You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #41
A Servicable Villain

I liked the movie a lot, but there were a few things I found puzzling, or lacking. At times there was still too much of a tv-mentality going on where they would say stuff was happening instead of showing it (where showing it would have meant a great deal more in this case; I'm talking about a bit at the ending), and the
Spoiler:
unprovoked killing of a major character that had a vital function in the synergy of the team was of course uncalled for, unnecessary and far too random. There's just no reason other than trying to be edgy and 'unpredictable'. And that's a shame, because the writing is so good it could've have handled a little more clichéd narrative in that aspect.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:04 PM   #42
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
It has been on the Sci-Fi UK channel tons of times.

Just not on poor mans telly (terrestial)
Ah, I think the last programme I watched on Sci-Fi was that John Doe thing! What a great (bizarre) series - it made so little sense that after the final episode, they had a competition where the best explanation of what the hell it was all about would win!

And to Flux...
Spoiler:
I agree, the death of that one major character (ok, double spoiler space, Wash) was completely pointless. As a viewer who had only seen the film at the time, I didn't really care because he hadn't had enough screen-time for me to gain an emotional attachment to him. If I had seen Firefly first, it would have bothered me more, but then it would have seemed incredibly arbitrary. All in all, I'm not sure why they did it!
Old 12-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #43
Citizen of Bizarro World

Spoiler:
It ramped up the tension. Towards the end of the movie, every single character was injured, and in danger of dying. Someone had to die to give emotional depth to those scenes, so you'd be thinking "who's gonna go next?" as opposed to "whatever, just get on with it". I didn't like the choice, but I understand why it was made, and I think it made for a better movie, overall.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #44
Super Moderator

Spoiler:
I had never seen the series at all before I watched the movie and the death still made me cry. I liked him.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #45
scribeswindow

Over in Australia, channel seven which bought the rights to Firefly decided to show it at midnight!! There was absolutely no attempt to treat this show with the respect it deserved. Anyway, I was lucky enought to view all the episodes that were made recently, and I must now go and watch this movie. Albeit, on DVD. But better viewing this than nothing.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:57 AM   #46
A Servicable Villain

Spoiler:
You do have a point, Huz. If that character wouldn't have died, we wouldn't REALLY have felt there was something at stake. Point taken. But I still lament it, because Wash was the main wellspring of comic relief. And seeing as where Firefly is going, it could have needed that. Who's going to go play the disgruntled husband now? Simon?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #47
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I kinda had mixed feelings about that scene..

Spoiler:
He was getting a bit annoying with that "I am a leaf in the wind, watch how I soar" thing, he said it like five time then half way through his last time he got impaled and i was like "Finaly, that shut him up"
....then i realised he was really getting killed off
and shepard aswell...ive only seen a couple of episodes of firefly so i know he was a main character aswell. although the movie wouldnt have been as good as it was without those deaths

By the way...I heard that Joss wanted to make a series of firefly movies...dont know if that was true or not though
Old 12-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #48

I liked the movie, but not that much. I actually liked Chronicles Of Riddick more, and those two movies are kinda similar.

The storyline of Serenity also reminded me a lot of Starcraft:
Spoiler:

alliance = confederacy
getrainde psychics = ghosts
reavers = zerg
River Tam = Kerrigan
Old 12-13-2005, 02:36 PM   #49
A Servicable Villain

Wow, I think I disagree with just about everything you said. I love the Chronicles of Riddick but am hard pressed to find more than the most passing of resemblances. And Starcraft is totally different as well, both in story as in setup. A totalitarian government is an archetypical element in science fiction. And in all respects, Starcraft is so token that it's not hard to copy, but Serenity... just isn't doing it. Serenity is far more a beast of its own. If anything, it resembles stuff like... Starwars, in its thematic romance. Starcraft itself is -just like Warcraft- almost a carbon copy of Games Workshop Warhammer races, by the way. Not that I like it any less because of it.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #50
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/serenity3.html

Details about the R2 Serenity dvd release have been announced, the R2 cover art looks excellent compared to the R1, I guess I'll have to buy this one too!
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:47 AM   #51
Citizen of Bizarro World

Is R2 the English release? The one with the extra extra features? I want it!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 01-13-2006, 01:57 AM   #52
The Reggienator

Yeah, R2 is the english European release with the extra documentary.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 01-13-2006 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:10 AM   #53
A Servicable Villain

What was the R1 cover?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:57 AM   #54
The Reggienator

This:

Old 01-13-2006, 04:40 AM   #55
A Servicable Villain

Disgusting how generic they can make things sound exactly by proclaiming something is "the ultimate action adventure".

I'm not negatively predisposed towards this cover however. It's more ,,WAR!!" than the other and a bit less Firefly, but still nice. Somehow reminds me of The Chronicles of Riddick.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:35 AM   #56
The Reggienator

Yeah, the first thing that came to my mind about that cover was Riddick too.
I guess it was because of those brown/red colors on the lower half.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #57
Psychonaut

The cover is hideous. It's shiney as hell, Any kind of light near it and you can hardly make out the cover.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:25 AM   #58
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I like the way the name is though, it would have good if it was that design, but the Reigon 2 font on the reigon 2 cover

but yeah, the US cover baisicly looks like it was done by someone who sat in 2 classes of basic photoshop and saw themselves as an "artiste"
Old 01-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #59
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Maybe I should buy that Firefly pack and see what all the fuss is actually about .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #60
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Maybe I should buy that Firefly pack and see what all the fuss is actually about .
I got the complete series pack for Christmas (it was a belated present from my Aunt and Uncle). I haven't popped it in yet. I had never seen Firefly but then saw the movie and thought I'd give it a go.