You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Favorite Kid's Shows

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #61
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Finders Keepers
Sucked. Get the Picture was so much better.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:09 PM   #62
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I miss Blockbusters.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:58 PM   #63
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
Is "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" the one with kids telling scary stories around a campfire (if I remember correctly). That one really ruled. It scared me to death when I was a kid.
Indeed it was, and indeed it did rule. It reminded me of a sort of Twilight Zone for kids... though just in the sense of the story topics being things kids could relate to more, *not* in the sense of the plots being dumbed down (because IMHO the stories were quite well-crafted/presented).

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 12-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #64
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Indeed it was, and indeed it did rule. It reminded me of a sort of Twilight Zone for kids... though just in the sense of the story topics being things kids could relate to more, *not* in the sense of the plots being dumbed down (because IMHO the stories were quite well-crafted/presented).

Peace & Luv, Liz
I still remember seeing an episode where some kids went into a house and there was a ghost there (or something) of a little girl walking around in her nightdress. That really scared the living daylights out of me.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:40 PM   #65
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I always watched this
Old 12-22-2005, 02:41 PM   #66
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
I still remember seeing an episode where some kids went into a house and there was a ghost there (or something) of a little girl walking around in her nightdress. That really scared the living daylights out of me.
Scariest episode was the one with that comic book. It was about an evil jester that popped out of the comics and did a lot of Joker shit. Only 100x scarier.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:12 PM   #67
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo

I always watched this
Oh man, that was ace.

I saw a fancy new computer generated version on the TVs in some electronics store yesterday.

Needless to say, it was rubbish.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #68
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Oh man, that was ace.

I saw a fancy new computer generated version on the TVs in some electronics store yesterday.

Needless to say, it was rubbish.
I've never understood why they don't just repeat the old ones. I'm pretty sure that the kids making up the target audience wouldn't care that it looks a little old-fashioned (if they even noticed)...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #69
woof

Quote:
I've never understood why they don't just repeat the old ones. I'm pretty sure that the kids making up the target audience wouldn't care that it looks a little old-fashioned (if they even noticed)...
Theyre doing it to allot of old kids shows, today I stumbled upon some Inspector Gadget CG movie with crappy animations, its like everyones hair is solid
Old 12-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #70
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
It's completely unfathomable for programmes like Thomas the Tank Engine. They're set in the past, the production values will not have to improved in the intervening years (in the case of the CG version, it actually looked cheaper), and it's not as though the kids are going to notice. To be honest, you could apply this to some (but obviously not all) live-action series, too. Just look at the old, old episodes of Chucklevision still gracing our screens!

I certainly never noticed that Thunderbirds, Stingray and Captain Scarlet were all looking a bit dated when I first saw them as a child - and they're pretty extreme examples! They're set in the "future" (around about now), yet all the characters smoke, use mysterious 60s phrases and in one episode of Thunderbirds, the Traceys go to the most hilarious 'club' ever. The first few seconds of Stingray make a fuss of the fact it's in colour! Wow!

Speaking of which... anything can happen in the next half hour!

And speaking of which again, the CG remake of Captain Scarlet. Urgh. I can see a pattern emerging...
Old 12-24-2005, 02:59 AM   #71
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Great old shows I used to watch a lot:

Dogtanian
Around the World in 80 days with Willy Fogg
Transformers
GI Joe
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Captain Planet (ok, well this wasn't a great show but I still watched it a lot)
Alfred J Kwak (A really weird animated show with all the Hitler references and such)
Some of the new 80's-90's Disney shows: DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, that one RoboDuck or whatever it was...
Inspector Gadget
Warner Bros' animated series

also a lot more shows that I can't remember right now.

It was kind of funny now that I remember when I was in Florida in 1992, I watched Darkwing Duck and other great new series from our hotel room tv. Then a year or something like that later the shows came to Finland I new a lot about them before anyone else.

One thing is very clear, these days nobody makes good kids shows anymore, everything is just fast made assembly line crap.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:22 AM   #72
Chris Barraclough

Definitely, kids shows these days are a joke. At least you can get the old classics on DVD now, so we can re-educate the youth of today.

I think Captain Planet is best avoided though!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 12-24-2005, 04:20 AM   #73
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Definitely, kids shows these days are a joke. At least you can get the old classics on DVD now, so we can re-educate the youth of today.

I think Captain Planet is best avoided though!
I used to love captain planet. I never missed an episode. It had good morals too.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-24-2005, 06:52 AM   #74
Fulci lives

The first couple of years of Ducktales we´re really good.But then they had to start ripping off old Carl Barks stories.
These episodes we´re all f***ed up because off the addition of the new characters, like Gizmoduck who wasn´t in the original Barks stories in the first place.Pure s**t.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:06 AM   #75
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

When I have kids I'm definatly buying all classics on DVD so they can watch real classics not rip offs.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #76
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
When I have kids I'm definatly buying all classics on DVD so they can watch real classics not rip offs.
I would recommend getting shows in a second language you want your kids to learn. I learned English when I was a kid by watching cartoons on Satellite.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-24-2005, 04:44 PM   #77
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Speaking of which... anything can happen in the next half hour!

And speaking of which again, the CG remake of Captain Scarlet. Urgh. I can see a pattern emerging...
Captian Scarlet was the best out of the lot

...did that say it was filmed in supermarionation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
The first couple of years of Ducktales we´re really good.But then they had to start ripping off old Carl Barks stories.
These episodes we´re all f***ed up because off the addition of the new characters, like Gizmoduck who wasn´t in the original Barks stories in the first place.Pure s**t.
I liked Gizmoduck

...cant really remember all the stuff that went on in ducktails but i do remember I liked gizmoduck and his 'Uni-cycle' leg
Old 12-25-2005, 12:30 AM   #78
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Gizmoduck was just what I meant with the RoboDuck, it was funny.

So, that character was part of the DuckTales series? I thought that it had it's own series, but I guess I remembered wrong.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:37 AM   #79
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Gizmoduck was just what I meant with the RoboDuck, it was funny.

So, that character was part of the DuckTales series? I thought that it had it's own series, but I guess I remembered wrong.
Dunno if he had his own series, but he did show up in a couple of episodes of Darkwing Duck.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:32 AM   #80
Chris Barraclough

Ah man, my mum was gonna get me Dogtanian series 2 on DVD for Christmas but the queue was too big at HMV, so she got me an umbrella instead And one of her presents was the James Blunt CD which I've been subjected to all day! Still, lunch was ace, and bevvies in my uncles hot tub tonight, ahhh!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk