You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Doctor Who / Torchwood Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Awesome game, except that the beginning was a huge bummer, especially after I had waited so long to find out what the ending of MI 2 really meant.

It surely was a doing by BAD WOLF.

-

P.s.: I think we will never know.

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
It surely was a doing by BAD WOLF.

-

P.s.: I think we will never know.
thats a doctor who reference (new series) isnt it?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
thats a doctor who reference (new series) isnt it?
Yes. No prizes for guessing what Jaz has been watching this Christmas, then ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-27-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Yes. No prizes for guessing what Jaz has been watching this Christmas, then ...
I hope Jaz noticed the German Bad Wolf reference in The Empty Child, then... otherwise no entry to the DW obsessives club for her!

And Lacemeister, I always saw MI1 and MI2 as having a more "serious-looking art style", too. I mean, check out the close-ups on MI1! I was having this conversation with my cousin, fellow MI fanatic (at the time) and now an Xbox 360 owner - to think we saw those MI1 close-ups as the pinnacle of computer graphics, once!
Old 12-27-2005, 02:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I hope Jaz noticed the German Bad Wolf reference in The Empty Child, then... otherwise no entry to the DW obsessives club for her!

Yes, I did spot it on the bomb. But they got the translation wrong. They wrote "Schlecter Wolf". "Schlecht" does indeed mean "bad", but in a different way. A situation or action can be "schlecht" (not developing in a good way, or a bad choice of action, for example), or food can be "schlecht" (no longer good). You can also say that a person is "schlecht", and not be reprimanded for it, as it is not incorrect in that sense. Sometimes it can also mean that someone is not good as something (usually an occupation. "Schlecter Wolf" could be read as saying that the Wolf is not very good at being a Wolf ).

The correct translation would however have been "Böser Wolf". The exact translation to English of that would be "Evil Wolf". But "Bad Wolf" is the English equivalent of the German "Böser Wolf".

Also, the way Captain Jack sits on the bomb really reminds me of the story of Baron Münchhausen, who rode on the cannon ball. Münchhausen was an infamous Liar, if you recall (he is often called "Lügenbaron" in german. There's no real translation to this, but you could call it a made up title. "Lügen" is the german word for "Lies"). And isn't Captain Jack just that, in a way? I spot a hidden reference! Aww, what do I say?! A blatantly obvious one!

-

Old 12-27-2005, 02:58 PM   #6
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Also, the way Captain Jack sits on the bomb really reminds me of the story of Baron Münchhausen, who rode on the cannon ball. Münchhausen was an infamous Liar, if you recall (he is often called "Lügenbaron" in german. There's no real translation to this, but you could call it a made up title. "Lügen" is the german word for "Lies"). And isn't Captain Jack just that, in a way? I spot a hidden reference! Aww, what do I say?! A blatantly obvious one!
I'm interested in seeing how the Captain Jack spin-off, Torchwood, is going to work out.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:14 PM   #7

The fact that they are using a magnetic tape recorder in the episode "The Doctor Dances", makes me grin. The Magnetic tape recorder was invented in Germany, and they didn't have them in Britain back then! But you probably knew that already...

Quote:
I'm interested in seeing how the Captain Jack spin-off, Torchwood, is going to work out.
I'm optimistic. Captain Jack is cool!

-

Old 12-27-2005, 04:16 PM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
The fact that they are using a magnetic tape recorder in the episode "The Doctor Dances", makes me grin. The Magnetic tape recorder was invented in Germany, and they didn't have them in Britain back then! But you probably knew that already...
No, I didn't. But all history is written by the victors, so who are we to criticise ?

Quote:
I'm optimistic. Captain Jack is cool!

-
Agreed, though I hope he doesn't become too gung-ho. He's down to return for the third series of Doctor Who, though, so there should be more Cap'n Jack goodness even if the thing bombs .

Old 12-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
No, I didn't. But all history is written by the victors, so who are we to criticise ?
Yes, it's "written". Not "recorded". Now you know why.

Quote:
Agreed, though I hope he doesn't become too gung-ho. He's down to return for the third series of Doctor Who, though, so there should be more Cap'n Jack goodness even if the thing bombs .

Woo!

-

Old 12-27-2005, 04:20 PM   #10
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Yes, it's "written". Not "recorded". Now you know why.

Maybe Cap'n Jack brought it with him. Or maybe it was stolen from the Germans. Or maybe it got there through a hole...

...in the plot.

As Russell T Davies has said, writing Doctor Who allows you to get away with murder.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:

Maybe Cap'n Jack brought it with him. Or maybe it was stolen from the Germans. Or maybe it got there through a hole...

...in the plot.

As Russell T Davies has said, writing Doctor Who allows you to get away with murder.
Or maybe the guys from...

...Imperium Romanum are at large again?

Or maybe the people just did good research, and accidentally missed that detail (in fact, my sister says in the extras on the DVD they talk about this error. They say they checked if it had already been invented at that time, and found that it was. They only found out about it being invented by the Germans, when it was too late. I still have to watch that fifth DVD, which is the Extra DVD).

-

P.s.: "Imperium Romanum" really was an excellent Adventure game. It might have been a bit tricky at times (especially since we took some time to figure out how to open the game menu, meaning that we couldn't save the game for a long time). I really should try getting my hands on that one again...

Old 12-27-2005, 04:39 PM   #12
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Ooh, a Doctor Who and Torchwood thread! I was wondering how long it would take a Mod to decide that the Adventure Game Scene of the Day thread had gone heavily off-topic .

Quote:
Or maybe the people just did good research, and accidentally missed that detail (in fact, my sister says in the extras on the DVD they talk about this error. They say they checked if it had already been invented at that time, and found that it was. They only found out about it being invented by the Germans, when it was too late. I still have to watch that fifth DVD, which is the Extra DVD).
I wonder if this is anything like the Doctor Who Confidential episodes that may still be available from the BBC website. They were pretty good for behind-the-scenes information .

Quote:
P.s.: "Imperium Romanum" really was an excellent Adventure game. It might have been a bit tricky at times (especially since we took some time to figure out how to open the game menu, meaning that we couldn't save the game for a long time). I really should try getting my hands on that one again...
Never heard of it .

Last edited by RLacey; 12-27-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #13

Are there any plans to bring the show to America? I'm able to watch the show on CBC, but it would be nice to have it on an american channel anyway so they could at least release the show on dvd here. And for the people that have the new series on dvd, is it by the season or do they still only release a few episodes on dvd, and have multiple dvds per season. I really want to pick up dvds of the older episodes since I haven't seen them, but $30 for a couple of episodes is too much.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChimp
Are there any plans to bring the show to America? I'm able to watch the show on CBC, but it would be nice to have it on an american channel anyway so they could at least release the show on dvd here. And for the people that have the new series on dvd, is it by the season or do they still only release a few episodes on dvd, and have multiple dvds per season. I really want to pick up dvds of the older episodes since I haven't seen them, but $30 for a couple of episodes is too much.

I don't know about the old series, but the new series (Series 1) with Christopher Eccleston was the entire season on 4 DVDs, plus a whole DVD with Extras. And that's not all, but it also came in a lovely box in the shape of the TARDIS (It's square if you look at it from the top).

-

Old 12-27-2005, 10:48 PM   #15
Psychonaut

Did anyone watch the christmas special.

I thought it was OK and I'm not a fan of the new series.

David Tennant impressed me more than Ecclestone ever did. Shame he was unconcious for most of the episode.

Still cheesy though. Killer Santas and christmas trees

Managed to get the Torchwood rreference in for the spin off.

The teaser for season 2 looked ok. K-9 and the Cybermen are back.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:48 PM   #16
More slaw!!!

A Captain Jack spinoff?! Awesome. Though I think it would be better to have him as a casual companion in the actual Doctor Who series.

Now all they need to do is have an episode with the Brigadier...
Old 12-28-2005, 02:31 AM   #17
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChimp
Unfortunately America isn't really seen as a viable market or something. Must be something to do with the fact that nobody watched the Paul McGann episode made for the Americans (though it was scheduled against something stupidly big like the last episode of a soap or something).

Which is a shame, because it's all very enjoyable (as you know).

@Lucien: I saw some of it (I was recording it but the hard disk ran out half way through so I had to rush in and watch the second half), and plan to watch the rest. I enjoyed it, and Tennant appears to be good (and, as with Eccleston, I thought he'd be rubbish. I'm obviously a bad judge of character!).

Old 12-28-2005, 02:32 AM   #18
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
Now all they need to do is have an episode with the Brigadier...
lol. There's already the cybermen to look forward to, along with a single episode featuring K9 and Sarah Jane Smith. Too much more might be overkill for this series .

Old 12-28-2005, 02:38 AM   #19

I am happy to announce that from Spring 2006, the German television station Pro7 is going to broadcast the new episodes of Dr. Who!

It goes without saying that my respect for Pro7 just took a giant leap upwards.

-

Old 12-28-2005, 02:40 AM   #20
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
I am happy to announce that from Spring 2006, the German television station Pro7 is going to broadcast the new episodes of Dr. Who!

It goes without saying that my respect for Pro7 just take a giant leap upwards.

-
Are they starting with Eccleston or Tennant? And will you get The Christmas Invasion? A surprisingly good Christmas special, it was, so it would be a shame if they didn't show it.