You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 03:47 AM   #1
Dread Pirate

Default Serenity NOW!

I strongly suggest getting yourself over to the local cinema to see Serenity this weekend. I saw an advance screening in May. Let me tell you... BEST. MOVIE. EVER.*

* - Well, best scifi movie of the year, anyway. It deserves your $10 and two hours. You won't regret it!

Go!
Old 09-30-2005, 04:08 AM   #2
Epinionated.

Oh, baby. Great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Apparently even non-Serenity fans are loving it.

Shiny...
Old 09-30-2005, 04:31 AM   #3
More slaw!!!

I would like to see this movie. This weekend. Unfortunately everywhere in the world except for my local cinema has started screening it, however,
Old 09-30-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I really would love to see Serenity as soon as possible, but it may not come to finnish theaters at all. There has been some rumors about November but I'm not trusting imdb on this.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:53 PM   #5
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I was going to go see it today, but I still haven't finished watching the DVD's yet. I've got three more episodes left. I'll be seeing Serenity on Monday, I think. I'm so excited.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:39 PM   #6
Friendly Server Admin

The movie kicks unbelievable amounts of ass.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #7
SamNMax

The commercials made it look like a Sci-fi pictures original.

Old 10-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #8
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
The commercials made it look like a Sci-fi pictures original.
Good for you. Did that make you feel superior for a little while?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
SamNMax

Wow.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
Epinionated.

No, SamnMax has a point. I felt the same way.

Still, I picked up the series on the cheap and found it stunningly good stuff. Possibly one of the best bits of programming in Sci Fi in years, certainly better than anything Star Trek or Babylon Scrote. Up there with Farscape at least.

I watched the trailers, and thought it looked like the series. No big improvement in it from a cinematographic point of view, despite having Clint's dop. But I've heard so many good things about it, read so many good reviews, noticed Rotten Tomatoes ratings are insanely high for a Sci Fi, that I'm eager to see it - as a MOVIE.

The trailers are still quite duff though.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
SamNMax

Oh, I didn't realize that it started out as a TV series.

Old 10-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
No, SamnMax has a point. I felt the same way.

Still, I picked up the series on the cheap and found it stunningly good stuff. Possibly one of the best bits of programming in Sci Fi in years, certainly better than anything Star Trek or Babylon Scrote. Up there with Farscape at least.

I watched the trailers, and thought it looked like the series. No big improvement in it from a cinematographic point of view, despite having Clint's dop. But I've heard so many good things about it, read so many good reviews, noticed Rotten Tomatoes ratings are insanely high for a Sci Fi, that I'm eager to see it - as a MOVIE.

The trailers are still quite duff though.
I agree that the trailers were terrible. I was a fan of the series and I don't think they adequately represented the character of the franchise at all. I'm really not sure that the cinematography on the show was at a point where it needed to be improved on, though. I think David Boyd did an excellent job on Firefly, probably a much better job than many films I've seen lately.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #13
The Reggienator

Did the same firm create the effects for the movie as they did with the series (and BSG)?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #14
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Did the same firm create the effects for the movie as they did with the series (and BSG)?
Yeah, same effects house.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #15
The Reggienator

Nice.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #16
Citizen of Bizarro World

This movie abso-fecking-lutely rocked! I'm so glad I missed a binge drinking party to go see this tonight!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 10-02-2005, 08:25 AM   #17
Elegantly copy+pasted

The universally good reviews make it tempting to go see Serenity, but I could never figure out what was so great about Firefly. I felt it had some of the blandest characters ever in a sci-fi show, awkward "cowboy style" dialogue mixed with awkward interjections of Chinese and awkward fake swearwords, and some extremely questionable casting (Nathan Fillion? Gimme a break!). Overall, it showed a remarkable lack of ambition in its scope.

I didn't have patience for more than a couple of episodes when it originally aired, and giving it a second look in advance of the movie it compares extremely unfavorably with Battlestar Galactica.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:02 PM   #18
The Reggienator

So the latest reports say that Sandrew-Metronome has taken Serenity away from upcoming movie lists in Finland...

Damn I was lucky and made the right choice when I went and saw it in London.

Also, the cover for the Serenity Region 1 DVD has been released, also with info about the extras.

http://www.whedon.info/article.php3?...menu-mq-04.jpg

(is it just me or does the bottom part of the cover remind about Chronicles of Riddick dvd cover?)

* English and French DD5.1 Surround
* English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
* Feature Commentary with Writer/Director Joss Whedon
* Deleted Scenes
* Outtakes
* Future History: The Story of Earth That Was
* What’s in a Firefly
* Re-Lighting the Firefly
* Joss Whedon Introduction

Old 11-03-2005, 02:34 PM   #19
Easily amused

I didn't know about the TV series either. I loved this movie so much, I saw it twice. Good story, humor, no big screen stars to distract you - it was great. I also liked the fallible hero and the falling apart ship.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #20

Too bad that the movie hasn't even grossed 25 million dollars in the US. I'd love to see a series of movies (assuming Joss Whedon could continue write decent scripts) but I'm not sure if the movie has made enough money for that. It's frustrating an absolute bore of a movie like Doom will end up grossing more than Serenity.