You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat LOL, ROFL, TTYL, BRB and other aberrations of the English language

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #61
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm the one true voice of realism.

Oh, and sorry . Think of it as jealousy, because I can't even manage a fan singular.
Neither can I.

But incidentally, no, I'm not that fickle. She'll get tired of me first. That is the Natural Order of Things.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
No, he only liked my avatar. Lee loves me for my personality, so he's a true fan.
Every word, dear lady... every word.

;D
Old 09-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #62
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Oh, and sorry . Think of it as jealousy, because I can't even manage a fan singular.
Well, because you were all sickeningly apologetic about it, here's a fan for you:

EDIT: And here's one for you too, Lee:

Old 09-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #63
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Oh man... pink!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #64
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
EDIT: And here's one for you too, Lee:

Charming, elegant and well made.

And it's a very nice fan, too. Thank you.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:39 AM   #65
capsized.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I thought Sam was Squinkys fan...or was that just her avatar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Serene Highness
No, he only liked my avatar.
I also used to be a fan of her early works, but then she developed that high-brow attitude, sold her soul to Electronic Arts, switched to 256 colours, dubious Adlib sound and soya milk, stopped porting to my Amiga and started hanging out mostly with the elitist people at adventuregamers.com. Such a pity.

edit: FFS! WHY????

Last edited by samIamsad; 09-19-2006 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:27 AM   #66
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
[17:23] <^taurus^> hai,asi pls
[17:23] <^taurus^> asl pls
Shorthand, acronyms, and typos, all in 2 lines. The only thing that speaks for this guy is that he noticed he made a typo.

Anyway - new world record?
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-23-2006, 06:38 PM   #67
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
yo...y suddenly so cold one - lol..not easy eh..cont tmw..
My Malaysian friend is enigmatic on MSN.

Or possibly just incomprehensible.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:47 PM   #68
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I agree entirely. That said, I am annoyed by people that overuse "lol" (as in using it as a default response to anything), though I'm not much better (I tend to type "heh" a lot).
Yes, yes you do. I find 'heh' an irritating response, personally; simply because you wouldn't respond with 'heh' in real life unless you wanted the conversation to come to a swift conclusion.

Incidentally, leading on from this, 'lol' is pronounced the same as 'loll', to rhyme with 'doll'. 'Lawl' is, needless to say, stupid and wrong and anybody who uses it should be shot.

Leading on from this again, 'lol' is so overused that it's lost its potency and I very rarely use it. If something makes me smirk, the default response is a polite 'hee' - the absense of an exclamation mark indicating that I am not actually exploding with mirth - progressing up the scale to the full-blown 'ROFL!!!!!!' with 5000 exclamation marks. This generally only occurs if Lacey has just killed himself in Worms Armageddon or something.

Quote:
Oh, and I always type out text messages in full and with correct punctuation. That is the sign of the person with higher intelligence .
Or simply the sign of the person who's figured out how to use predictive text, where writing messages out in full is actually far easier than jabbing the keys like a demented monkey to cycle through the available letters.

Text messaging definitely has its place - it's become one of my preferred ways of staying in touch with people simply because it's so instantaneous, easy and ubiquitous - but the length restrictions are painful, as are the garbled messages you're likely to receive in response.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:12 PM   #69
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz View Post
Text messaging definitely has its place - it's become one of my preferred ways of staying in touch with people simply because it's so instantaneous, easy and ubiquitous - but the length restrictions are painful, as are the garbled messages you're likely to receive in response.
The irony is that with steady progress being made in voice recognition it won't be long till people talk to their phone to compose and send a text message...

Putting aside the stupidity of that - it will end the run of acronyms and unusual spelling. The current technology which forces more people to write/type in order to communicate (quickly/cheaply) over the internet or via SMS is just exposing those of us (yeah me) who scraped by with a string of C's in high school english

The only thing I recall about english in high school is that one of my teachers was a buxom, young, raven haired Italian siren who's chest lured her male students to the bottom of the class.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
The irony is that with steady progress being made in voice recognition it won't be long till people talk to their phone to compose and send a text message...
That might sound stupid, but there is a benefit / potential point to doing that: to be able to reduce the risk of saying something you'll regret later; if you send a message as a voice recording, you are effectively signing it for if the recipent wants to forward it to anyone, and you're even doing this with a phone conversation if the other person is recording it. Now, there's other ways of doing this, like using some sort of filter or mask that would strip the information which characterizes your voice as yours from the recrding, but that would seem rather odd to most people.

Of course, there's a flip side to such identity masking benefits, ie. facilitation of impersonation.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:27 AM   #71
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I think he meant that the voice recognition would convert your voice to text before sending the message as text, undeaf .

Old 09-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #72
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I think he meant that the voice recognition would convert your voice to text before sending the message as text, undeaf .
He knows. He's saying that benefits of a text version is that it isn't "signed" (see his comments about the voice distortion and recorded messages) and you can still decide not to send it (see the comments contrasting it to a phone conversation). Well, if I didn't misunderstand it, anyway.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #73
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Yes, yes you do. I find 'heh' an irritating response, personally; simply because you wouldn't respond with 'heh' in real life unless you wanted the conversation to come to a swift conclusion.
How do you figure this? "Heh" is a close approximation to a sound actually made by a kind of half chuckle. I hear people do it all the time. I suspect it's used far more genuinely than the LOL variations most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
"/me chuckles", "/me snickers" and "/me giggles" also work fine.
This I don't get. The subject is understood, so why add the Neanderthal grammar killer just to make it longer?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #74
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
"/me chuckles", "/me snickers" and "/me giggles" also work fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
This I don't get. The subject is understood, so why add the Neanderthal grammar killer just to make it longer?
To someone who hasn't Engligsh as first language it sounds really strange. I've seen this methinks as well on the forum, but that turned out to be Shakespearian English (according to Stepurhan)
Old 09-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #75
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
How do you figure this? "Heh" is a close approximation to a sound actually made by a kind of half chuckle. I hear people do it all the time. I suspect it's used far more genuinely than the LOL variations most of the time.
Really? Is that how most people interpret it online?

From literature and even subtitled adventure games, 'heh' for me is an approximation of the audible response when disinterested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
It's an IRC command, which prepends your nickname to whatever your write after it. "/me sniggers" becomes "Jackal sniggers".
Old 09-24-2006, 09:43 AM   #76
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Really? Is that how most people interpret it online?

From literature and even subtitled adventure games, 'heh' for me is an approximation of the audible response when disinterested.
*interprets it the same way*

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #77
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Thankee for explaining for my laughing comments for me, Huz. Methinks ( ) that you folks need to drag Jackal and Jelena into the AG IRC channel at some point.

Anyhoo. I admit I tend to use "heh" a lot myself, just because I need to acknowledge I was paying attention to something someone said, but I don't have a "real" response to give.

For me, "ah" indicates understanding, "oh" indicates puzzlement, "hmm" indicates thinking, "mmm" indicates feeling displeased/disagreement, "hah" indicates amusement, etc. One starts running out of ideas for what to use for just a plain old short and completely neutral acknowledgement.

(Yes, I actually think about this sort of thing. I prefer to be as precise and consistent as possible in my use of language.)

As for text messaging... I just don't get it. If I wanted to talk to someone right away, I'd call them and talk to them. If they weren't available, I'd leave a message on their voicemail (let's face it, anyone who has SMS probably also has voicemail, at least with US cell phone packages). If it could wait before I contacted them, I'd write a proper e-mail or IM them.

I can't think of any situation where I'd want to send a cell phone text message that's short and expensive, and I have to type on a device not designed for it, and I likely won't have enough room to get my complete point across without resorting to abbreviations... yeah. But then, there's a LOT of popular stuff I just don't get because it just seems very impractical to me... *shrugs sheepishly*

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #78
Hopeful skeptic

Ah, okay. The IRC connection certainly makes more sense now. I've certainly heard of "methinks", but I didn't imagine the other variations were derived from Shakespearean English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Hmm, weird. I don't doubt you've seen such things in print, but I'm trying to imagine a kind of vocal equivalent for a use like that, and the closest I can come up with is "huh". Even that doesn't always mean disinterested, though. Maybe I'm just so interesting that no one needs to use it around me. [Also: ]
Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #79

To get back on the lol; I'm not so fond of it and seldom use it, but it doesn't bother me that much. What I can't stand is people "lol"ing their own sentences, as if to point out how funny they are.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #80
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth View Post
To get back on the lol; I'm not so fond of it and seldom use it, but it doesn't bother me that much. What I can't stand is people "lol"ing their own sentences, as if to point out how funny they are.
Agreed. I also find this annoying in spoken conversations, when people insert those incredibly fake sounding laughs into what they're saying.