Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Words You can No Longer Use (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/15217-words-you-can-no-longer-use.html)

Ninth 06-06-2006 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm just watching this thread and smiling :D...

:EDIT: To clarify, I don't have a problem with words like "anymore" or "tomorrow" because they're now so common. That won't stop me from fighting against further changes, though ;).

Why, is it supposed to be "any more" (which wouldn't surprise me), and "to morrow" (which I've never seen before)?

Jazhara7 06-06-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
But isn't "Der Geldschein ist hundertprozentig gefälscht!" false too?
I mean, when did 100% become an adjective?
(note that we have the same in french, as in "Je suis sûr Ã* 100% que...", and I don't really like it in french either)

"Hundertprozentig" is an adjective. "Hundert Prozent" is not. It's been ever since I could think, and probably for a long time before that.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Huz 06-06-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm just watching this thread and smiling :D...

:EDIT: To clarify, I don't have a problem with words like "anymore" or "tomorrow" because they're now so common. That won't stop me from fighting against further changes, though ;).

Anymore isn't common. Used by common people, maybe... :shifty: :P

Melanie68 06-06-2006 10:26 AM

Re: alright/all right

Is Bob Dylan evil?

Another explanation

Personally, I don't get the hatred for the word. It's just a word.

pinkgothic 06-06-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
Is Bob Dylan evil?

Yes!

pinkgothic 06-06-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I'm taken, but thanks, honey.

:shifty:
So am I.
Twice.
Polygamy solves everything! :D

Melanie68 06-06-2006 11:19 AM

For misusing a word or are there other reasons? :D

pinkgothic 06-06-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
For misusing a word or are there other reasons? :D

Other reasons. Reasons so terrifying I dare not speak of them. I have to think of the children, afterall... :crazy:

Jeysie 06-06-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seebaruk
Hehe, don't call me Shirley! :D I can't believe you don't like that film Jeysie.

1. Not a big fan of puns unless they're clever. (Some of the wordplay was clever, but see #3 below.)

2. Not a big fan of random/out of left field humor. Vastly prefer humor that evolves logically from the circumstances. (For instance, the whole "red zone/white zone" bit was funny until it derailed into complete WTF?-ness at the end.)

3. Not a big fan of the exact same joke being used five zillion times in the same film... especially when almost every joke in the film ends up being recycled that way. I love running gags, but used judiciously, and there needs to be some variety in how the gag is repeated.

I think the only part of the movie I found unreservedly funny was the whole "I speak Jive..." bit.

Anyhoo.

As for the topic at hand... let me put it this way:

When "alright" actually evolves to the point where it means something *different* than "all right", (as other similar "smushings" have) I'll stop kvetching. Until then, I'll keep grinding my teeth over it and correcting it whenever I see it in something I'm copyediting.

Peace & Luv, Liz

Melanie68 06-06-2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Other reasons. Reasons so terrifying I dare not speak of them. I have to think of the children, afterall... :crazy:

Fair enough... but if you're ever feeling mischevious and children be damned, let us know what they are. :P

RLacey 06-06-2006 12:39 PM

I think the words "adventure" and "games" should be banned. It would make life more amusing.

MoriartyL 06-06-2006 12:46 PM

And I say we ban the names Robert, Lacey, and everything rhyming with them! That would make your life a little more amusing too! (For us.) :D

seebaruk 06-07-2006 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeysie
1. Not a big fan of puns unless they're clever. (Some of the wordplay was clever, but see #3 below.)

2. Not a big fan of random/out of left field humor. Vastly prefer humor that evolves logically from the circumstances. (For instance, the whole "red zone/white zone" bit was funny until it derailed into complete WTF?-ness at the end.)

3. Not a big fan of the exact same joke being used five zillion times in the same film... especially when almost every joke in the film ends up being recycled that way. I love running gags, but used judiciously, and there needs to be some variety in how the gag is repeated.

I think the only part of the movie I found unreservedly funny was the whole "I speak Jive..." bit.

Anyhoo.

As for the topic at hand... let me put it this way:

When "alright" actually evolves to the point where it means something *different* than "all right", (as other similar "smushings" have) I'll stop kvetching. Until then, I'll keep grinding my teeth over it and correcting it whenever I see it in something I'm copyediting.

Peace & Luv, Liz

Alright then :D

AFGNCAAP 06-07-2006 07:20 AM

Any way: every body, please don't bad mouth Air plane! any more. :P

tabacco 06-08-2006 07:41 AM

Not sure if anybody's posted it yet, but...

Nucular (sic).

Karasu 06-08-2006 09:59 AM

I dislike the word "Irrational" and the overuse of the word "Christ" in swearing (much like when people overuse "Oh my God"). Don't ask me about "Irrational" though, I have no idea where my hate for that word comes from...

RLacey 06-08-2006 10:03 AM

So, you're saying that your dislike of that word is entirely...

Karasu 06-08-2006 10:19 AM

Yes, I-word. See? I goes both ways.:P

Jazhara7 06-11-2006 11:29 PM

I just found another one.

"Prolly" instead of "Probably". "Prolly" sounds like something you'd expect from a cat in heat.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)