You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Non-adventure game recommendations for adventure gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #41
Supreme Dictator for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Fallout: A Post Apocalyptic Role Playing Game
YES! I'm glad somebody mentioned this as it's one of my favs. I'd also recommend Fallout 2 which is essentially Fallout on a greater scale. Great story, the actions you take actually have an *impact* on the game world, contains adventurey elements and doesn't have any twitch gameplay.

Also:

Deus Ex

Anachronox - plays a bit like a Final Fantasy game, and one of the funniest games I've played

Arcanum - basically fallout with swords and magic
Old 08-02-2005, 12:45 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
What's its predecessor Another World like?
Excellent, but much tougher than Flashback.
It's got an unique graphical style, which you can love or hate, and it's more oppressive and dark than Flashback.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:32 AM   #43
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
System Shock[/i] allowed you to turn the combat down to non-existant . You could try one of those?
Yeah, I remember that. Setting the combat to easy meant that enemies didn't attack unless they were attacked first. What I found riotously funny was that it also decreased their damage resistance so they only took one shot to kill.
Quote:
What's its predecessor Another World like?
It's really good. Nowhere near as polished as Flashback but choc full with more innovation than you can poke a stick at. As I mentioned in my earlier post, it's also considerably more Adventure-y than Flashback, as many of the scenarios take quite a bit of thinking to overcome.

[Edit: Whoops, failed to notice this thread had spilt onto another page, so I missed Ninth's post . Yeah, what he said.]

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 08-02-2005 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:43 AM   #44
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

I like old games. And as much as I like the newer games like Beyond Good and Evil and Splinter Cell, I would pick up Alone In the Dark games (I still prefer the original one, though 2 is much better) whenever I could to relive some memories. It's either that or adventure games these days...
Old 08-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #45
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Just downloaded Flashback from an abandonware site... Yeah, I'm evil. But I don't have my Amiga anymore. What's its predecessor Another World like?
It's even better than Flashback, at least in my opinion.
If I had a Flash cart, I'd play the gba version of Another World right now.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #46
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

You should also look out the new Fable game thats coming to the pc

http://www.lionhead.com/fabletlc/index.html

not exactly a port from the xbox version but the game they originaly intended to make.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #47
merely human

Karmillo........is your avatar okay?

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Anachronox.
I loved that game, and never met anybody else who'd even heard of it (outside of planetanachronox.com)
Old 08-02-2005, 07:16 PM   #49
Curiouser and curiouser

Actually it comes up a lot on the forums, as does this topic as a whole (although usually in general gaming.) I first heard about Anachronox, appropriately enough, from AG's illustrious editor-in-chief, here. I now own it and regularly stare at its beauteous aqua packaging, but have never been able to install it properly.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #50
merely human

ECsie!!! Girl, where the hell have you been?! I missed you!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-03-2005, 12:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
Actually it comes up a lot on the forums, as does this topic as a whole (although usually in general gaming.) I first heard about Anachronox, appropriately enough, from AG's illustrious editor-in-chief, here. I now own it and regularly stare at its beauteous aqua packaging, but have never been able to install it properly.
It's worth the trouble, though. Pretty blocky graphics, and some heavy backtracking, but all the rest is pure happiness.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:22 AM   #52

Firstly Hi Guys,

I was surfing the forum and couldn't resist posting in this thread. I'm currently playing Moment of Silence, but between adventures or whenever I get frustrated by the latest puzzle I cant fathom, I hang out on a MMORPG called the Midnight Runners.

Its an Ultima Online emulation and best of all its totally FREE to play. You don't even need the original game as its also free to download, although its a large file.

I've always avoided online games due to the inevitable stress that goes with the territory, but this place is a breath of fresh air with the staff that run it always keen to listen to players and help in any way, as well as make the time we spend there as much fun as possible. Theres a great sense of community.

Sorry if my first post here sounds like a commercial, just figured its rare to get something for nothing which is any good, so thought i'd share , hope thats ok.

oooh link to their webby is http://www.avalonbears.com/MNR/index.htm
forum is http://midnightrunners.proboards3.com/.

the staff were great helping me to get started and set up via the forums.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:04 AM   #53
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Fallout: A Post Apocalyptic Role Playing Game
Not only the best game ever, but also has a lot of adventure elements in it, done better than adventure games do them.

The story is excellent, the main plot is gripping but I won't spoil it for you, but also each place you go to has its own story, each person is his own character, the world doesn't revolve around you, but you still make a difference and get involved in important events in peoples lives.

The dialogue on a writing perspective is a lot better than most adventures you will find, but if it can't out right beat any adventure game at quality, it has the quanity of this superb dialogue. The dialogue system also puts adventure games to shame, with dialogue that effects gameplay, has different paths, and not so many loops. The voice acting has a number of great stars, and is done extremely well, possibly the best in any game.

There are many puzzles, and they are better than the puzzles in most adventures on many levels. They are fresh and varied, a lot of unique and challenging ones. There are many ways to solve a problem, something I find very dissappointing in adventure games. A lot of these different ways also have an effect on the gameplay and the story.

The graphics aren't particularly great in a technical respect, the animation isn't very realistic but it is smooth. The graphics have character, and a lot of humour, but also done in a gritty, real way.

I agree! Fallout rules. And so does Fallout 2, which I am currently playing (do yourself a favour and *NEVER* play Fallout 2 without having the patches installed. Also, you should know that installing the patch makes savegames from the unpatched version unuseable.)

I love the games! Also, the random encounters are hilarious. (I only say: Bridgekeeper!)

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 08-14-2005, 07:57 AM   #54
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I agree! Fallout rules. And so does Fallout 2, which I am currently playing (do yourself a favour and *NEVER* play Fallout 2 without having the patches installed. Also, you should know that installing the patch makes savegames from the unpatched version unuseable.)
And, if you play a European copy, download the unofficial fix for the invisible children who pickpocket plot-essential items. I wish I was kidding.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:12 AM   #55
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
And, if you play a European copy, download the unofficial fix for the invisible children who pickpocket plot-essential items. I wish I was kidding.

I know about the children, but they are not pickpocketing in the german version.

"Wir have destroyed die stehlende Kinder! They von't ärgerern you jetzt!"

Iggy...you're scaring me...please speak proper german.

"Na gut..."

Apparently they were able to remove them completely in the german version. At least that's *something* if you take into account that most of the localization team will be sent into at least the 8th ring of grammar hell, for the crimes they commited against the german language.

(In the status window they translated "You missed" into "Du verfehlt" [which is correct, if the subject is somebody else. Example: "Cassidy verfehlt".]when it should be "Du verfehlst" [present tense] or "Du hast verfehlt". In Fallout 1 they solved it by saying "Du hast voll danebengetroffen!" ("You missed by miles!" )

Also, they translated "Chosen One" as "Auserwähltes Wesen", which is more like "Chosen Creature". They probably did this because Chosen one can be translated as "Auserwählte" (female) or "Auserwählter" (male). They also translated all the other names like "Brotherhood of Steel" ("Stählerne Bruderschaft"), "Vault 13"/"Vault" ("Bunker 13"/"Bunker"), "Deathclaw" ("Todeskralle"), "Meatdog" ("Hundefleisch" - Although this is only in the status window, suggesting that the actual dialog and stuff were translated by someone else than the guy who did the status window), "Vault Dweller" ("Bunkerbewohner"), "Caravans" ("Karawanen"), and other such words, although they didn't translate them in the first game.

But the worst thing I saw was "Pointer". They translated it into "Punkter", which isn't even a word. I had played the game for some time when I found out about there being a patch (and I had had some trouble already). So I installed that game, and only when that dialogue came up that second time I realized what the hell they were talking about. They should have said "Tip" or "Fingerzeig" (literally a word meaning: "Pointing of the finger [in the right direction]". "Finger" = "Finger" [duh]; "zeig"--> "zeigen" = "to show").

I'm getting the english version, though, so that I can patch it to include children (and to do the quests that were related to them), and so that I can hear Worf as Marcus.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:19 AM   #56
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Oh, and don't do a mission early on where you have to protect a load of mutated cows from dogs. Having attempted this a good ten times (due to forgetting to save, dying due to extreme bad luck and my unreliable computer crashing on me just as I completed the task) I actually screamed out loud before hitting my piano - conveniantly located next to the computer. It was already broken, though, so I don't think I made it any worse.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:39 AM   #57
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I'd like to echo Planescape:Torment and the Fallout series. In fact, Planescape is probably my #1 favorite game, any genre.

Has anyone mentioned Star Control 2 yet? You can have the computer fight battles for you if you need to, and the storyline and plot puzzles are fabulous, as involved as any good adventure or RPG. Not to mention the soundtrack is my favorite game soundtrack ever. And it's free.

For anyone with average or better action skills, I recommend Wing Commander 3 and 4. On the easiest settings the space shooting bits aren't hard enough to get frustrating (and I'm generally pretty horrible at action, so there you go), and the stories and FMV in both are excellent. They even have decision trees!

Peace & Luv, Liz
Old 08-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #58
Shai-Hulud to you

Well, to change a bit with the theme here, I'd suggest Starcraft and Stracraft Brood War. It's sincerely one of my favorite Sci-fi stories ever, close to the Dune saga in my heart, plus it's one of the most entertaining strategy games I have ever played. Sure, it seems rather simplistic compared to games like Rome: Total War, but in my mind it's just a masterpiece of gaming history. The plot is really juicy, well delivered, with twists and turns that extend all the way to the end of Brood War. It's just wonderful

Oh, another personal gem of mine is Descent 3, and maybe the expasion Mercenary. Did right what the previous Descent games didn't do well. Graphics look a bit dated by know, but at the moment they were astounding. It also has a lot of parts where you actually scratch your head to work around an obstacle, in a fashion not unlike those in Myst. Best played with a sidewinder type joystick, I say.

Of course, I'd second Unreal Tournament 2004 just for some trully innovative and entertaining games in blast galore. I'm just addicted to that game. Bombing run and Onslaugth are marvelous.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:20 PM   #59
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiajun
Oh, another personal gem of mine is Descent 3, and maybe the expasion Mercenary. Did right what the previous Descent games didn't do well. Graphics look a bit dated by know, but at the moment they were astounding. It also has a lot of parts where you actually scratch your head to work around an obstacle, in a fashion not unlike those in Myst. Best played with a sidewinder type joystick, I say.
I wish I'd bought that game when I first saw it on budget. I have the original two games, but not the third . Speaking of which, any of the Descent games are a blast in co-op .

Old 08-14-2005, 11:58 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiajun
Well, to change a bit with the theme here, I'd suggest Starcraft and Stracraft Brood War. It's sincerely one of my favorite Sci-fi stories ever, close to the Dune saga in my heart, plus it's one of the most entertaining strategy games I have ever played. Sure, it seems rather simplistic compared to games like Rome: Total War, but in my mind it's just a masterpiece of gaming history. The plot is really juicy, well delivered, with twists and turns that extend all the way to the end of Brood War. It's just wonderful.
Agreed. It really uses the idea that you the player are doing this, driving the course of events, to full effect. Great game.