You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #101
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Patchouli?
Old 02-05-2006, 08:20 AM   #102
merely human

It's a scent. Smells like earth mixed with pure rain.

Quote:
...patchouli, or Pogostemon patchouli, is a tropical member of the mint family, grown in the East and West Indies. Leaves are harvested several times a year, dried, and exported for distillation of the oil, although the highest quality oil is usually produced from fresh leaves, distilled close to the plantation.

The oil is thought to improve with age, and is used with camphor to give India ink its characteristic odor. In the 19th century, the fragrance was used to scent fabrics manufactured in India for export to Europe
One whiff of patchouli can send your mind, your imagination, soaring to exotic lands far away and trigger primeval sensuous feelings.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #103
woof

Kinky
Old 02-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #104
merely human

No, not kinky. Kinky would be dabbing patchouli oil on your grandmother's dress and having your wife wear it around the house while massaging her at opportune times as she does kitchen chores.

I prefer more woodsy scents myself, like sandalwood, cedar, and pine. These essences mesh better with my natural body chemistry. I also go for musk, but in tiny doses.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-05-2006, 08:34 AM   #105
woof

......grandmothers dress?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:12 AM   #106
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I prefer more woodsy scents myself, like sandalwood, cedar, and pine. These essences mesh better with my natural body chemistry. I also go for musk, but in tiny doses.
Have you ever burned Precious Chandan (it's Indian sandalwood). I love that stuff (I just lit some). I first got a small package on Canal street in New Orleans a few years ago and I finally found some more to buy. It is fantastic!!!!
Old 02-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #107
merely human

Yes, I burn Indian sandalwood, but only half sticks because they're too potent otherwise. I also like much Japanese sandalwood and cedar incense, as they're less invasive to my nostrils and make me think of winter snow somehow.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #108
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Fascinating how different scents affect us. Easily explained though, as the sense of smell is the only one that's tied directly to our brain. The slightest whiff of a given aroma can immediately call foth vivid images of events, places, and even former lovers long absent from our lives.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #109
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I like to think of myself as a simple girl... as long as a guy *doesn't* smell, that's sexy enough for me.

Seriously, I like fruity and flowery smells, but I'm too allergic to enjoy most perfumes, incenses, candles, etc.

I actually know one fellow who literally can't smell at all. Just totally lacks the sense. Made his girlfriend a little disappointed initially.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 02-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #110

Wow, that's.. weird. I guess we all take smell for granted but I couldn't imagine not having the sense at all. Isn't smell supposed to be one of the biggest factors in recognising a "compatible mate" or something?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #111
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
I like to think of myself as a simple girl... as long as a guy *doesn't* smell, that's sexy enough for me.

Seriously, I like fruity and flowery smells, but I'm too allergic to enjoy most perfumes, incenses, candles, etc.

I actually know one fellow who literally can't smell at all. Just totally lacks the sense. Made his girlfriend a little disappointed initially.

Peace & Luv, Liz
I had a very limited sense of smell until my nose got broken. It must have cleared a blockage or something, as I could smell things with much greater clarity afterwards...plus I now have a cool hump on my nose.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #112
Translate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
I knew a guy like that once. He used to live on campus and had a roommate who never showered or wore deodorant. Sometimes it's interesting how life works out.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #113
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by doroposo
I knew a guy like that once. He used to live on campus and had a roommate who never showered or wore deodorant. Sometimes it's interesting how life works out.
The roommate must have been a real delight for any visiting friends of the olfactorily-challenged guy.

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #114
Super Moderator

Sniff...
Old 02-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #115
Translate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
The roommate must have been a real delight for any visiting friends of the olfactorily-challenged guy.
Yeah, they didn't receive a lot of repeat visitors. Eventually we had to start inviting Geoff (the unsmelly one) to visit us, since it was just so bad in there. People did confront the smelly guy about his odor a few times to no avail, and the situation finally escalated to the point that the entire hall got together and mounted a surprise attack (one could argue it was self-defense) against him. As he emerged from his room one evening, he was pelted with balloons full of liquid soap, followed by water balloons. Everyone breathed a little easier that night, though Mr. Smelly won in the end by developing an even more foul odor in the following weeks.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #116
Bad Influence

Melanie originally posted this in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Then there's always this....holiday. I heard about this last year (saw it on some blog).

Edit - if this link isn't appropriate - do your modly duty.
This got me thinking. Is it true that women put up with sex to get romance and men endure romance to get sex? Or is that merely outdated sexist dogma that has no relevance in today's world?

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #117
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

While it's not totally wrong, it's not totally right either. Men "need" sex pretty much their whole adult life. Women don't seem to "need" sex in the same way. Women are becoming more open about expressing their needs and wants sexually, but after the "bloom" wears off the romance, most women I know would just as soon have cuddling instead of love-making.

I heard someone once say - women want to fall in love before having sex with a guy, where guys want to have sex with a girl, then fall in love with her. The guy who masters the art of romance will "score" much quicker than the guy who is more direct with a woman.

Lots of women consider sex as "messy", and it kinda reminds them of having their periods. Why? Well, since the vagina has no ability to close, after ejaculation, the semen just runs out. The wetness makes it feel kinda like when she has her period and the blood is seeping out, and she can't control it. It either runs out onto the bed, or runs down her legs as she runs for the bathroom. Then there is the eternal argument - who's gonna sleep in the cold wet spot?

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but it's kinda why your statement is partially true. I think the current prevalence for women increasingly preferring to give fellatio, is that it's less messy, the guys like it, and it takes some of the pressure off of her to "put out" to get some cuddling.

Lynsie
Old 02-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #118
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

It sounds so nasty when you put it that way, but its very true, unless you have sex in one bed and sleep in another bed. lol.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #119
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
This got me thinking. Is it true that women put up with sex to get romance and men endure romance to get sex? Or is that merely outdated sexist dogma that has no relevance in today's world?
I think it's completely outdated mate. I'm so in love with my girlfriend, I'm a converted romantic. I even spent a load of money to get flowers sent to her tomorrow, money I coulda spent on beer And girls definitely love sex as much as guys do.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 02-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #120
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Actually most people I know hate to admit their romantics.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives