You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #81

Hybrids are barely more fuel efficient than the latest Diesels anyway (that'll take a couple more years atleast), so don't worry about that if you're in the market for a car now.

I'm voting for the Golf or the Aygo The Golf is a classic already (and pretty practical) and the Aygo is just so cute and also happens to drive excellently (very responsive and nimble steering, as proven by Top Gear's Aygo Soccer Match ) and is also very fuel-efficient (perhaps moreso than a Toyota Prius, which for some reason everybody thinks does 200 miles to a gallon, but is infact less fuel efficient than a modern diesel).
Old 04-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #82
merely human

Well, I really am putting serious emphasis on minimizing how much I'm ****ing up the world, so environmental friendliness is at the top of my list and would dictate which car I would get, to the point where I wouldn't care about aesthetics and visual wow factors.

I'm a HUGE advocate for public transportation.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Well, I really am putting serious emphasis on minimizing how much I'm ****ing up the world, so environmental friendliness is at the top of my list and would dictate which car I would get, to the point where I wouldn't care about aesthetics and visual wow factors.

I'm a HUGE advocate for public transportation.
Nice Same here, although I'd sell out my principles for a gas-guzzling Focus ST any day (which wouldn't be very smart, what with gas costing about 6€ a gallon over here). Big advocate of bicycles and public transportation too. If you really consider enviromental repercussions the deciding factor in your purchase then I'd go for an Aygo, and if you're lucky you'll also get a 1000€/$ discount on it from the government (here certain cars get subsidies, don't know bout the States though), plus it's cheap in maintenance, Toyota's simply don't break down, ever
Old 04-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #84
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

And you can play 5-a-side giant football in an Aygo.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #85
merely human

If L.A. weren't such a goddamn sprawlfest I would seriously consider just getting a Vespa. But if there were such a thing as a hybrid Vespa that would be penis-nailingly awesome!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #86

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/04/vespa_introduce.html
Don't know about availability though. (I've had three "mopeds" including a Vespa, ofcourse all got stolen 'cause you know, I live in Amsterdam )
Old 04-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #87
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
I could kiss you.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #88

I think there's lots of electric mopeds already, but those are icky.. you know with their weird silent humming sound and all

Oh man, the fun I had with mopeds, I'd get another one without hesitation if I lived somewhere else

Last edited by jjacob; 04-02-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #89
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
you can buy smart cars in north america?
Yup. I've seen a few of them beaming around town. You have to go on a very long waiting list.

I like the idea of public transportation but after relying on it for 10 years I'm starting to realise that it's costing me more in time and inconvenience than a car would. If I want to go get groceries I have to plan to be out for three hours. Forget going to the beach in the summer or visiting friends on Sunday.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #90
Friendly Server Admin

Yeah, exactly. When I realized it was taking me almost an hour to get to campus by bus (it is actually a ~10 minute drive) including waiting at the stop and riding the bus itself, I just caved in and bought a parking permit.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:23 AM   #91
Lazy Bee

Quote:
That'd be British Racing Green
I checked it up and yes, that was the name. But for us non-car-geeks it lookes like bottle green

Quote:
I liked the Mini in the beginning, but got bored with the design after a month,.
I think I like the interior even more than the colour: It´s very retro with round shapes for the speedometer and other dispalys.

Quote:
I especially don't care for the people that drive them, for whom their car is usually little more than a fashion accesory.
Now, get you ass up here and I´ll introduce you to my friend. She´s not who you´re referring to. And let me tell you, she´s one of the hottest 40 y/o women you ever could imagine. So there....
Old 04-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #92
merely human

Hey, if you're a hot s3xx3h thang, damn right you deserve a hot s3xx3h car!
Old 04-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
I checked it up and yes, that was the name. But for us non-car-geeks it lookes like bottle green
Car paint is a world in its own right
Quote:
I think I like the interior even more than the colour: It´s very retro with round shapes for the speedometer and other dispalys.
Bah, it's fake-retro Retro is vinyl and vanilla paint for the interior dash Tastes differ though, but to me certain old cars are just way more charming than new ones. If I'd have the cash to maintain a Citroen DS for example, I'd get one tomorrow
Quote:
Now, get you ass up here and I´ll introduce you to my friend. She´s not who you´re referring to. And let me tell you, she´s one of the hottest 40 y/o women you ever could imagine. So there....
Hmmm, sounds like an intriguing offer, I may take you up on that Anyway, didn't mean to insult your friend, though she really is an exception rather than the rule; the only people I ever saw driving a mini worked at a bank, had one of those bluetooth remote headphones for their mobiles in their ears constantly and were the shittiest and rudest of drivers
Old 04-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #94
merely human

Those bluetooth sluts with the earpieces are pathetic. I never understood why you would want that thing on you ALL ****ing day!
Old 04-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Those bluetooth sluts with the earpieces are pathetic. I never understood why you would want that thing on you ALL ****ing day!
I know Oh well, they'll be sorry when they find out calling with their mobile next to their equipment has caused them testicular cancer
Old 04-04-2006, 01:13 AM   #96
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Bah, it's fake-retro :
That´s OK with me. I rather see it as modern-retro

Quote:
Hmmm, sounds like an intriguing offer, I may take you up on that :
* checks jjakob´s age*
Thinking that she´s happily married to the man who gave her the Mini I
perhaps should introduce you to her 18 y/o daughter instead.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #97
Banned User

Scott! I need your help!
Old 04-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #98
Roar?

Quote:
I know Oh well, they'll be sorry when they find out calling with their mobile next to their equipment has caused them testicular cancer
Or to spawn a race of mutant demon children.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #99
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
Scott! I need your help!
You rang?

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #100
Banned User

What do you think?