You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Do you regret the decisions you have made in your life?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 12:25 AM   #21
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
So now, here I am thinking about either resuming my psychology degree or studying law - both are subjects that really interest me but I'm just concerned that prospective employers will discad my application because of my age
With you experiences of life and your interest in psychology where you also have started a degree IĀ“d say go for that./Lena
Old 03-08-2006, 03:27 AM   #22
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I regret exactly one thing: Not having more fun in school. I should have been organizing protests against the teachers, refused to attend, bought comics to read in class, etc. I never did any of that. I could at least have burned the building down a little bit, but no!- I had to be a perfect little chair ornament, sitting and sleeping.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:29 AM   #23
Easily amused

Quote:
Be that as it may, there are some age restrictions in some fields - for instance, medical school - most will not accept anyone over 26 - this has to do with the long training periods of school, internship and residency. I'm not sure how they get by the age discrimination laws, but somehow they do.
My girlfriend (at age ~38) got into medical school in the states and is just finishing up her 4 year residency now at 47. I also know of people in their 30s getting into vet school.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:48 AM   #24
Party On Dudes

i'm still a baby, but if i look at you like your a character in a story i can say that it would be cool if the story ended well, psychologist by day protector of the people by night, we all win.

DO IT

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 03-08-2006, 06:58 AM   #25
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
I regret exactly one thing: Not having more fun in school. I should have been organizing protests against the teachers, refused to attend, bought comics to read in class, etc. I never did any of that. I could at least have burned the building down a little bit, but no!- I had to be a perfect little chair ornament, sitting and sleeping.
LOLOLOL. Now THIS I can understand. Man if I could go back to highschool, I would have done so much MORE.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:09 AM   #26

Short answer: no
Old 03-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #27
Schoolgirl From Hell

I regret not having taken the plunge and studied archaeology - my actual passion. I was told that it does not promise me a future and my dad refused to school me if I took it, so I took my medicine as my second choice.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 03-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #28
Schoolgirl From Hell

I also regret the fact that my English is deteriorating... the longer I stay in Russia, the worse my English gets. Thank be for my snobby, earl-gray drinking freak English boyfriend

Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #29
The Threadā„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I regret all kinds of little things, but what's done is done.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #30
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
Yes, because half of my decisions weren't really *my* decision, they were forced unto me. I'm still bitter about it. I'm still not living my own life, I'm doing it for someone else and I can't get out of it. It's like a ****ing curse.
You really sound like you need a hug.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #31
Schoolgirl From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
You really sound like you need a hug.
Aw thanks. Your words actually made me teared up... touched. Thanks

Old 03-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #32
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I regret dropping out of school and not going to college. Pretty much all of my current problems stem from the fact that I can't get a decent job because I have no degree or training. And unfortunately since I can't get a decent job, I don't have the money to go to college and rectify the problem. Nice little Catch-22 there.

Not to mention that the sorts of things I'm interested in, namely science and computers, you have to spend more than just four years studying to get any decent training, during which time I'd have to... still work crappy jobs to get by, anyway. Plus by time I finished I'd be in my early forties at least.

It hurts knowing that I was an intelligent straight-A student who could have been on a fast ticket to any college I wanted if I had hunkered down, finished school, and kept on track. Instead I completely wasted and lost the chance, and now I spend my days doing stuff like being a file clerk or cashier because I can't rate anything else.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 03-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #33
Schoolgirl From Hell

*hugs Jeysie*

Old 03-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #34
capsized.

The past three years have been all about regret. And nothing, absolutely nothing else. Hope the tides start turning again one day.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #35
Schoolgirl From Hell

Regret is one of the most poisonous substances known to mankind. Yet, we still wallow in it. I'm guilty of that, as well.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #36
capsized.

It's weird, isn't it? Good to know that I'm not the only one. I've been so full of regret that I eventually had to drop out of college. And now I'm living with my parents again, with nothing but... d'oh!Life's great.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #37
Super Moderator

There are times I've regretted things but then I look back and think would I be the person I am today (wiser, pretty darn happy) and be lucky to know the people I know if I hadn't gone down the path I am. We think we want a do-over in life but guess what, we don't get one. So you have to make the best you can in your life and if you focus on the regret (which I have done), it just makes you miserable (as Mira said, it can be a poison) and it make hold you back.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #38
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

*hugs Mira back*

I feel more sorry for you... I mean, I got myself into my own mess, but with you it sounds like you're trying to do well and other people keeping causing you problems.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 03-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #39
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
I regret dropping out of school and not going to college. Pretty much all of my current problems stem from the fact that I can't get a decent job because I have no degree or training. And unfortunately since I can't get a decent job, I don't have the money to go to college and rectify the problem. Nice little Catch-22 there.

Not to mention that the sorts of things I'm interested in, namely science and computers, you have to spend more than just four years studying to get any decent training, during which time I'd have to... still work crappy jobs to get by, anyway. Plus by time I finished I'd be in my early forties at least.

It hurts knowing that I was an intelligent straight-A student who could have been on a fast ticket to any college I wanted if I had hunkered down, finished school, and kept on track. Instead I completely wasted and lost the chance, and now I spend my days doing stuff like being a file clerk or cashier because I can't rate anything else.
And you dropped out of school because....?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #40
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
I am reading a book right now called [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1585421464//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Artist's Way[/url], which is about creativity, but this quote applies to pretty much anything one wants to do but doesn't due to age:

Quote:
Give yourself permission to be a beginner. By being willing to be a bad artist, you have a chance to be an artist, and perhaps, over time, a very good one.

When I make this point in teaching, I am met by instant, defensive hostility: "But do you know how old I will be by the time I learn to really play the piano / act / paint / write a decent play?"

Yes... the same age you will be if you don't.
Just a thought.