View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #70
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I've never understood why they don't just repeat the old ones. I'm pretty sure that the kids making up the target audience wouldn't care that it looks a little old-fashioned (if they even noticed)...
It's completely unfathomable for programmes like Thomas the Tank Engine. They're set in the past, the production values will not have to improved in the intervening years (in the case of the CG version, it actually looked cheaper), and it's not as though the kids are going to notice. To be honest, you could apply this to some (but obviously not all) live-action series, too. Just look at the old, old episodes of Chucklevision still gracing our screens!

I certainly never noticed that Thunderbirds, Stingray and Captain Scarlet were all looking a bit dated when I first saw them as a child - and they're pretty extreme examples! They're set in the "future" (around about now), yet all the characters smoke, use mysterious 60s phrases and in one episode of Thunderbirds, the Traceys go to the most hilarious 'club' ever. The first few seconds of Stingray make a fuss of the fact it's in colour! Wow!

Speaking of which... anything can happen in the next half hour!

And speaking of which again, the CG remake of Captain Scarlet. Urgh. I can see a pattern emerging...