You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #5821
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irons View Post
But, hmm been a eventfull time, we moved places, that went all fine and dandy! Ellie (my spouse) is so pregnant she has to take two steps back when turning around or she'll bump anything close (I love the belly!) due date is 23 of october so it's getting freakishly close!
I love this! The awkwardness, the clutching for balance, that sweet tension before a new life is unleashed unto the world.

Dear Blog Thingy,

As I had posted in my birthday thread (which Jelena so thoughtfully made for me <3)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep View Post
I had a very low key birthday on Saturday. A chunk of the day was spent with Mom in her hospital room. She had been sick these past few weeks and this is the second time she was hospitalized in a month. She began bleeding out her backside and when I had to clean the bathroom for the third time and she grew quite weak was when my brother took her to the emergency room. She ended up needing several transfusions of new blood and was admitted for several days. When she stopped bleeding she was discharged and came home, but a few days later she had to go back.

After giving her a colonoscopy twice and observing her, Doctor diagnosed her with diverticulosis, a bad condition that affects many old people and could be very dangerous if left untreated. In Mom's case it was in part due to some of ther medicines, and in part to not having enough fiber in her diet.

I went to see her every day that she was in hospital.

She's home now. My brother took us out to dinner earlier today in honour of my birthday. Unfortunately Mom became faint at the table and was bending over her food and complained of how cold she was so we had to get our food to take away and we brought her home straight away. She's resting now.

Personally I'm not making a big deal out of my birthday weekend. My concern is with my mom.

I did get to finally see Salt yesterday after I left Mom for the evening. Awesome action movie, and I love "Pillowlips" Jolie.
Since I don't worship and pray to any god and thus am not one who does faith in that manner, I choose to be philosophical about this and remain strong.

Nanay will eventually die. When that will happen is anyone's guess. But I know that my desire, both selfish and selfless, is to make what remaining time she has as comfortable, as comforting, and as rich as possible before she must go.

I felt and thought the same about my dad, which is why I originally moved down here to California. I came to help Mom care for him, but a month after my arrival he finally bowed out of this life. So now Mom's turn is steadily approaching, and I want to do the same for her as she had so beautifully and lovingly done for Dad.

It's funny, what I felt while visiting her at hospital. Each time before I'd leave her to go home I'd stroke her hair, tell her to be good and not to give the nurses a hard time, and tell her I love her. I felt that with each word with her, each stroke of her hair, I at once was closer to her than I was before a moment before, more enriched than I was a moment before, and distant from her a moment before in terms of mortality.

It's one of the most beautiful feelings. Connectedness through eventual separation.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #5822

That's pretty amazing Intrepid, and I say that out of admiration and respect. I think you've developed a great philosophy and should definately be proud of this. Though I'm still young and have plenty of time myself, I hope that I can only have that sense of comfort and relationship when that time comes for me too...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 09-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #5823
Stalker of Britain

About the security thing-It shouldn't affect you guys for very long, since you have so many posts. It's supposed to cut down on spam, and you shouldn't have to do the code for every post. It's only for new people that may be spammers.

Trep-I understand what you mean about the connection you get from eventual separation. I felt that way with my cat, although not the same thing of course.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 09-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #5824
merely human

Thanks, guys. I realized the post above needed to be in my blog so I edited and copied and pasted. And added...

birthdays, phở soup, and death | a space alien

Quote:
The tears I shed as I type this are not ultimately tears of sadness. These tears are far, far too complex to label as a mere emotional reaction.

But then humanness, and the profundity of human existence....well, that's far too complex to express with tears alone.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #5825
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
I guess I'll always be the weird old guy tilting at windmills, asking for a new medium in an industry that wants exactly the same, only more so.
Sometimes windmills are actually giants. I know how you feel but a lot of people disagreeing with you doesn't mean you're wrong (especially when we're dealing with opinions where there is no definite right and wrong, despite what some people seem to think)
Quote:
Finally, replotting this novel into what is now a four volume set has been absolute murder. I had no idea when I started tearing it apart that I'd still be tweaking and rearranging things three weeks later. Some plot takes time to sort out, but this is a story I thought I already knew. And yet, parts get reworked on an almost daily basis. I only hope it's getting better, but part of me suspects I could go on like this for months, which is simply unacceptable.
I had a quote from Neil Gaiman (who has made a reasonable success at writing ) but I can't lay hands on it at the moment. The essential sentiment was that you always have to stop writing before you're happy it's perfect, because you'll never be happy it's perfect. I'm not saying it will be easy for you to draw a line though. Good luck with it regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Thanks for the support guys! You know how I appreciate that. I will tell you later about my ideas for my next job. Now it's time to sleep.
You tell us what you want to do (or indeed just what you're good at) and any help we can give you is yours for the asking.

Is it in genetics as related to susceptibility to certain diseases? If so, I could possibly fix you up with my single sister-in-law at the same time.
Quote:
And oh man, is this new security thingy really necessary? I see it now for the first time...
It was necessary but not intended for all. Spammers are a real pain in the butt.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #5826
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
You tell us what you want to do (or indeed just what you're good at) and any help we can give you is yours for the asking.
If I only knew what I wanted! I know what I like to do and what I am good at. I am good at making small things and coming up with techniques to solve difficult manufacturing problems on the micro- and nanoscale. But I think I need to get away from the university and find myself a job elsewhere. There are too many things at the university that annoy me more and more, especially the fact that, since politics here in NL doesn't have a clue about what science and technology are and how important they are to keep your country running, universities get less and less money. And that means that fixed jobs are impossible to get, unless you want to be an assistant professor or a professor. So every one or two years I find myself looking for a new job again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepsie
Is it in genetics as related to susceptibility to certain diseases? If so, I could possibly fix you up with my single sister-in-law at the same time.
Well, you can do that anyway. But tomorrow I have a half-blind date so let's wait how that turns out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepsie
It was necessary but not intended for all. Spammers are a real pain in the butt.
Hm, so it's only for new members? How does it work?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #5827
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Hm, so it's only for new members? How does it work?
Better it retains some level of mystery. If we explain how it works then spammers will find a workaround for it.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #5828
tsa
Playing character

Good point.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #5829
Lazy Bee

I'm back after four days in Stockholm learning more about working in a law court.
The course was good, but I've gained weight since we ate something every other hour it seemed.
Three course lunches and coffee with pie every afternoon. Not to mention the amazing breakfasts the hotel served.

I will have to work out on my stationary bicycle, take long brisk walks and cut down on carbohydrates in order to get in shape.

In two weeks I'm going back to Stockholm for another three day course....

EDIT: Oh, and I went to see Annie Leibovitz exhibition: A photographer's life 1990-2005. Amazing!

Last edited by Jelena; 09-10-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #5830
tsa
Playing character

Heya Blogsie!

I had a very nice semi-blind date last Wednesday. We went to the Apenheul, a zoo with only apes and monkeys. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so i had to use my phone for all the pictures. That's nervousness for you! But of course I didn't come all the way there to take pictures. We had a very nice afternoon together. We knew each other a bit from the Internet, but this was the first time we saw each other and talked to each other. This was my first date where I didn't have to do much mental work to get on the same level as her, if you know what I mean. It just clicked. Not that I'm in love with her already, but this definitely was the best date I've had so far. And it isn't over yet. We had dinner together and we decided to visit the technology museum Nemo in Amsterdam next time. We'll see where this leads!
Old 09-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #5831
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I'm back after four days in Stockholm learning more about working in a law court.

Three course lunches and coffee with pie every afternoon. Not to mention the amazing breakfasts the hotel served.

I will have to work out on my stationary bicycle, take long brisk walks and cut down on carbohydrates in order to get in shape.

In two weeks I'm going back to Stockholm for another three day course....
You think you have it hard? I had this nice dinner two days ago with my date. Two days ago my mother turned 70. This has to be celebrated of course. I will do that next Sunday. But tomorrow I will celebrate a friend's birthday. We will have pizza and go to a movie. Today I had Chinese. I must be at least 100 kg heavier by the end of the weekend!

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and I went to see Annie Leibovitz exhibition: A photographer's life 1990-2005. Amazing!
Who is she then? Did she die when she was 15?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:01 AM   #5832
Lazy Bee

Quote:
I had a very nice semi-blind date last Wednesday.

This was my first date where I didn't have to do much mental work to get on the same level as her, if you know what I mean. It just clicked.
Ooh tsa, I'm so happy for you. That 'click' feeling is special!

Quote:
We had dinner together and we decided to visit the technology museum Nemo in Amsterdam next time. We'll see where this leads!
It seems you have the interest of science in common. Now, don't forget to keep up at least a little bit updated. If curiosity really did kill the cat, I'd be dead long ago.

Quote:
You think you have it hard? I had this nice dinner two days ago with my date. Two days ago my mother turned 70. This has to be celebrated of course. I will do that next Sunday. But tomorrow I will celebrate a friend's birthday. We will have pizza and go to a movie. Today I had Chinese. I must be at least 100 kg heavier by the end of the weekend!
Bah...my waist looks like three tyres.

Quote:
Who is she then? Did she die when she was 15?
Annie Leibovitz One of the world's most famous portrait photographers. Just google her name and choose pictures and you'll see.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #5833
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Bah...my waist looks like three tyres.
I had a discussion like that with my former boss once about who had the least amount of testosteron in his body. It went something like "I HAVE LESS TESTOSTERON THAN YOU!" which is a bit of a contradiction if you think about it.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #5834
Stalker of Britain

Aww, congrats on having a good blind date, tsa!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 09-12-2010, 03:20 AM   #5835
Second Degree Black Belt

I'm glad you had a great blind date tsa......... *sigh* its just sad it wasnt with me ...........teehee

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 09-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #5836
kamikaze hummingbirds

Nice news about your blind date, tsa! Wouldn't mind going on one, myself, to be honest so that: 1) I could get a date without the difficulty of asking someone out, and 2) so I could realise that my fears about dating and asking someone out were probably unfounded anyway.

Also, I've had a brief pang of inspiration to write that hopefully isn't completely unfounded.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #5837
tsa
Playing character

Well actually it's via a dating site so we had chatted already and knew what we look like. That's why I said it was a semi-blind date. But these dates are always a bit exciting because people can be very different from what you expect when you meet them in the flesh. You should try a datingsite oncex Hammie. You're quite eloquent and funny here on the forums, so maybe it's easier for you to get to know someone that way before you meet.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #5838
Lovable rogue

I tried my hand at manual labour, it was strangely invigorating... I wonder if I'll get a muscle? I understand that could increase my sex appeal.

I realised recently that I have a strong distaste for paving, especially poorly placed paving. As a result I have spent several days ridding both the front and back garden of it, with the aid of lump hammer and a chisel. It was actually rather fun somehow, but now in one corner of the garden sits a giant pile of concrete rubble, which I chipped from every paving slab I dug up. I really need a skip to put it in. I also tore out a fireplace, I think I have an appetite for destruction.

I've been getting to know my new neighbours too, she commented on the Frank Sinatra I'd been playing, and I mentioned her Nat King Cole, and we mused about the Rat Pack over the fence for a short while.

Whatever curious things will I get up to next?

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #5839
tsa
Playing character

Wow, your house and garden must look a mess now Jatsie
Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #5840
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Dear AG Community Blog,

Can't believe it's been four years since we started this thread. Thinking about how so many things have changed since then... and how so many others haven't at all.

Oh, and I stayed home sick with a cold today. Blech.

Ta for now,
Squankz