You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Words You can No Longer Use

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
I hate when people pronounce twat as "twot."
How do you pronounce the one hiding in wristwatch?

I know.
It's different.
I'm just playing.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #122
Lovable rogue

Clever.

Look what's hiding in the town of Scunthorpe.

I'm sure Seebsie will be happy to pronounce it for you.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #123
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
I'm reminded of that scene in the movie Airplane! where somebody says, "It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!" and everyone else in the scene says, at the same time, "It's an entirely different kind of flying!"
Hahahaha, I've never 'got' that joke before. Brilliant!
Quote:
(Gah, it pains me to quote that movie...)
It pains me to have to STAB YOU IN THE FACE for dissing my favourite comedy film...

I was going to make similar points about altogether and already, etc - especially about albeit - but then I couldn't be arsed. It did remind me of a nonsensical piece of prose I once read where words like 'chalant' and 'shevelled' - the obvious yet nonexistent opposites to 'nonchalant' and 'dishevelled' - were used. Sometimes language just isn't logical.

I've just Googled it and discovered it lurking in this thread's evil twin if anyone's interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat
AOL certainly found it when they first launched in the UK - anyone from the town was unable to sign up via their free trial CD. See also: ICQ banning the word "cock" from profiles, even though it's a valid part of many surnames (including the excellent "cockburn", sadly not pronounced phonetically). Whoops!
Old 06-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #124
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
It pains me to have to STAB YOU IN THE FACE for dissing my favourite comedy film...
Ahh, that is a legendary film, back when Leslie Nielson was in funny stuff. Might have to rewatch the Naked Gun again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
AOL certainly found it when they first launched in the UK - anyone from the town was unable to sign up via their free trial CD. See also: ICQ banning the word "cock" from profiles, even though it's a valid part of many surnames (including the excellent "cockburn", sadly not pronounced phonetically). Whoops!
I used to have a teacher called Cockburn. I remember deliberatley misspelling his name 'coburn' on my exercise book cos I thought I'd get in trouble for writing it properly. He was a complete cock though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
Clever.

I'm sure Seebsie will be happy to pronounce it for you.
Ah man, that reminds me of a hymn we used to sing at school as well. There was a line in it that went "we nourish it with rain", which of course we used to sing "We nooourish SHIT! with raaaaaain..." Ahhh, my sense of humour hasn't improved much

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 06-05-2006, 04:07 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
BBMTYS.

That's why.

-
That doesn't help much...

Seriously, though, there is such a thing as 1000%, as in "Wow, my salary has just been raised by 1000%".
Not that "He's 1000% cool!" is a reasonable way of using it, of course.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I love it when non francophones are trying to pronounce french words with a french accent. It usually sounds cute, plus the opposite would make the word absolutely impossible to understand for me.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #126
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Oh, and by the way, I love it when non francophones are trying to pronounce french words with a french accent. It usually sounds cute, plus the opposite would make the word absolutely impossible to understand for me.

If I can be taught to pronounce your name properly, any other words I encounter should be easy to learn.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #127
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I suppose I really must resign myself to the fact that everyone else likes that movie for reasons I cannot fathom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I was going to make similar points about altogether and already, etc - especially about albeit - but then I couldn't be arsed.
Er... did you mean you were going to make the same point as AFGNCAAP, or the same points I made in response to him?

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."

Last edited by Jeysie; 06-05-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #128
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
That doesn't help much...

Seriously, though, there is such a thing as 1000%, as in "Wow, my salary has just been raised by 1000%".
Not that "He's 1000% cool!" is a reasonable way of using it, of course.
BBMTYS = Because Basic Maths Tells You So.

It's true that something can be raised 1000%. But I'm afraid that my sister's boyfriend only uses it for things like "We are gonna win! That's 1000% sure!" (or the "1000% cool" thing).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #129

Quote:
BBMTYS = Because Basic Maths Tells You So.

It's true that something can be raised 1000%. But I'm afraid that my sister's boyfriend only uses it for things like "We are gonna win! That's 1000% sure!" (or the "1000% cool" thing).

-
I'm not that sure that "We are gonna win!, that's 79% sure:" is correct either, for that matter. Or even "that's 100% sure", not that I think about it. It looks awfully suspicious to be allowed to use percentages this way, if you ask me.

Not that is matter, really, since "1000% sure" sounds really stupid, no matter how wrong or right it is.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:37 AM   #130
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I'm with AFGNCAAP.

Quote:
Finally, I don't think I've ever heard the phrase "all be it" used ever,
You don't talk to me much, do you?
I kid, of course. I use 'albeit' a lot, but never 'all be it'.

But just because you don't see it's archaic form around anymore hardly means that it didn't spawn from that, and is thus technically synonymous. Or was, at the very least. "All right" becoming "alright" is a natural process you're probably not going to stop. I used to be pedantic about "all right" myself, but it's been incapable of settling in my subconscious mind, and now I catch myself using "alright" every once in a while. Really, it doesn't hurt.

Personally, I prefer going one step further and saying "A'ight". Which usually follows right after a stern question or command, meaning, read it as "YESSIRRIGHTAWAYSIR".

Or ma'am.

But that aside.

The second paragraph here is interesting. Didn't know that about 'also' and 'Amen'.. The usage note here is interesting - see 'This is peculiar,' and so on. And I want to research! *whines!* But I have to go.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 06-06-2006, 04:52 AM   #131

Quote:
I'm not that sure that "We are gonna win!, that's 79% sure:" is correct either, for that matter. Or even "that's 100% sure", not that I think about it. It looks awfully suspicious to be allowed to use percentages this way, if you ask me.

Not that is matter, really, since "1000% sure" sounds really stupid, no matter how wrong or right it is.

It sounds extremely stupid in german, where "100%", "1000%" (or any number of percent) can be said as one word ("hundertprozentig" and "tausendprozentig" respectively. The same with any other percent, though you'd rarely hear something like "zwanzigprozentig" [20%], unless it is used in the intended way to denote a probability or something you use percentage for usually. "A probability/chance of 20%" would be "Eine zwanzigprozentige Wahrscheinlichkeit". Also, if something is as being "hundertfünzigprozentig" [150%] something, then the person speaking is using it in an insulting way to say that the thing or person being talked about is overly something. Though I've never heard that last one used before.), in which case it becomes an adjective. It can't really be transferred to the English language, but if somebody says, for example: "Der Geldschein ist tausendprozentig gefälscht!" it is more likely to make me flinch than when someone says the same thing in English ("This bank note is counterfeit with a certainty of 1000%!" That's the best I can do to translate it.).

It's not only the fact that it is *wrong*, but in german it sounds even more wrong, since you don't actually have to add "Wahrscheinlichkeit"/"Certainty of" to the percentage, but can instead use the percentage as an adjective. In that case, the "100%" can also mean "for sure" or "absolutely sure" (like in the last example), so it is redundant to say "1000%", because you can't be any more sure than "absolutely sure".

-

Old 06-06-2006, 04:56 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Personally, I prefer going one step further and saying "A'ight". Which usually follows right after a stern question or command, meaning, read it as "YESSIRRIGHTAWAYSIR".

Or ma'am.
I remember watching a performance of the English play "Blithe Spirit" this year, and the way the maid of the household always pronounced "Yes, Sir." and "Yes, Madam".

She did not simply say "Yes, Ma'am", but went a step further and said "Yes'um.", similar to the way that "Yes, Sir." becomes "Yessir." (which she also said all the time.).

Now imagine that with a voice that suggests something between fright and wide-eyed amazement (and she also acted that way. It was a great play.)

-

Old 06-06-2006, 04:59 AM   #133
Dungeon Master

Quote:

My point exactly. "1000% sure" may sound childish (and does, if you ask me), but to use maths to prove it is inappropriate if we allow equally counterlogical "87", "50" or "99 % sure".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
I'm with AFGNCAAP.
I'm taken, but thanks, honey.*

*flirt

Quote:
But just because you don't see it's archaic form around anymore hardly means that it didn't spawn from that, and is thus technically synonymous. Or was, at the very least. "All right" becoming "alright" is a natural process you're probably not going to stop. I used to be pedantic about "all right" myself, but it's been incapable of settling in my subconscious mind, and now I catch myself using "alright" every once in a while. Really, it doesn't hurt.
Exactly. Also consider "anymore"/"any more".

Hmm... that "amen" sounds rather suspicious, actually. Isn't it a Hebrew word? (By the way, did anyone notice how many spelling mistakes they managed to make while defending their non-mistake? )
Old 06-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #134
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Exactly. Also consider "anymore"/"any more".
Part of me says that such evolution is natural, the same as "to-morrow" and "light-house" were considered the correct spellings at the beginning of the 20th century.

Another (and more vocal) part of me says that ANYMORE ISN'T A WORD YOU ****ING BASTARD.

That part of me means no offence.

This thread is upsetting. I'm out of here.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:40 AM   #135
Dungeon Master

"Surely you can't be serious?"
Old 06-06-2006, 05:55 AM   #136
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
"Surely you can't be serious?"
Hehe, don't call me Shirley! I can't believe you don't like that film Jeysie.

Despite being the biggest spelling & grammar demon around, Rob's been surprisingly quiet on this thread. Meanwhile the rest of us have been bitching non-stop The thought of footy in 3 days is placating me though.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 06-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #137
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Meanwhile the rest of us have been bitching non-stop
Have I? I'm sorry; I thought I was only counter-bitching. A'ight?

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #138
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm just watching this thread and smiling ...

:EDIT: To clarify, I don't have a problem with words like "anymore" or "tomorrow" because they're now so common. That won't stop me from fighting against further changes, though .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:28 AM   #139
Lovable rogue

Isn't etymology fun!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #140

Quote:
It sounds extremely stupid in german, where "100%", "1000%" (or any number of percent) can be said as one word ("hundertprozentig" and "tausendprozentig" respectively. The same with any other percent, though you'd rarely hear something like "zwanzigprozentig" [20%], unless it is used in the intended way to denote a probability or something you use percentage for usually. "A probability/chance of 20%" would be "Eine zwanzigprozentige Wahrscheinlichkeit". Also, if something is as being "hundertfünzigprozentig" [150%] something, then the person speaking is using it in an insulting way to say that the thing or person being talked about is overly something. Though I've never heard that last one used before.), in which case it becomes an adjective. It can't really be transferred to the English language, but if somebody says, for example: "Der Geldschein ist tausendprozentig gefälscht!" it is more likely to make me flinch than when someone says the same thing in English ("This bank note is counterfeit with a certainty of 1000%!" That's the best I can do to translate it.).

It's not only the fact that it is *wrong*, but in german it sounds even more wrong, since you don't actually have to add "Wahrscheinlichkeit"/"Certainty of" to the percentage, but can instead use the percentage as an adjective. In that case, the "100%" can also mean "for sure" or "absolutely sure" (like in the last example), so it is redundant to say "1000%", because you can't be any more sure than "absolutely sure".

-
But isn't "Der Geldschein ist hundertprozentig gefälscht!" false too?
I mean, when did 100% become an adjective?
(note that we have the same in french, as in "Je suis sûr Ã* 100% que...", and I don't really like it in french either)