You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #121
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I didn't really notice where the stearing wheel where..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 11-03-2006, 09:57 AM   #122
Lazy Bee

Are there any British sports car enthusiasts around? We have plans of getting an older (from the 70th) Triumph or MG eventually if the right car for the right price turns up. This is of course HD's idea and he was very pleased that I didn't object to it.
So if there's anyone around with advice, please share.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #123
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

No! Don't get an MG without knowing about them. They're uncomfortable, ridiculous, they have constant mechanical issues, and they are slow.

But they're just so cool, a person could live with their issues. suppose.

Last edited by Giligan; 11-03-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #124
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Couldn't Christer just get a nice used MX-5 and pretend it's an old MG or Triumph? Probably not.

Faced with the choice of either old MG or old Triumph, I'd have to go with the Triumph as they have a little more individual style and seem slightly sportier. Overall I'd rather have a Spitfire (one new enough not to have the swing-arm rear suspension), but a TR7 convertible might be nice.

If Christer is willing to expand his search beyond Triumphs and MGs of the '70s, Sunbeam Alpines are really nice cars and slightly more roomy than other British sports cars of the period.

Share the love.

<3
Old 11-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #125
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Couldn't Christer just get a nice used MX-5 and pretend it's an old MG or Triumph? Probably not.
That's actually what he was looking for originally but realized he was more interested in Britsh sports cars.

Quote:
Faced with the choice of either old MG or old Triumph, I'd have to go with the Triumph as they have a little more individual style and seem slightly sportier. Overall I'd rather have a Spitfire (one new enough not to have the swing-arm rear suspension), but a TR7 convertible might be nice.
He's drooling over this one at the moment. It's a Triumph TR 5 PI from -68.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #126

Ooh, that looks nice.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #127
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
That's actually what he was looking for originally but realized he was more interested in Britsh sports cars.
It sounds like he's looking for something a bit more challenging and visceral, then.
MX-5s (Miatas to all us Yanks) are an absolute blast to drive and feel like they're wired directly into one's nervous system as far as responsiveness goes, but they're also dead-solid reliable. For someone who yearns to bust a few knuckles and get their hands dirty as well as have a fun car to drive, MX-5s are a little disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
He's drooling over this one at the moment. It's a Triumph TR 5 PI from -68.
Yep, that would definitely be getting back to basics. As I said, I'm more of a Spitfire guy, but a TR-5 is certainly more distinctive. He might want to check with a Triumph club about problem areas to look for on that particular model before buying, especially the places to look for rust or evidence of iffy repairs.

Share the love.

<3
Old 11-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #128
UltraNOOB

My actual car. 99 model with 44,000 miles. I wouldn't swap it for any car. When I'm richer I'll still have it.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:02 AM   #129
Lazy Bee

Quote:
For someone who yearns to bust a few knuckles and get their hands dirty as well as have a fun car to drive, MX-5s are a little disappointing.
That sums it up pretty well. He's reached an age where he feels he deserves a toy of his own. The owning and caring for will be just as important as the driving. And with our climate it'll be used during the summers only which leaves plenty of time to play mechanic, get hands dirty and polish.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #130
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
That sums it up pretty well. He's reached an age where he feels he deserves a toy of his own. The owning and caring for will be just as important as the driving. And with our climate it'll be used during the summers only which leaves plenty of time to play mechanic, get hands dirty and polish.
Hehehe! That's a "guy" thing.

In "Guy" world, mechanical devices fall into two categories: "Appliances" and "Toys".

"Appliances" we want to buy, use, and never have to think about or maintain. Refrigerators, microwaves, our main computer, and our regular car fall into this category.

"Toys" are things we want to be wonky, difficult, and unreliable. This category comprises mostly aged sports cars and wildly overclocked homebuilt gaming computers, but any infuriating mechanical device can qualify.

"Toys" pander shamelessly to the inner caveman in all of us, and we need them to challenge our reasoning, deductive, and mechanic skills on a regular basis so we can then go brag to our buddies when we actually get the dang things working. "Ugh, me MANLY man! Me rebuild entire engine and chassis of TR2 using only sticks and seal sinew AND me get Windows XP to run on homebuilt computer with 14 386 processors in series!"

As I said, it's a "guy" thing.

Share the love.

<3

Last edited by Sage; 11-05-2006 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #131
Lazy Bee

Quote:
As I said, I'm more of a Spitfire guy
We found some information (on a Triumph forum) that Spitfires are preferable to tall persons so that's what we're looking for now. Christer has found a Spitfire (MK IV from -73) for sale that he'll check out tomorrow. It's in need of some work, but as I said that's part of the fun.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #132
Bad Influence

Yay! Spitfires are comfy for us taller folks.

Also, the whole front end flips forward for engine servicing just like on a Jaguar E-type.

Share the love.

<3
Old 11-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #133
Lazy Bee

OMG he bought it!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #134
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Post a picture of it!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #135
Lazy Bee

We're picking it up on Sunday. I'll post one even though it looks like now. It'll be fun with a before and after renovation picture although you'll have to wait quite a while for the second pic.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #136
Bad Influence

Yay! I can hardly wait to see a photo!

Share the love.

<3
Old 11-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #137
Lazy Bee

I think this car looks like a hopeless piece of junk. But apparently all the important parts are in good condition. There will be quite a lot of work though before it's ready to hit the road.

I had to take these pictures in the narrow garage since it's already pitchblack by 5.00 PM over here. Enjoy!

Christer by his new toy.

You didn't expect me to stretch out over the hood did you?

Old 11-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #138
Super Moderator

Welcome to the newest member of the family! It looks awesome. You'll be amazed at how a new paint job will transform how it looks.

In order to stretch out, you'd need a bikini and some stiletto heels. It's kind of cold for that over there.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #139
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Welcome to the newest member of the family! It looks awesome. You'll be amazed at how a new paint job will transform how it looks.
Thanks. I have confidence in Christer. But at first glance I wasn't impressed.

Quote:
In order to stretch out, you'd need a bikini and some stiletto heels. It's kind of cold for that over there.
I promise I will spare you such horror.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #140
Bad Influence

Cool! He even got a hard top AND a luggage rack that isn't bolted on permanently!

As for the rusty spots, they're easy to deal with. Much better rust you can see than rust you can't.

I'm so jealous. Christer is going to have a blast fooling around with that car. Johan too, I'd imagine.

Share the love.

<3