Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Words You can No Longer Use (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/15217-words-you-can-no-longer-use.html)

SamNMax 05-31-2006 11:27 AM

Words You can No Longer Use

We all have words that, when we hear them, we get really pissed off. Please post your list of words that you hate so that we can make this fine establishment even better and not use those words from now on. So:
  • Celtic (with a "k" sound)
  • Food
  • Hodge-podge (it's not even a real word. God I hate that stupid phrase)
  • Boxes

I guess that's it. Now, the words food and boxes are common words and I didn't always hate them. Sometimes it's the way someone says a word that makes you hate it. That's the case for those two.

MoriartyL 05-31-2006 11:36 AM

• Game industry
  • Interactive Fiction (so broad a term that it limits the freedom of expression when talking about anything else)
  • Action-adventure (because it never means what it implies)
  • Sick (because I never know what it means anymore)

UPtimist 05-31-2006 11:36 AM

• Pet Peeves.

That's currently what I have in English (well, I can stand the use of it, if you must). I would, however, have quite a large list in Finnish :P

MoriartyL 05-31-2006 11:39 AM

Oh and "deoderant", because it's so misleading a word! It doesn't actually eliminate the smell, it just replaces it with something ten times as foul. I insist on calling it "reoderant".

Sage 05-31-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamNMax
We all have words that, when we hear them, we get really pissed off. Please post your list of words that you hate so that we can make this fine establishment even better and not use those words from now on. So:
  • Celtic (with a "k" sound)
  • Food
  • Hodge-podge (it's not even a real word. God I hate that stupid phrase)
  • Boxes

I guess that's it. Now, the words food and boxes are common words and I didn't always hate them. Sometimes it's the way someone says a word that makes you hate it. That's the case for those two.

I think "Celtic" with a "k" sound is the proper pronunciation, but perhaps our UK friends could correct me if I'm wrong.
How often does the term "hodge-podge" come up in everyday conversation? I'll try to refrain from using it in future.
The other two on your list intrigue me. What pronunciations of "Food" and "Boxes" do you find offensive?

Jazhara7 05-31-2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
I think "Celtic" with a "k" sound is the proper pronunciation, but perhaps our UK friends could correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, there is no official pronounciation. Although wikipedia says that the current academic preference is "Celtic" with the "K" pronounciation (Which is fine by me, since the german word, "Keltisch", has only a "K" pronounciation anyway, and it's easier to remember if they are both that way.)

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Spiwak 05-31-2006 01:23 PM

--ghetto used as an adjective
--sorry (I can't stand apologizing and for some reason I can't stand when people apologize to me)
--woot (or the more common woot-woot)
--wicked! used as an exclamation
--God used as a proper noun (I kid, I kid)

Lucien21 05-31-2006 01:25 PM

If you are talking about Celtic the football team then it's Cell -tic if you mean Celtic as in a the Race of people then it's Kel-tic.

Lucien21 05-31-2006 01:27 PM

What about Po-Tah-toe or Po-Tae-Toe?

Jazhara7 05-31-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiwak
--wicked! used as an exclamation

You must be unable to watch the Harry Potter movies then...and to read the books, too.

What's so bad about "Wicked!"? It's such a nice, expressive word. Perfect for an exclamation.

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Spiwak 05-31-2006 01:31 PM

I can't stand it after seeing Mr Deeds. Every five minutes "Wicked Awesome!" or something. Got on my nerves.

I make it through all the Harry Potter stuff, but I cringe when I hear the word-that-shall-not-be-named.

artwking4 05-31-2006 01:34 PM

Franchise -- as pertaining to videogame licenses, as though they were a "restaurant/business franchise opportunity!", and any schmuck with a few $100K could make a game based on it. Like we see 23 Subway restaurant franchises pop up in an area. We won't see 23 different Halo games on the market at any one time. Franchise... I die a little inside each time I see the word used in that way.

MoriartyL 05-31-2006 01:36 PM

Good one.

Spiwak 05-31-2006 01:38 PM

--The Industry, referring to Hollywood or the Film Industry (yes, cue from Adaptation, but it does get to me now)

MoriartyL 05-31-2006 01:41 PM

You know what, why don't we go ahead and make the generalization
  • industry (for any art)

artwking4 05-31-2006 01:58 PM

Hehe... the modeling industry.

seebaruk 05-31-2006 02:08 PM

I know what you mean about 'wicked!', especially when used like "Dude, it's wicked hot out here." I hate crappy song titles that try hard to be cool, like fecking Pussycat Dolls - "stick witchu" or whatever the hell it is, learn how to speak english you talentless ****ing whores! And all the words that Sean Paul makes up in his shite songs. Example:

Well enough likkle girl dem bought they own dem got di goody goody
One ting mi haffi tell dem Dutty got di woody woody
Frontway backway Dutty K man have di shooby shooby
Virgin dem waan gimme and mi have to tooky tooky

What the **** man.

RLacey 05-31-2006 02:11 PM

I don't hate the words "your", "you're", "there", "their" and "they're", but I can't stand their misuse. People really should know better...

SamNMax 05-31-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott

I don't care if it's the "right pronunciation" or not. It still pisses me off.

Quote:

How often does the term "hodge-podge" come up in everyday conversation? I'll try to refrain from using it in future.
Too ****ing often.

Quote:

The other two on your list intrigue me. What pronunciations of "Food" and "Boxes" do you find offensive?
No, there's no form of pronunciation about those words that piss me off. It's the tone of voice that people have said it that's pissed me off.

tabacco 05-31-2006 02:12 PM

I hate abbreviations like 'ur' and '2' (in place of 'too'), and so on.