You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #1281
capsized.

As far as German is concerned... "Affäre" would imply the same to me, hence my usage of the English equivalent in this context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
(((OMG!!!)))
She'll burn in hell, won't she (if it's true, that is)?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #1282
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
However, I tend not to accept biological determinism as a valid excuse. Not saying it doesn't play a role at all, just that it plays a much smaller one than a lot of people make it out to be.
I merely offer it as a base for some observed behavior. :-p
Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 AM   #1283
Retired Buccaneer

Is it just me, or are most men more likely than most women to accept biological determinism as a valid theory?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:14 AM   #1284
capsized.

Well, in Germon the gender of the nouns "romance" and "love" is female, so...

Chill mighty fine ladies of adventure gamers, chill!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #1285
Lovable rogue

Oh my god! Oh my fucking god!

*screams*

I'm furious, so incredibly furious!

A fat, bald, middle aged taxi driver hit on me earlier. I was outraged. When I book a taxi to take me somewhere, I don't expect to end up trapped in a car and sexually harassed by a creepy lech, who made me feel more uncomfortable than I've ever felt in my life! How unprofessional is that? It was neither the time nor the place for that sort of behaviour. I've got half a mind to make a complaint. How dare he make me feel like that! How dare he place me in that situation!

The journey began fairly normally, he started making small talk and I did the usual routine for humouring the plebs, just smiling and politely responding with short replies which should indicate I have no desire to converse. He clearly lacked any powers of perception as he suddenly proceeded to ask increasingly personal questions, make flirtatious remarks, and then tried to get me to give him my phone number!

I'm still fuming, his incompetence caused me to miss my train - due to his shenanigans I'm sure! What exactly was he even thinking? I don't date the help! In the words of my avatar Karen Walker "Honey, (pointing at self) silk collar, (pointing at help) blue collar, they don't even mix in the washing machine!"

I'd been up since 6:30am, had 3 hours sleep, was tired, preoccupied, dishevelled; I had dark rings under my eyes, my hair wasn't styled and was in need of a cut and colour. The last thing I expected were unwelcome advances that I would need to fend off.

My problem is, when I'm presented with an unfamiliar situation, I don't know how to react and as a result I just let the situation play out until I can escape it. It's something I need to work on. I'm tempted to just stop being nice to people altogether. If i just acted like a bitch from the start, and treated him with the contempt he deserved, my suffering could have been snipped in the bud. Either that or he would have just locked the car doors and taken me off somewhere to kill me and violate my remains...

I still feel disturbed now. What a glorious day I've had

Somebody hold me, I feel all emotionally fragile.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #1286
Second Degree Black Belt

There, there dear Jatsie,*gives Jastie big hugs and holds him tight*.

You should call the cab company and make a complaint. You are right, that was very unprofessional and unwanted advances. Advise the boss / manager of the company that you want some kind of action taken against this employee. Demand that the employee be written up for lewd conduct, suspended w/out pay or terminated. Tell the manager that you will be in contact with him/her in a couple of days to find out what the out come was. If no action was taken then move up the chain of command to handle this problem.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 06-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #1287
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I merely offer it as a base for some observed behavior. :-p
*shrugs* I suppose, but really, considering that our view of the past is coloured by the present, it seems to me as though we as a society are very selective about what we perceive to be biologically deterministic. After all, science has, in the past, "proven" that white men evolved to be more intelligent than black men...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
Is it just me, or are most men more likely than most women to accept biological determinism as a valid theory?
I see what you're doing here.

Still, there may be a grain of truth to that essentialist statement, particularly considering that we live in a patriarchal society and that consequently, men would be happier with the status quo and more willing to accept things "the way they are" than women would be.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #1288
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
Somebody hold me, I feel all emotionally fragile.
(((Big Hug)))
I agree with Bullsie! Make a complaint to the taxi company.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #1289
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
*shrugs* I suppose, but really, considering that our view of the past is coloured by the present, it seems to me as though we as a society are very selective about what we perceive to be biologically deterministic. After all, science has, in the past, "proven" that white men evolved to be more intelligent than black men...

I see what you're doing here.

Still, there may be a grain of truth to that essentialist statement, particularly considering that we live in a patriarchal society and that consequently, men would be happier with the status quo and more willing to accept things "the way they are" than women would be.
Wow. Okay, I'm out. I must have totally mistated my meaning, or it was grossly misunderstood. I was hoping for more objectivity.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #1290
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Subjectivity is far more interesting, so I guess it's all for the best. Especially considering that this thread is supposed to be a blog and all *shrugs*
Old 07-06-2007, 05:46 AM   #1291
Lazy Bee

OK, time to prove this thead isn't dead at all. It's just resting....remarkable thread The AG Community Blog. Beautiful plumage!

Anyway,

Dear Blog
Mr J came back home yesterday and now he'll work closer to home for quite some time. That'll be nice since I don't see much of the kids nowadays. They sleep half the day and then they're off to do things with friends. Ah well I guess that's the way it should be.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #1292
Second Degree Black Belt

Jelena...thanks for bringing back our thread.

I'm glad to hear that your hubby is going to be closer to home as well. That's great. Well with the kids out more often maybe you and your hubby can spend some more time together....that would be nice.

I've been watching the news about all the rain in Texas I hope rlpw is doing ok.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #1293
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Well with the kids out more often maybe you and your hubby can spend some more time together....that would be nice.
Now there's a thought! You never know when they come home though.....
Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #1294
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Now there's a thought! You never know when they come home though.....
teehee......that's true

Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #1295
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
I've been watching the news about all the rain in Texas I hope rlpw is doing ok.
...And hopefully Rlpw is fanning some of those rain clouds our way.

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #1296
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Peter-Paul Koch answered a feedback of mine. Don't I feel proud. (I do, actually. I'm giddy like a schoolgirl. I know this makes no sense, but leave me to my delusions, please.)

Though I'm now a little bit embarrassed that my blog is still horribly broken, CSS-wise. I'd originally made the name and template as a counter-weight to all those easily memorable, easily readable, high-profile blogs. Then I made a couple of serious entries and now the template/URL no longer really suits the atmosphere - and by the time I'd gotten to test the template in IE7, I didn't have the time to fix the issues in that browser. Le sigh.

Edit - goodness, people, my blog isn't that interesting. x.@; Urk! *watches the visitor log inflate*
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™

Last edited by pinkgothic; 07-06-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:49 AM   #1297
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
...And hopefully Rlpw is fanning some of those rain clouds our way.
Now that is very true my friend

Old 07-07-2007, 08:15 AM   #1298
capsized.

Crap. I need to have mair hair's cut since they're a mess (or more of a mess than usual, heh..) and on Monday I'll start a smallish short-term job at like the highest profile company around that has me running through the offices. For brief periods of time at least. You know...

But it's weekend already, shops closed and all and I want to grow them longer again. Not as long as I had them during my teenage years (shoulders++), but.. longer.

Also, no news from the front (see above).

Feckin' crumbs.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #1299
Lazy Bee

Sam
Have you ever posted a picture of yourself other than the one in your avatar? That is you isn't it? I'm sure I've read that somewhere. Your hair looks great in that picture anyway. Just wanted to say that.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #1300
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Crap. I need to have mair hair's cut since they're a mess (or more of a mess than usual, heh..) and on Monday I'll start a smallish short-term job at like the highest profile company around that has me running through the offices. For brief periods of time at least. You know...

But it's weekend already, shops closed and all and I want to grow them longer again. Not as long as I had them during my teenage years (shoulders++), but.. longer.

Also, no news from the front (see above).

Feckin' crumbs.
Great news on the job Sam.

I have been wondering about the news from above, I wish that you could get some answers.