You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #4441
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
It's only a matter of time, ultimately.
It is. But unfortunately, the older generation is still predominant in positions of power. But that will change.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #4442
the midnight rambler

Thanks for that clip Trep. I've the utmost respect for war veterans and hearing one talk so earnestly about equality and the values we should all share in light of the lives lost for our own is incredibly moving. The narrowminded older generations days are numbered and I hope that the people of tomorrow will usher in a new age of tolerance for our differences.

We've some way to go though and it sickens me.

On a lighter note and in relation to Fantasys plight:

Not so long ago I started making a studded wall for mine and Hai's new home and not having the correct tools and materials meant that I was constantly going back and forth from my mum and dads (where we currently live) and the DIY store. It stressed me out and I was determined that it wasn't going to beat me and it didn't. However, the other day when it came to strengthening the wall to hang a radiator on it I made a number of mistakes that just made me snap inside and I sat there in our shell of a home crying on the stairs because I just couldn't do it. As I sat there wiping the tears from my cheeks I questioned what I was crying about and in that brief moment where I distanced myself from the problem I realised just how much I'd invested myself into this goddamn wall and also what I'd been doing wrong. Don't lose heart Fantasy, it's all a learning curve!

Last edited by geggis; 10-24-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #4443
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I'm going to be in an amateur production of the play "The Matchmaker". I just found out on Friday that I got in, and I got a really good part -a character named Barnaby. You've probably never heard of this play, but you may have heard of "Hello, Dolly!", which was a later musical version of the same story. (This one isn't a musical.) It's a romantic comedy, and I've never done anything like this before, but I'm so excited. In the previous plays I was in I was really frustrated with how I spent all of my time standing around on the stage doing very little. Now's my chance to shine. It'll be awesome.

(Between you and me, one of the reasons I'm doing this is that I don't meet as many girls as I'd like, staying at home all day every day. But don't tell anyone I said that.)
Old 10-25-2009, 02:02 AM   #4444
Lazy Bee

Congrats on a part in the play Mory!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #4445
merely human

photo: Boden Sea, Uttwil, 1993. ©Hiroshi Sugimoto

Dear Blog Thingy,

...as we are | a space alien (music by Ulrich Schnauss)

Quote:
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin

If you knew me more intimately would you intimate yourself to me more? Are you better able to transmit your thoughts and dreams and desires and experiences to me when I'm an abstraction, as physical proximity might disturb such transmissions? Am I more valuable to you from a distance?

This is the contradiction of the internet. It's a Janus face. One side allows communication from different points in the world, bringing us closer and affording opportunities to connect. The other side is cruel. It exaggerates the geographical interstices, the chasm of hundreds or thousands of miles separating us, which only brings disparity. We can transmit to each other our secrets but it only reminds us how far apart we are that only electronic words can reach us - no facial expressions, no hugs, no touch, no breath, no sensation of warm skin, no voice, no sound of hearts thumping....
This was initially a reply to a fellow in Hawaii with whom I had been corresponding. Like me he was also laid off and is having difficulty finding work, among other situations. We connected in some ways, and he expressed some frustration because I hadn't written him back in a couple of weeks, though he has been in my thoughts.

This reply became a stream of thought that I decided to make into a blog entry, which I linked him to.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #4446

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

The opening quote by the great Anais Nin is wonderful.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #4447
Creepy Father Figure

Dear Bloggiepooh,
Am home with back spasms. must have slept wrong and every time I move the wrong way the muscle knots up. I wanted time off but damn!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #4448
Stalker of Britain

I'm sorry, Dad! I hope you feel better. I most certainly do. Wednesday will be Louie and I's one-year anniversary. It's been the best year of my life; what with him, getting away from home life and being "independent" at college, and being on here, etc. It's my longest relationship, and I really do think we're going to last.

Good job on getting the part in the play, Mory!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #4449
tsa
Playing character

Congratulations, Mory and Fantasie! And rlpw, my father often has the same as you, and I've had it too a few times. Most of the time it is stress-related in our case. It's really painful and annoying and the only things you can do is wait it out or face the source of the stress. Good luck, poor man!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #4450
Creepy Father Figure

Dear Blogotronic,
Not quite the place for this but just cracked up over a show. I am watching Castle and Nathan Fillion was wearing his outfit from Firefly as a Halloween costume. Was way to funny.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #4451
It's Hard To Be Humble

Yeah, i saw a youtube clip of that. Very amusing.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #4452
Stalker of Britain

Hey all. I'm playing through "TLJ", and it just occured to me how alike April and I are. We're both really pale, and don't really want to eat. She makes many comments about not wanting to eat, and Emma's trying to make her eat, which is straight out of my life. We both attract black guys (April with Charlie and even to an extent Cortez) while for some reason, a lot of African Americans get attracted to me. I think it's the paleness. We both have pretty, or at least semi, low self esteem.

Speaking of not wanting to eat, that's another thing. It's not that I'm anorexic, even though I am scared of getting fat, but I'll pig out on chocolate every once in awhile and not even feel that guilty about it. So it's not like I'm anorexic, but I'm tired of food. Louie and my parents push for me to eat healthier, either meat or vegetables (which is annoying in itself), but I look around to what I want to eat, and I don't want to eat anything. People say how much they love eating, but I dont really. Chocolate, sure, but not "regular" food, as they call it. I'll look at all of the food, and I won't be in the mood to eat anything.

And the last thing bothering me that I need to get off my chest; I feel like I don't fit in. No matter what group of people I try to be a part of, I always feel like an outsider, even when I try and spend time to not be. The "popular" group I feel like I'm trying too hard, but even the "geeky" group, I feel like I don't fit in. We don't "geek" about the same things, so I feel kind of left out there, too. I try and spend time with the groups, to better fit in, but I end up just feeling very socially awkward and say something stupid that makes them laugh and look down on me. I really wish I had a group of friends I felt comfortable with; but only a select few people here and there I feel like that with. I feel better talking with people from all nationalities and ages here than with my own friends. I get paranoid when I'm in groups, always thinking they're looking down on me, that I'll say something stupid, etc.

Okay, sorry for the rant.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #4453
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasie
And the last thing bothering me that I need to get off my chest; I feel like I don't fit in. No matter what group of people I try to be a part of, I always feel like an outsider, even when I try and spend time to not be. The "popular" group I feel like I'm trying too hard, but even the "geeky" group, I feel like I don't fit in. We don't "geek" about the same things, so I feel kind of left out there, too. I try and spend time with the groups, to better fit in, but I end up just feeling very socially awkward and say something stupid that makes them laugh and look down on me. I really wish I had a group of friends I felt comfortable with; but only a select few people here and there I feel like that with. I feel better talking with people from all nationalities and ages here than with my own friends. I get paranoid when I'm in groups, always thinking they're looking down on me, that I'll say something stupid, etc.
It sounds to me that you don't know yourself good enough to know where you fit in. But you are experimenting, so eventually you will find out. You will also find that you will change a lot in the coming years, because you have to take care of yourself now you are in college. Finally, I also sometimes have that feeling in groups, that people will find me stupid and look down on me. I try to ignore it, which usually helps .
Old 10-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #4454
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I really wish I had a group of friends I felt comfortable with; but only a select few people here and there I feel like that with.
That sounds so much like me. When I was a bit younger that bothered me as well, but I think that what my mother told me has helped a bit, so I'll tell it to you as well: you should not forget that you do have some friends you feeel good with. It may not be a whole group, but they are there, they exist, and they are very precious. Don't forget that. Maybe you are, like me, not the type to fit in large groups. Maybe you should not want that. There are people with loads of friends and large groups around them, but are they really close friends? Are they the type of friends that stand by you no matter what? I think it is better to have a few very good, very close friends, than a large group of 'loose' friends who it is funto be with, but when you need them, who can say where they will be?

Okay, this may not be entirely matching you. I read that you want a group of the category close friends. I completely understand that. I want that so much myself (although I am too much an Einzelgänger to achieve that, I guess. And some trust issues, but that's weird me). But maybe you are a bit like me, unable to feel comfortable with many people, only with those select few. You are a few years younger than me. When I was starting on university, I was a few years younger, and did not have many close friends. It took me three years to finally find some people that I felt comfortable with. It sucks, but I guess it just takes time to bump into the right friends...

To make a long story short (sorry about the enormous post, it's just...you sound so much like me, it's almost scary): value those few friends you have and try to be patient. It is hard to not fit in, but that does not mean you never will. Maybe with you and me it is harder to find THE friends, but they are out there. Not many maybe, but they are there. Now you'll just have to bump into them.

*hugs Fantasy*
Old 10-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #4455
Stalker of Britain

Aww, thanks Luna and tsa! Your words mean a lot to me. I agree-a few good friends I can depend on would be amazing, and I do have a few of those. I just question a lot of my friendships, if they actually like me for me, etc.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #4456
Psychonaut

We only like you for your personalility, brains and good looks.

In that order
Old 10-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #4457
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Aww, thanks Luna and tsa! Your words mean a lot to me. I agree-a few good friends I can depend on would be amazing, and I do have a few of those. I just question a lot of my friendships, if they actually like me for me, etc.
This.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #4458
Stalker of Britain

Aww, thanks guys. You guys are awesome, and it's weird I feel like a fit in with you guys more!
Old 10-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #4459
Pixiehunter

Then maybe we are the friends you have always been looking for.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #4460
Stalker of Britain

Ha-you guys probably would, if I met any of you in person! I'm going to (hopefully) meet my best friend who I met on here, LostQuixote, when I go to England, which I'll hopefully do in my life since it's my dream.