Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Do you regret the decisions you have made in your life? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/13690-do-you-regret-decisions-you-have-made-your-life.html)

Manhunter71 03-07-2006 06:01 PM

Do you regret the decisions you have made in your life?

I ask this because I have been doing a lot of self-contemplation recently and considering my options for the future.

I'm 35 now and feel that my life has reached an impasse. I've been out of work for the past 9 months because of a car accident and now I'm ready to return to work but I am having problems deciding where to go from here.
I feel that I want to retrain and start afresh but I am worried that because of my age I will have problems starting out on a new career path:frown:

When I left school (a long time ago) I really had no idea what I wanted to do - I was interested in lots of different subjects - chemistry, history, psycholgy, law.....
I took a job as an assistant chemist in the pharmaceutical industry and that was fine for many years until boredom struck and I decided to go to uni and study psychology.
The only problem was that I was involved in a serious relationship at the time, so I had to make a choice between attending my preferred choice of university (Sheffield) or going with my girlfriend to Sunderland.
Well, I thought long and hard about this and decided to go to the same uni as my girlfriend.
This ultimately turned out to be the worst choice because I dropped out in my 2nd year due to money problems and then ended up being dumped a few years later, just after my girlfriend and I had gone into business together:frown:

So now, here I am thinking about either resuming my psychology degree or studying law - both are subjects that really interest me but I'm just concerned that prospective employers will discad my application because of my age:frown:

phew!
Thanks for taking the time to read this guys and I would realy like to read your opinions:D

:D :D :D :D :D

SakSquash 03-07-2006 06:03 PM

There are people in their 60s here at my college, so it's never too late for school. If you can afford it, I say do it. As for which career, you should major in one, and minor in the other, that way you can always do both.

Manhunter71 03-07-2006 06:06 PM

Do you regret the decisions you have made in your life?

Apologies everyone for the confusing title of my thread:crazy:
It was supposed to say "Do you regret the decisions you have made in your life?"

I'm not sure how it became so garbled:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

SakSquash 03-07-2006 06:10 PM

Oh!....well in that case, nope.

Intrepid Homoludens 03-07-2006 06:57 PM

http://www.usu.edu/utahglci/Doe%20and%20Fawn.jpg

:) I have no doe in my life, sorry.

As for your dilemma, my good man, it would be frankly stupid of you to think of it as the result of failure when, in fact, it's one of the most awesome opportunities you'll ever have to reinvent yourself. Screw people who'll put your down because of your age. There are people much older than yourself who have reinvented themselves and ended up being even more happy than they ever were in their lives. Do what you feel most pasionate about.

Fairygdmther 03-07-2006 07:11 PM

Be that as it may, there are some age restrictions in some fields - for instance, medical school - most will not accept anyone over 26 - this has to do with the long training periods of school, internship and residency. I'm not sure how they get by the age discrimination laws, but somehow they do.

Lynsie

Melanie68 03-07-2006 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Be that as it may, there are some age restrictions in some fields - for instance, medical school - most will not accept anyone over 26 - this has to do with the long training periods of school, internship and residency. I'm not sure how they get by the age discrimination laws, but somehow they do.

Lynsie

That doesn't happen in veterinary school. One of my vet school classmates was in her 40s when she decided to go back. They certainly aren't a big percentage but they don't turn them away when they apply.

tabacco 03-07-2006 07:34 PM

I thought you were hawking venison or something :)

fov 03-07-2006 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Apologies everyone for the confusing title of my thread:crazy:
It was supposed to say "Do you regret the decisions you have made in your life?"

I'm not sure how it became so garbled:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Fixed. :)

tabacco 03-07-2006 07:41 PM

I regret the decision to not get onions on my pizza tonight.

Intrepid Homoludens 03-07-2006 07:45 PM

This thread seems to have some relation to this thread.

Kingzjester 03-07-2006 08:15 PM

Regret is for the dull.

Intrepid Homoludens 03-07-2006 08:41 PM

Is it? If that's true then I want to be exciting and not regret this:

Kingz

Kingzjester 03-07-2006 09:14 PM

See, and then we move on. We learned something, done something, we may have to suffer the consequences, but we shouldn't dwell on it further. Let us do something else.

Also, I don't think exciting is the right antonym for dull the way I used it. Exciting can be dull too. Fascinating would be a better antonym. That said, panning me is not fascinating. It is kinda dull.

Intrepid Homoludens 03-07-2006 09:42 PM

< grabs the Kingz, tars and feathers him, makes him watch countless episodes of Leave It To Beaver, forces him to undergo a three hour deep tissue massage by a very naked Don Rickles, ties him up to a La-Z-Boy chair to watch a badly acted production of Waiting For Godot, then.... >

Kingz

Kingzjester 03-07-2006 09:57 PM

How did we get here anyway?

Maquisard 03-07-2006 09:57 PM

^ ^ I fell asleep halfway through your post there, Trep.

eriq 03-07-2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhunter71
...I am worried that because of my age I will have problems starting out on a new career path:frown:

As cheesey as it sounds, you really can have anything you want if you put your mind to it. Just be passionate and work hard!

"If you want something bad enough the whole world conspires to help you get it." -Madonna (of course. LOL)

And I definitely do NOT regret any decisions I've made. And I've made a lot of BAD ones. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Intrepid Homoludens 03-07-2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingzjester
How did we get here anyway?

YOU proceeded to take a wrong turn in Yonkers, even after I warned you.

saucyminx 03-07-2006 10:47 PM

Yes, because half of my decisions weren't really *my* decision, they were forced unto me. I'm still bitter about it. I'm still not living my own life, I'm doing it for someone else and I can't get out of it. It's like a ****ing curse.