You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Doctor Who / Torchwood Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2005, 02:49 AM   #21
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Are they starting with Eccleston or Tennant? And will you get The Christmas Invasion? A surprisingly good Christmas special, it was, so it would be a shame if they didn't show it.

I don't know, though from a German fansite I deduce that it is David Tennant. Some people guess that Pro7 probably bought it without actually knowing what Dr. Who is about, just because it had good ratings abroad (and I am willing to believe these guesses. It wouldn't be the first time Pro7 did that). This time they made a very good choice, if you ask me . Let's hope they put it on a good broadcasting time, where it can gather a lot of fans! Dr. Who can only raise the cultural standard of the program there ('Charmed' got old some seasons ago. And thank the heavens they got rid of "Buffy"!).

Also, it appears as if RTL has before shown older episodes, so Dr. Who is not entirely alien to the German audience.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:52 AM   #22
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
And thank the heavens they got rid of "Buffy"!
I'm so pleased that I'm not the only one to think that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a hideously overrated programme .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #23

Quote:
I'm so pleased that I'm not the only one to think that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a hideously overrated programme .

Angsty Teenagers and SO-not-classic-Vampires were never meant to go together.

The worst part were probably the Teenagers.

*thinks of Arthur and Doreen Winkings Count and Countess Notfaroutoe*

-

Last edited by Jazhara7; 12-28-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:17 AM   #24
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I saw a repeat of one of those Top 100 lists that seem to plague the listings yesterday. It was the top 100 musicals as voted for by viewers, and an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer came in a number 13. This reminded me of two things: how much I hate Buffy the Vampire Slayer and how bad the viewing public is when it comes to judging the quality of a musical .

Old 12-28-2005, 06:59 AM   #25
Psychonaut

Buffy the Vampire Slayer ROCKS

Way better than Dr Who.

Alyson Hannigan
Old 12-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #26
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Buffy the Vampire Slayer ROCKS

Way better than Dr Who.

Alyson Hannigan
Lucien

That's quite enough of that, heathen!

I love the BBC at times. BBC Three is showing the Eccleston Doctor Who regularly, but they can't find it in themselves to show some classic serials. This is all about flogging the DVDs, isn't it?

Old 12-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #27
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Lucien

BBC Three is showing the Eccleston Doctor Who regularly, but they can't find it in themselves to show some classic serials. This is all about flogging the DVDs, isn't it?
To be fair to them, they did try repeating the classic series relatively recently - from the first colour episode and on BBC2 at prime time, no less! - but it went down like a lead balloon. I love this trailer though.

Look at it objectively. We may love the original Doctor Who just as much as the new series, but I dare say we're in the minority. Many viewers, even adults who saw the original series when it first aired and enjoyed it, would look at those stories now and say "lame".

Can you really blame them for wanting to protect the image the new series has built for itself?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #28
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
To be fair to them, they did try repeating the classic series relatively recently - from the first colour episode and on BBC2 at prime time, no less! - but it went down like a lead balloon.

Look at it objectively. We may love the new Doctor Who just as much as the original series, but I dare say we're in the minority. Many viewers, even adults who saw the original series when it first aired and enjoyed it, would look at those stories now and say "lame".

Can you really blame them for wanting to protect the image the new series has built for itself?
I'd settle for a graveyard slot . And didn't they last try showing it before the new series was released? I'd like to see what would happen if they tried putting it on again now ...

Old 12-28-2005, 01:17 PM   #29

I have to correct my earlier statement. Pro7 is going to show Series 1. This also makes more sense, because they still have to translate it.

Also, my sister says they (BBC, not Pro7) might release the classic series as boxsets, when they released all the episodes from one Season (if you can call it that) on separate DVDs (or story arcs). That's how they did it with the Monty Python Flying Circus DVD complete series box set (which as far as I know has so far only been published in the US and Canada, while the BBC still sells 7 VHS tapes with the "Best of MPs Flying Circus"), I guess. They first released 7 mini-sets consisting of two DVDs (each with a separate case) enclosed in a cardboard sheath box thingy, and then when they had published all seven, they released the whole series as one large box set with 14 DVDs (though I doubt they will release the whole Doctor Who series as one box set. That would be *enourmous*. I guess they will do something by seasons).

-

Old 12-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #30
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I have to correct my earlier statement. Pro7 is going to show Series 1. This also makes more sense, because they still have to translate it.
Good. That makes sense if they're showing it to a "new" audience.

Quote:
Also, my sister says they might release the classic series as boxsets, when they released all the episodes from one Season (if you can call it that) on separate DVDs (or story arcs). That's how they did it with the Monty Python Flying Circus DVD complete series box set (which as far as I know has so far only been published in the US and Canada, while the BBC still sells 7 VHS tapes with the "Best of MPs Flying Circus"), I guess. They first released 7 mini-sets consisting of two DVDs (each with a separate case) enclosed in a cardboard sheath box thingy, and then when they had published all seven, they released the whole series as one large box set with 14 DVDs (though I doubt they will release the whole Doctor Who series as one box set. That would be *enourmous*. I guess they will do something by seasons).

-
Well, they did that kind of thing for the Eccleston series.

Mind you, they're nowhere near having released all the old serials (even discounting the ones that are no longer extant).

Maybe I'm just being a cheapskate by refusing to go out and buy dozens of DVDs .

Old 12-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #31
More slaw!!!

About two or three years ago now they started showing Doctor Who again on ABC here, right from the first Hartnell episode. We've watched it almost every night since.

I think tomorrow night is the last two Colin Baker episodes.

It's annoying though because they have skipped some episodes (and I don't mean just the missing ones). They haven't aired most Dalek episodes ( ), and I remember them skipping the final story of the second Doctor.

Quote:
lol. There's already the cybermen to look forward to, along with a single episode featuring K9 and Sarah Jane Smith. Too much more might be overkill for this series .
Yeah, I know... but K9 & Sarah Jane Smith just call for having the Brigadier in the same episode! He's not getting any younger either...

I wonder if Sarah Jane Smith is still pretty...
Old 12-28-2005, 06:15 PM   #32
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
It's annoying though because they have skipped some episodes (and I don't mean just the missing ones). They haven't aired most Dalek episodes ( ), and I remember them skipping the final story of the second Doctor.
The same has happened for the last few runs through the series on UK Gold (a satellite channel here). Apparently the estate of the late Terry Nation, creator of the Daleks, ask exorbitant royalty fees for anyone to show classic Dalek episodes - the result being that nobody bloody shows them! Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot...

Fortunately I managed to catch a full UK Gold run almost in time, and I only missed the Peter Davison and Colin Baker Dalek episodes - which are few in number and easily "obtainable"...

Quote:
Yeah, I know... but K9 & Sarah Jane Smith just call for having the Brigadier in the same episode! He's not getting any younger either...
He wasn't "getting any younger" the last time he appeared in the 80s! As in, he was old and decrepit and not the Brig at all. It's probably for the best if he remains in memory...
Old 12-29-2005, 03:34 AM   #33
More slaw!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
The same has happened for the last few runs through the series on UK Gold (a satellite channel here). Apparently the estate of the late Terry Nation, creator of the Daleks, ask exorbitant royalty fees for anyone to show classic Dalek episodes - the result being that nobody bloody shows them! Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot...
Yeah, I thought it had something to do with that. It's kinda weird though, do they have the rights to ALL the Dalek episodes? They showed the first bunch of Dalek episodes here in the curent run (not sure which ones, but quite a few) and then they started just skipping them. They then showed about two of them, Genesis of the Daleks & Death the Daleks, and have since skipped all the other Dalek episodes.

Can't figure our why they skipped most, but showed some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Fortunately I managed to catch a full UK Gold run almost in time, and I only missed the Peter Davison and Colin Baker Dalek episodes - which are few in number and easily "obtainable"...
I shall have to look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
He wasn't "getting any younger" the last time he appeared in the 80s! As in, he was old and decrepit and not the Brig at all. It's probably for the best if he remains in memory...
Haven't seen it yet, but will in a few weeks no doubt. Maybe they should revive him for one episode though, write a really awesome episode for his swansong...
Old 12-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #34
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
Haven't seen it yet, but will in a few weeks no doubt. Maybe they should revive him for one episode though, write a really awesome episode for his swansong...
His last appearance is in a Sylvester McCoy episode, "Battlefield" I think. He's not too bad in it actually... and I must admit, I greet every appearance of UNIT in the new series with cries of "Brigadier! Brigadier!" As you might be able to guess by my avatar!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:12 AM   #35
More slaw!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
His last appearance is in a Sylvester McCoy episode, "Battlefield" I think. He's not too bad in it actually... and I must admit, I greet every appearance of UNIT in the new series with cries of "Brigadier! Brigadier!" As you might be able to guess by my avatar!
Heehee, figured as much. What I would have liked to see was at least some recognition of the Doctors association with Unit when Unit showed up in the Eccleston episode.