You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #5621
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
I was in that very position about 8 years ago and it got to the point where I just walked away. I finally got a job where I am outside most of the time. The hours are long,the pay is not as good, but the satisfaction fantastic.
I recently got a new job after years of working on the edge of what I could handle. The pay is not by far as good as what I earned as a teacher and I have a much shorter vacation. But I love working as a law court secretary! It feels I've gotten a new life.

Specksie, the time will come for you too. Just keep your eyes open and seize the moment.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #5622
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I love my new job, too. It may not be what I envisioned my dream job to be years ago (then again, neither were the jobs that better fit that description) but it has a lot of the things I liked about my previous jobs, and it's teaching me a lot of new things that I know will be of use for me in the future. And hey, working at a company that consists of only five people is pretty cool, if I do say so myself.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #5623
tsa
Playing character

I can't sleep, which is pretty annoying. I think I will go back to YouTube to look at American muscle cars, my new mania for the moment.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #5624
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I can't sleep, which is pretty annoying. I think I will go back to YouTube to look at American muscle cars, my new mania for the moment.
Look up Sportsmobile while your at it. Those are my dream.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #5625
tsa
Playing character

Hm, I like this one better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqzJn0p6MM8
Old 07-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #5626
Creepy Father Figure

Very good choice tsa!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #5627
tsa
Playing character

Although they are in many many ways utter rubbish compared to European sports cars, American muscle cars have something pure and raw and mechanical that makes them more 'real' than European sports cars have ever been. Everywhere you look you see just raw, uncontrollable power. Those cars are made for one purpose only: to impress. Who cares about usefulness and fuel economy. I hate SUVs with a passion: they pretend to be handy, roomy, safe, and what not, but they're none of these things. Muscle cars don't pretend. When you see one you know directly what they are about. They are honest cars. I love that. And I don't even like driving fast!

Last edited by tsa; 07-04-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #5628
merely human

Quote:
Although they are in many many ways utter rubbish compared to European sports cars, American muscle cars have something pure and raw and mechanical that makes them more 'real' than European sports cars have ever been. Everywhere you look you see just raw, uncontrollable power. Those cars are made for one purpose only: to impress. Who cares about usefulness and fuel economy. I hate SUVs with a passion: they pretend to be handy, roomy, safe, and what not, but they're none of these things. Muscle cars don't pretend. When you see one you know directly what they are about. They are honest cars. I love that. And I don't even like driving fast!
OOH! MMMM! ... Stop that, tsa! All that defiant macho talk is turning me on! And you're straight! Stop seducing me!

*runs and hides behind bullsie so he can't hear anymore sexy defiant macho talk*
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #5629
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
OOH! MMMM! ... Stop that, tsa! All that defiant macho talk is turning me on! And you're straight! Stop seducing me!

*runs and hides behind bullsie so he can't hear anymore sexy defiant macho talk*
I'm flattered Trepsie. I was pretty eloquent for someone who wrote that at 3:33 AM, wasn't I?
Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #5630
tsa
Playing character

O and rlpw, to clear things up: the Sportsmobiles you talk about are terrain vehicles, not SUVs. Most SUVs can't be used in rough terrain like the ones you showed. But they pretend they can.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #5631
It's Hard To Be Humble

You haven't seen raw power until you've actually stood by a raceway and watched a dragster or funny car literally hurl itself down the asphalt. Highly inefficient in terms of fuel efficiency and sustainable output, but once you've seen, heard and most importantly felt two of those beasts tearing down the strip, you can almost imagine what test pilots used to feel like testing the first supersonic jet engines.

I'm not a driver, and I have very little interest in cars these days, but I grew up around them, and I can still hear the deafening roar of those unbelievably power engines. tsa, if you ever get the chance to experience a proper drag race strip, go, even if the mania has passed. You won't believe just how palpable the power of those machines truly is. Or at least, that's how I remember it. I haven't been back since I was around 19 or 20. Things may have changed. Paul? Been to a drag race lately?

In other news, I'm having trouble sleeping. *sigh*
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #5632
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
The pay is not by far as good as what I earned as a teacher
What, really? I would've thought it's at least similar... Or are the teachers getting a better salary in Sweden than usually?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #5633
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
You haven't seen raw power until you've actually stood by a raceway and watched a dragster or funny car literally hurl itself down the asphalt. Highly inefficient in terms of fuel efficiency and sustainable output, but once you've seen, heard and most importantly felt two of those beasts tearing down the strip, you can almost imagine what test pilots used to feel like testing the first supersonic jet engines.

I'm not a driver, and I have very little interest in cars these days, but I grew up around them, and I can still hear the deafening roar of those unbelievably power engines. tsa, if you ever get the chance to experience a proper drag race strip, go, even if the mania has passed. You won't believe just how palpable the power of those machines truly is. Or at least, that's how I remember it. I haven't been back since I was around 19 or 20. Things may have changed. Paul? Been to a drag race lately?
We don't have many drag races here as far as I know, but my brother lives close to a racing circuit. Maybe we can go there some time to see cars go fast
I like driving my car, but not at all at hisgh speeds or fast around corners. But I still am impressed by muscle cars. I lived together with two very 'green' friends of mine for a year, and even Petra was attracted to the American muscle car that lived in our street back then. These cars have a certain something that European cars can never achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
In other news, I'm having trouble sleeping. *sigh*
No wonder with all your troubles. But every cloud has a silver lining. You just have to find it. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #5634
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
These cars have a certain something that European cars can never achieve.
I think that's a grass is greener argument. I happen to think European cars have something American cars lack as well. It's always tempting to romanticize something you've had very little exposure to. I only know as much about racing cars as i do from my childhood watching my uncles, grandfather and stepfather tinker with cars.

I lost my taste for them ages ago, but I still remember a fair bit from that time. My stepfather (I call him that, though technically he and my mother were never married) was a major race car enthusiast. He loved muscle cars and formula racing at least as much as he did football and hockey. I think a lot of my associations with cars and with sport can be traced to him, and subsequently, why I abandoned my interest in all of the above when my mother kicked him out. But I still have a great appreciation for fine engineering, so when i see a beautiful European (English cars in particular) car, I tend to smile. So there you go.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #5635
tsa
Playing character

It's not a grass is greener thing. You just have to take a look at an American car going around a corner to appreciate the quality of European cars. But the design of the muscle car, its engine and the totally insufficient suspension give it a character that European cars just don't have.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #5636
Life and times of...

Wow, and someone complained about the politics discussion?

Just joking, of course...
Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 AM   #5637
Stalker of Britain

Hey! lol I wasn't complaining, I was just lost and confused when talking about politics.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi all, although I don't have anything new to add to the Blog. Louie came to see me this weekend.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #5638
asian freak ;<

Send a message via MSN to Marte

Dear bloggie!
Tomorrow I'm going on my first job-interview in 3 years. I'm so nervous :<
Old 07-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #5639
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marte View Post
Dear bloggie!
Tomorrow I'm going on my first job-interview in 3 years. I'm so nervous :<
you will be fine we are pulling for you

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #5640
merely human

Dear Blog Thingy,

I wish these pedantic "getting started" CDs would just cut the testimonial shit out and just tell me HOW to get started. I'm sick of listening to 50,000 successful types dumping their stories on me, I GET IT ALREADY!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien