You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Your handle, title, avatar & sig...explain.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 10:48 PM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default Your handle, title, avatar & sig...explain.

This thread of course, is an excuse to introduce myself, & learn more about youse as well.

I'm Marko, and Mares is my nickname. I like it because it sounds like a combo of the names Mars and Ares, the Roman and Greek gods of war. Hence the title "Greco-Roman," which is also a riddle about my ethnic origins (which I love talking about, but wont unless anyone asks ...hint hint) I'm anti war by the way :eek:
In keeping with the Greco-Roman theme, I use my Ben avatar because he looks representative of the Mediterranean race (which I myself don't look like)

Finally, my sig is a cool Latin saying I found on the net. I like these because my brother used to quote them all the time, although the ones he memorised weren't more than 2 or 3 words long

OK Bye
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-14-2004, 11:06 PM   #2
Liver of Life

Welcome Mares!

My name is Kode, essentially, my last name. I often also go by krkode, which has my initials added to my last name, basically.

My avatar is that of Robin Hood played by Kevin Costner from the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I've always held a great admiration for Robin Hood ever since I first saw Disney's version of it. Since then I've seen many other movie versions, and in my more recent reading-years I've even read Sir Scott's version of his story. It turns out it doesn't end as happy as the movies do. Oh well, Robin Hood it is, and that's why he's here.

My handle, "Liver of Life", I think just represents what I feel I ought to do for life. Live it.

And finally, my signature - "The Anticipation is Intoxicating" - represents the worry that my future college admissions decisions are causing me right now. I got into UCLA, though.

As you can see, my "things", unlike yours, don't quite fit into a unified picture, but that's okay. I'm still Kode.

Welcome again.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:21 PM   #3

Welcome to the boards, Mares!

My name is nordic_guy, because it was the geekiest I could come up with. Nah, but I don't really have a reason. I just needed a nickname.

I'd have to thank Garyos for my beautiful avatar. I was having some troubles. It's of Klaymen from The Neverhood. A great adventure game!
Oh, and thanks to zarathustrian for trying.

And finally; My siggywhat?

Last edited by nordic_guy; 03-15-2004 at 03:40 AM.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:30 PM   #4
merely human

Default Welcom to AG, Mares.

Intrepid Homoludens : intrepid was what I found out about myself, my emotional and spiritual strength, back in 1995-97 when I had lived in Los Angeles, the two worst years of my life. Homo ludens is Latin for 'man who plays games'.

'frugally urbane' : I'm poor but have just moved back into the city after 3 years of living a kind of death, a hermetic existence in a near rural part of Illinois. I was born in a city (Manila), grew up in the city (Chicago), and live of the city. My life, my artmaking, and my writing mostly come out from this.

avatar : a painting by conceptual artist Gerhardt Richter, one of my favourites.

sig : a quote plucked from a splendid phone conversation with a close friend, who is also an artist like me, and is writing stories based on her experiences with profound epiphanies, celebrity, the music industry, and her brief stay in a mental hospital during a bout of depression.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-15-2004, 12:30 AM   #5
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Um... AGA is short for what my title is (I used to go by the full name as my nick, but everyone used to just call me AGA for short, so I eventually adopted the shortened version). My avatar is Larry from LSL5. My signature a) states my position at Adventure Gamers b) pimps my website and c) quotes remixor saying something I thought was very appropriate.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:49 AM   #6

My name is Dusty. For some reason I added "Cropper" to my name to come up with DustCropper. I wish I knew why. And not only that, my sig comes from my name as well. That sexy hunk you see to your left is none other than your's truly... erm, me. Did I mention I'm single?

As for my title, I'm constantly looking for adventure (and not just in my computer games!)

Mares: welcome to the forums! 8-)
Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 AM   #7

I'm SerialFreak. It's a stupid user name that I made up when I first got the internet. It would be cool if I could change my user name to DC (My initials. ) My avatar is pretty much just something random.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:07 AM   #8
comfortably numb

My 'handle' is doing just fine, thank you for asking.

But seriously, Swordmaster is (obviously) from the Monkey Island series and somehow ended up as my nickname since it was the first unregistered nickname that crossed my mind when I first logged on to Dalnet back in 1997 or so.

'Comfortably numb' is from the Pink Floyd song, and now also the Scissor Sisters cover, and quite aptly describes my dominant state of mind.

The avatar is from the anime Cowboy Bebop.

The signature is just something random.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:08 AM   #9
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I hope Jake explains his user name, it's always puzzled me.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-15-2004, 03:16 AM   #10
Under pressure.

Erwin is my first name, and Br are the first letters of my surname.

Hmm, my avatar represents the lead character from my own game that I'm currently developing. The signature is supposed to be pimping it's website.

--Erwin
Old 03-15-2004, 06:26 AM   #11
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I'd like to say I have a huge, compelling story of how I picked my name, but I really just picked it at random and stuck with it.

'Rockula: A Rocking Vampire'. I have no idea what this means, but I just figured if there was a vampire that rocked, he would name himself Rockula.

The avatar's for Club Dread, a movie from the guys who made Super Troopers. I'd recommend you go see it, but it's pretty much gone from all theatres in North America already.

The signature is self-explanatory.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 03-15-2004, 07:47 AM   #12

Welcome, Mares!

I used to play splitscreen Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (a cool plaform game) with my brother and the thing was that you could name your characters. I went with Ninja Bunny and labelled my brother's character Dodo. He didn't like that too much, so in the end we changed mine to the compromise "Ninja Dodo" and his name to "Jaws". Then I opened my (at the time mostly Jazz2 themed) website with the name "the last Dodo habitat". It kinda stuck... The fact that it's so strange that I don't ever run into somebody else with the same name when I try to register at a website also helps, though.

My title... well, the Dodos clearly never went extinct, but close enough.

My avatar is a still from an animation I made. Check out my website if you want to see it.

The signature is from Alice in Wonderland.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:24 AM   #13
Dessert

Custard, from Dangermouse cartoon (Custard Mite of Glutt)

my avatar would be this, but im lazy
Old 03-15-2004, 09:30 AM   #14
Friendly Server Admin

My username is tabacco because it's my last name and I prefer to use that rather than my gaming nickname of "omicronian" on forums and whatnot. The name's of Italian origin, since my great-grandparents on my father's father's side were from Sicily.

My avatar is Bender from the cancelled Fox show Futurama. It comes from the following scene:

Quote:
Fry: What's with the specs Bender?

Bender: They're my lucky shades. I stole them off some lucky guy while his lucky seeing eye dog was taking a whiz.
Needless to say, I like Futurama
Old 03-15-2004, 09:51 AM   #15
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

uh, let's see: Yorick the King's Jester ergo Kingzjester. I always associated myself with the fool from King Lear, but since he had no palpable name, I opted for a named Shakespearian fook, albeit dead. Avatar is Mr. T. pixelated because I liked the graphic and 'gentleman cavalier' is just another in a long list of paradoxes that make me grin. Moreso because cavalier means gentleman in some languages.

Why Marko with a K?
Then again, why Kingzjester with a Z?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:10 AM   #16
soffistical

Avatar? Not saying! Name, well, it's my nick IRL so it's good enough online too I guess... Sig... now what is my sig again...? *scratching my head*
Old 03-15-2004, 11:46 AM   #17
This Space for Rent

Nickname: My first initial and last name.
Avatar/Title: Currently Max shrugging his shoulders, with the caption "Stage 5: Acceptance." It reflects my state of mind about the now cancelled Sam and Max: Freelance Police, which is that, though I wish it hadn't happened, I've accepted it and am ready to move on to other things, like Beneath a Steel Sky 2. Pretty soon, I'll probably change my avatar back to something Tim Schafer-related, for two reasons: 1) Tim Schafer rocks my socks off, and 2) It'll be a good way to advertise Moosferatu's site Tim Fandango, where I'm a news updater and content writer.
Signature: A few choice lines from the U2 song "The Fly," because that song seems to be stuck in my head more than any other song these days.

Welcome to the AG forums, Mares!

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Seattle too. Excellent. There are at least 3 of us now. Soon we will take over the world. But first I need a nap.
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:17 PM   #18
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Nickname: This is actually the name I gave to my freeware website, as my surname is LACEY and the site distributes FreeWARE. Originally I used the name as my nickname because it was free advertising, but now it's because I can't be bothered to change it on hundreds of forums...

Avatar: Based on the logo of the company mentioned above. Animated because I thought it looked funky at the time.

Signature: Pretty self-explanatory, with a couple of links which I alter every now and again.

Anyways, welcome Mares. Always nice to see a new face!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:50 PM   #19
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Username: Sometime just before I was born, my parents decided that if they had a boy, they'd name him Jacob after my dad's grandfather, and if they had a girl, they'd name her Elizabeth, after nobody in particular that I am aware of. They had a boy and I was named Jacob, but my dad always called me Jake, so that's where my highly original, awesome username came from.

Avatar: It's Raz the main chararacter from the upcoming excellent game Psychonauts. He is awesome.

Title: I don't know what this says about me exactly, but its one of the few lines that made me laugh out loud in Escape From Monkey Island. One of the few awesome lines.

Sig: Its kind of obvious, isn't it? I always thought the double italicized exclamation marks in old NES games were funny, so thats why those were there. Awesome.

Spoiler:
(obstacle courses)

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-15-2004, 05:01 PM   #20
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Why Marko with a K?
Then again, why Kingzjester with a Z?
That's how we spell it where I'm from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishler
EDIT: Just noticed you're in Seattle too. Excellent. There are at least 3 of us now. Soon we will take over the world. But first I need a nap.
Don't tell anyone but I actually live in Bothell...ish.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem