You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat LOL, ROFL, TTYL, BRB and other aberrations of the English language

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #21
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

And now you're just being weird, only not in an amusing or clever way. Yay.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #22
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

If you had stated what you were trying to say clearly, there would have been no mix-up. Just a minute ago, you said that I spelled "professor" wrong, when I spelled it like that .................................................. ... ^ Then, when I went to the misspelled post, it was spelled "proffessor, which is wrong. So I fixed it.

Don't be confusing the issue, now.

Last edited by Giligan; 09-17-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:33 AM   #23
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Actually, you never fixed it the first time. Honest!

Old 09-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #24
The Greater

Hmm. *goes back to page 1 to check post*

Terribly sorry, but it shows that the word in my original post is spelled "professor". Are you sure you've checked it since I editied it?

Last edited by Giligan; 09-17-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:50 AM   #25
Live Slow Die Old

Well I certainly intended to include abbreviations in the original post about netspeak (as opposed to limiting it to acronyms). Thx instead thanks and all the rest. I find this kind of lingo to be somewhat disrespectful to the person you're talking to. Like you can't be bothered to hit a few extra keys on your keyboard for them.

And what pisses me off about LOL, LMAO and all those is that when you write them, are you really rolling on the floor laughing? Doubtful, so why say you are? A simple "hee hee" or "that was pretty funny" would be a bit more fitting, I find. Everything becomes sort of exaggerated with the various versions of LOL, and in the end it seems more like an easy, cheap response than an honest reaction to what someone is saying.

I'm not sure why this bothers me so much. I don't write this way and no one I know does either, but every time I come accross it I can't help but to think that this doesn't bode well for the evolutiuon of language.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #26
Live Slow Die Old

And there's also the issue that no one knows or cares anymore how words are spelled even when they're not trying to abbreviate. It seems like there's only a handful of people online who understand the difference between "their" and "they're" and "it's" and "its." Poor spelling is certainly forgivable, I couldn't care less if someone makes a mistake. I do all the time. But "their" and "they're" have two completely different meaning and no one seems to know or care what they are.

It makes me think of Ebonics. It's like a trashier version of English that becomes more and more accepted as parents use it around their children and no one corrects anyone for saying "I'ma aks him a question." You don't "aks" someone anything, you "ask" it, for fuck's sake. Is that so hard to say? And "their" not having fun, "they're" having fun!

It starts on the internet, but one day we'll find it in our textbooks.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #27
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Something I've always wanted to ask... do native speakers of non-English languages tend to be just as cavalier with their spelling/grammar/etc. in their native language, or is it mainly an English phenomenon?
Same thing for Germans and Russians ("wat willsu lol", "ПРЕВЕД, КАГ ДИЛА" just to name a few examples). The Russians developed some unspoken rules about misspelling words though and use certain frases as memes quite often - far more often than English speakers, thus it doesn't bother one this much (like "kthxbai" in English - rather sarcastic use of usual misspells, or the famous "y helo thar").
Old 09-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I don't mind the acronyms but like Jeysie said, typing u instead of you e.g. annoys me. I don't think it's a sign of low intelligence but reflects the fast paced (I don't know if that's quite the right thing) aspect of today. Why bother typing out the entire word when one letter will do. It just appears lazy. Some of that text speak though seems like it would be harder to type out with the varied capitalization and symbols. It's just funky to me.
It's not just because people are too lazy, they're also too technically unapt, ignorant and stupid to switch to a more efficient typing system, like something along the lines of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltron_keyboard
Old 09-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #29
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Freaky looking keyboard. I wouldn't want to use it, though... I had to use a split keyboard at work occasionally, and, since I'm not a touch typist, I found it irritating.

Then again, despite the ungodly amounts of time I spend each day using my computer, I've never had wrist problems. (I *do* have them at my roommate's desk using his computer, though, since his keyboard and mouse aren't in good spots.)

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #30
Lazy Bee

*ahem*
I'd really like to know what ROFL stands for. I honestly don't know.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #31

Rolling on the floor laughing
Old 09-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #32
The Greater

I've always found that rolling on the floor laughing earned me not a lot of pleasure, but a lot of lint and cat hairs in the mouth.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #33
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Eww. Myspace. It's not only full of netspeak, but also busy backgrounds that make text illegible and embedded music that plays automatically whether you want it to or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Oh, and I always type out text messages in full and with correct punctuation. That is the sign of the person with higher intelligence .
Me too! And what's even more sad is that I do that in all my IM's as well...

And by the way, here's something fun to play with. Don't know if it's ever been posted on these boards before...
Old 09-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #34
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
And by the way, here's something fun to play with. Don't know if it's ever been posted on these boards before...
That's pretty funny. If only there was a translator that did the reverse.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #35
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Squinky, I think you meant this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
3W!!!1!! LOL MYSPAEC!!!1! OMG ITS NOT ONLEY FUL OF N3TSPEAK BUT ALSO BUSY BAKGROUNDS TAHT MAEK TEXT ILAGIBLE AND AMBD3D MUSIC TAHT PLAYS AU2MATICALY WHETHER U WANT IT 2 OR NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLAECY
O AND I ALWAYS TYPE OUT TEXT MASAEGS IN FUL AND WIT CORACT PUNCTUATION!!!!111!1 OMG WTF TAHT SI DA SIGN OF DA PARSON WIT HIGHAR INT3LIEGNCE
M3!1!1!111! LOL 2!!!11! OMG WTF LOL AND WUT EV3N MOR3 SAD SI TAHT I DO TAHT IN AL MAH IMS AS WAL.
AND!1!!!11!111!!!!111 WTF LOL BY TEH WAY HERAS SOMETHNG FUN 2 PLAY WITH!11!11! OMG WTF LOL DONT KNOW IF ITS 3VAR B3N POST3D ON TH3SA BOARDS BFORE.!11!!!!!!!1111! OMG LOL
Get it right...

Old 09-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #36
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Oh, and I always type out text messages in full
Thank god, I'm not alone.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #37
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Oh, and I always type out text messages in full and with correct punctuation. That is the sign of the person with higher intelligence .
Verily, despite the small impediment involved. Text messaging needn't be merely a test of finger speeds.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #38
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Of course, as I just noticed on myspace, effort is relative. I just sent two messages in deliberate "AOL speak". My head hurts. That was hard. I hope the recipient appreciates it.

Here's the second message (spoilerised to avoid collateral pain by reading it):

Spoiler:
subject: yo dude
i wuz about 2 send u my thots ovar email cuz myspace sucks horse dick & just b4 i clickd send it worked here. ok?! ok. anywayz i missd signing it so here goez:

luv u,
neikebitch
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢

Last edited by pinkgothic; 09-18-2006 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:50 AM   #39
Creepy Father Figure

The thing I love about all these acronyms is that my spelling is terrible and you can't notice it now a days for the fct i cnt spl
Old 09-18-2006, 08:08 AM   #40
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Spawned by the message just posted, I decided to add a "Languages" section to my myspace profile (I really like playing with it lately, even if I do next to nothing on myspace except for bug BoyToy in an ironic way) :

Quote:
  • english: show-off levels
  • german: mothertongue (slowly being crippled with well-aimed blows)
    Sprich, wenn du auch Deutsch sprichst, kannst du mich einfach in dieser Sprache anchatten, wenn dir das leichter fällt. Sei gewarnt - mir fällt es nicht leichter, ich bin etwas langsamer, wenn es darum geht, Deutsch zu schreiben, denn ich stolpere manchmal über einige Schreibweisen - ich übe schließlich nicht, während ich im Gegensatz dazu täglich in Englisch tippe.
  • AOL speak: can read and write but makes mistakes
    sok if u want 2 talk 2 me ritin lik a retrd. i can do dat 2!!!1 but as u can c ive got deficits in dat i use 2 big wurds n use fairly propr punctuation n i also like 2 forgt aolizin sum wurds.. n im vry slw ritin sry!!!.. but sok!! i try u try we get along. ok?! ok.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢