their latest release, The Struggle Continues, is awesome in every way - original and instrumental. I consider it one of the best damn hiphop releases ever.

As far as hiphop goes, Common, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots and Blackalicious are stuff that gets my juices flowing!