You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default I'm outta here.

I just can't take this anymore. Is there no way in which people can actually get along here? I'm not talking about debate, which is great and which (eg. the Danish cartoons thread, and even the StarForce thread) has been handled really well on these boards. No, I'm talking about this annoying habit of being needless patronising or viciously overreacting towards anyone who happens to disagree with your viewpoint.

And I'm sick of it. There are ways of expressing your views without simply ridiculing or dismissing the other person's. Engage with the debate. Explain your reasons. Don't just slam others for holding different ones.

I can't take another 2D vs 3D/Direct control vs Point-and-click/Maps vs Not/Film buffs vs the ignorant masses conversation. I'm thoroughly depressed by it all.

See you. I apologise if I've offended anyone with this post; I certainly don't hold any long-standing grudges against individuals, and I hope that no-one holds any against me. But I'm off for now, because I don't enjoy coming to forums that make me angry.

Hell, I suspect I'll be back in a few hours' time, and if anyone wants to lock/delete this thread then great, because I'll probably feel shit about having written it. But I'm getting sick of stopping short of posting it.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Psychonaut

The nature of debatle always includes an element of heated discussion.

This forum has had it's fair share like anywhere else, but I actually think that it doesn't happen as much here as elsewhere.

I've found here to be calmer and more willing to see the other side than most places i've been to which usually just desolve into stupid naming calling and verbal insults.

I'll certainly be sad to see you go and would suggest you maybe take a breather rather than leave all together.

Don't go

Old 02-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead!

Erm.

Yeah, no need to leave, just take a breather.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
And I'm sick of it. There are ways of expressing your views without simply ridiculing or dismissing the other person's. Engage with the debate. Explain your reasons. Don't just slam others for holding different ones.
I'm brand new, and I noticed this since my very first visit here. It doesn't offend me (I chalk it up to typical young nerdy male socially-retarded posturing) but I do find it tiresome and I purposely avoid threads and topics I would otherwise love to discuss.

I stuck around because if you ignore the tiresome bits there are lots of great and fun discussions on this board and many interesting, articulate, hilarious and kind people. To me the great parts outweigh the occasional pain in the ass. Maybe after you calm down and think about it you'll agree. As you should.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I hope you're right in that you'll come back within a few hours, Robert, because I enjoy reading your posts a great deal.

I don't think you should feel like shit about writing this post... you make good points, and I've gotten those feelings myself from some posts. And I apologize if I ever made you feel that way myself!

I think that if you're having problems it's good to air concerns, and this seems like the sort of community willing to talk about them. Just don't leave before they get a chance to do so!

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 02-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
No, I'm talking about this annoying habit of being needless patronising or viciously overreacting towards anyone who happens to disagree with your viewpoint.
Honestly, I never got the impression there are many people here who do that. The occasional ones (some of which have long since left)... but all in all, most people do argue their point, or clearly note that it is just their opinion, which must not be shared. Maybe I just read posts in a more naive way, though

Quote:
2D vs 3D/Direct control vs Point-and-click/Maps
If it helps you, I don't care as long as the game is good.

Quote:
Not/Film buffs vs the ignorant masses conversation
...hey, I'm not ignorant masses! ; *hugs RLacey*

Quote:
I apologise if I've offended anyone with this post;
Not me.

Quote:
I certainly don't hold any long-standing grudges against individuals, and I hope that no-one holds any against me.
I can't hold grudges. I forgive everything, given time. Mostly, I drop my issues with a person after 24 hours. That is, of course, if I'm upset at them in the first place. You? You have to work a lot harder than that to get me upset *hug*

Quote:
Hell, I suspect I'll be back in a few hours' time,
I hope so! forums.adventuregamers.com would not be the same without our very own RLacey. Please, think of the kittens.

pinkgothic

I hope I'm not one of the people that pissed you off...
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 02-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
SamNMax

*Shug* It happens.

It is, however, funny that this thread came up. I gotta go too. Not for the same reason, though.

Last edited by SamNMax; 02-04-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
kamikaze hummingbirds

Maybe its best you dont think of the kittens... i did. but they turn'd out to be deadly leopards.
they are currently clawing at my face and it hurts...
Old 02-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Hi, I am, as predicted, back already.

Sorry for the overreaction, and I want to make it clear again that this post wasn't meant to refer to any specific person(s). Honestly. Love you all .

Old 02-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Just needed to vent? That's OK. Welcome back I don't want you to leave either.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #11
Translate Me

Ah, welcome back. I was about to suggest you should take a few hours and play Trumgottist's great new game, Frasse and the Peas of Kejick. Frasse is so cute, he's bound to cheer up anybody not feeling the best.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
Psychonaut

Drama King
Old 02-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
Psychonaut

Oh and glad to see your still here
Old 02-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #14
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Wow, its amazing what you can miss in a couple of hours

Well Im happy your staying, if you left then there would be no-one making attempts at thwarting my plan to take 'Thread must die' to post 1 million
Old 02-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #15
Banned User

See what happens when you don't wear jeans?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #16
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
See what happens when you don't wear jeans?

Old 02-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #17
Life and times of...

Quote:
They're looking, but are they seeing? They seem to enjoy it...

(Edit): <Dirty mind>...
Old 02-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #18
Banned User

Perhaps they see his buldge? I hear that's common with sweatpants, which I assume is what he wears. As far as I know, jeans and sweatpants are the only two things you can wear on your bottom half.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #19
capsized.

Quote:
I just can't take this anymore. Is there no way in which people can actually get along here? I'm not talking about debate, which is great and which (eg. the Danish cartoons thread, and even the StarForce thread) has been handled really well on these boards. No, I'm talking about this annoying habit of being needless patronising or viciously overreacting towards anyone who happens to disagree with your viewpoint.

I can't take another 2D vs 3D/Direct control vs Point-and-click/Maps vs Not/Film buffs vs the ignorant masses conversation. I'm thoroughly depressed by it all.

See you. I apologise if I've offended anyone with this post; I certainly don't hold any long-standing grudges against individuals, and I hope that no-one holds any against me. But I'm off for now, because I don't enjoy coming to forums that make me angry.

Hell, I suspect I'll be back in a few hours' time, and if anyone wants to lock/delete this thread then great, because I'll probably feel shit about having written it. But I'm getting sick of stopping short of posting it.

MR: ROBERT LACEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1oneeleven

Quite frankly, I tend to be a bit frustrated when something such irrelevant () as personal preference gets in the way of discussing such things properly, but

COME ON!
Old 02-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #20
Epinionated.

I'm starting to take shit too personally, but I get the feeling this is getting too escalated amongst members here as there are certain peeps I get the feeling I'm clashing with far too often. I can't seem to post anything without someone laying a verbal brick in my head right now, even if it's innocent. I'll admit my own share of argumentative posts, but I'm starting to read too much antagonisation.

I'm not calling it quits, though. I'm just getting sick of it... perhaps next time I feel I have to respond to a curt reply, I won't. I mean... who gives a crap, really?