You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Non-adventure game recommendations for adventure gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 01:32 PM   #21
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
It's kind of painful to go through the list of games being recommended as their sole purpose seem to be to mock me for being completely inept at playing action heavy games.

The games that I think would have loved but never finished becasue they were too hard:

Dues EX
System Shock 2
Half Life
Thief
Realms of the Haunting

Notice a trend? I need to get me some skillZ. I'm missing out on a lot of gaming goodness because I suck.

Thief: Deadly Shadows is a lot easier than the previous two. And the original System Shock allowed you to turn the combat down to non-existant . You could try one of those?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #22
merely human

I'm gonna get called a whore for this by the usual suspects.

Clockwise from top: Silent Hill 3, KOTOR, Jade Empire.

Um...

Jade Empire (RPG) - solid story, several subplots with quests, tons of exploration, love, romance, sacrifice, fate, destiny, and magic, all set in an ancient mystical Eastern land (um, it's pretty much China). For an RPG it's actually easy enough for the newbie, so adventure gamers shouldn't feel intimidated.

Knights Of The Old Republic I and II (RPG) - erm, same as above but set in the Star Wars universe (but arguably FAR better than the stupid episodes I-III). Also, it leans more towards hardcore RPG, much more complicated and intricate system than Jade Empire, so take your time, learn the nuances, and enjoy.

Silent Hill series (Survival Horror) - As close as you can get to an adventure game while still running around killing things (yes, things, not people ). Psychological horror and mindf@&king. This is NOT a game for kids or those who freak out easily. But the narratives are strong, the characters fragile and human, the puzzles diabolical, the graphics beautiful and haunting, and the atmosphere among the deepest you'll ever experience. I strongly recommend Silent Hill 2, its story puts most adventure game stories to shame in terms of emotional power and resonance. Play these games at night, lights turned off, sound turned up!!

And also, most everything everyone else here recommends (especially ICO, Beyond Good & Evil, etc.).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #23
capsized.

Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Knights Of The Old Republic I and II (RPG) - erm, same as above but set in the Star Wars universe (but arguably FAR better than the stupid episodes I-III). Also, it leans more towards hardcore RPG, much more complicated and intricate system than Jade Empire, so take your time, learn the nuances, and enjoy.
Really? Compared to Bioware's previous effort(s), it's really light-hearted and straight forward. That's the reason I didn't like it that much at first. Just downloaded Flashback from an abandonware site... Yeah, I'm evil. But I don't have my Amiga anymore. What's its predecessor Another World like?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #24
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Whore!

Quote:
Really? Compared to Bioware's previous effort(s), it's really light-hearted and straight forward. That's the reason I didn't like it that much at first.
You forget, samsie, that the guys is asking for a non-ag recommendations for ag'ers, not for hardcore RPGers. So something like KOTOR would seem very complicated to adventure gamer mindset, especially if the gamer has never played an RPG before. They are more likely to play it for its story, characters, and exploration than for its intricate RPG system.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-01-2005, 03:07 PM   #25

I can recommend another truly great game very much like Flashback and/or Another World. It's one of the last original amiga-titles, and a ported PC version is now available for download for free.

Download OnEscapee NOW! I guarantee that if you like Another World, Flashback or both, you WILL like this game.

Be aware, I know lots of people get an error when trying to install the game. It seems some computers have trouble downloading the game correctly. Strange indeed. But you won't know until you've tried it, will you? I just downloaded it, and installed it, and it runs beautifully. And I can't recommend this game enough!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #26
capsized.

Oh, I almost forgot about that. I missed my 200+ spells, dozens of character classes and hard fights. I *didn't miss* having to reload after my party gets killed over and over again near the end of a non-skippable 10+ minute battle of epic proportions, but it's a really, really good game anyway, so yeah!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
Elder Scrolls -Morrowind -To see what how real a virtual world can feal. This game is masterfully crafted and it is so easy to loose yourself in all the intricate detail that was put into this massive world. Plus, I enjoyed the open ended-ness of the gameplay that let the player descide how they want to play. First time I played it, I made a mistake and couldn't continue the main story-line... didn't stop me from spending hours and hours continuing to play the game and having fun.

I borrowed that game off a buddy and was disappointed. It was slow and jumpy and I spent half the time tracking around the huge and beautifully rendered landscapes, not powerful enough to complete the next quest.

As for recommendations I'd go with the Halo games for a start; they are just so awesome. My favourite FPS's after Unreal Tourney, which I would also recommend.

Another awesome game is the PC version of Baldur's Gate ll: Shadows of Amn, such a huge game; I know people who have played it through dozens of times and still not experienced all that the game has to offer.

Oh, and any Splinter Cell game; I've played the original and Pandora Tommorrow (but I'm sure Chaos Theory is just as good, if not better) and they were both amazing, the best stealth games with the possible exception of MGS of course.

I'm sure there are many more I could list, but it's late and I'm tired...lol
Old 08-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #28
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
I can recommend another truly great game very much like Flashback and/or Another World. It's one of the last original amiga-titles, and a ported PC version is now available for download for free.
I didn't know there's a PC port and I always wanted to play it, thanks!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #29
BigRobot

I would definitely recommend Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube.

The story is memorable and the game feels pretty unique for a survival horror-type game. The game is openly inspired by the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, and it has you playing as several different protagonists in scenarios that take place in different locations and time periods. It's just an incredible game that got great marks when it came out (Gamespot : 9.4), and it's really the one Gamecube game that I find myself coming back to again and again.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #30
merely human

Too bad I don't own a Cube.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #31
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Fallout: A Post Apocalyptic Role Playing Game
Not only the best game ever, but also has a lot of adventure elements in it, done better than adventure games do them.

The story is excellent, the main plot is gripping but I won't spoil it for you, but also each place you go to has its own story, each person is his own character, the world doesn't revolve around you, but you still make a difference and get involved in important events in peoples lives.

The dialogue on a writing perspective is a lot better than most adventures you will find, but if it can't out right beat any adventure game at quality, it has the quanity of this superb dialogue. The dialogue system also puts adventure games to shame, with dialogue that effects gameplay, has different paths, and not so many loops. The voice acting has a number of great stars, and is done extremely well, possibly the best in any game.

There are many puzzles, and they are better than the puzzles in most adventures on many levels. They are fresh and varied, a lot of unique and challenging ones. There are many ways to solve a problem, something I find very dissappointing in adventure games. A lot of these different ways also have an effect on the gameplay and the story.

The graphics aren't particularly great in a technical respect, the animation isn't very realistic but it is smooth. The graphics have character, and a lot of humour, but also done in a gritty, real way.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #32
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
I actually do consider ICO an adventure.
ICO's an adventure. Holy crap, I really HAVE been missing out all these years.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:44 PM   #33
merely human

Yeah, personally I consider ICO to be an adventure as well:

Quote:
...if you actually possess even the suggestion of adventuring in you, you'll notice games like ICO as well. ICO, simply put, is sublime, a masterpiece of deceptively simple design, expansive atmosphere, and depth of emotional resonance. Per se, it is not an adventure game (it is filled with 'physical' demands - action and timed sequences requiring dexterity and reflex), yet it contains extremely high concentrations of what makes adventure games so potent. I'd even venture to say that ICO is fecund with the power of many adventure games distilled into one, and for that I argue that ICO is forthright a kind of true adventure game, for its minimalist, laconic, yet sheer emotional conveyance of character, story, challenges, and discovery. Ask anyone who has played it what they remember most about it, and they will most likely not talk about the 'awesome action' or 'cool gameplay' or even 'nice graphics', but will instead ejaculate such adjectives as 'magical', 'emotional', or 'breathtaking'. ICO, in its idiosyncratic way, is an adventure game incarnate.
The Cold Hotspot, AdventureDevelopers.com
Old 08-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #34
Adventure Lover

I'm going to have to get it then. Probably pretty cheap, correct?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:00 PM   #35
merely human

It's a Playstation2 exclusive, if you don't already know.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #36
OB

Mafia
Alice
Eternal Darkness(if you ever get yourself a Cube)
Resident Evil 4 - if you have a PS2 it'll grace it soon enough although not in fullblown Cube glory most likely
Fatal Frame 2
Old 08-01-2005, 05:39 PM   #37
Adventure Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It's a Playstation2 exclusive, if you don't already know.
Cool, I got a PS2.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:15 PM   #38

Discworld mud <-- Great if you like Terry pratchett's discworld and if you don't really care about graphics.
Armageddon mud <-- Probably the best roleplaying mud on the net. (Influenced by the Dune and Dark Sun books.)
NetHack <-- Addictive
Rogue <-- NetHack's predecessor
Uplink <-- great strategy/rpg game.
Planescape torment <-- if you can stand all the bugs
Little big adventure 1 & 2 as already mentioned are superb games that anyone really should try... heh, i remember back when i got myself a copy of lba 1 and how my friend and i nearly went mad (we just didn't find the save game function) and AFTER playing through it we came to the brilliant idea that maybe we should check the manual.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #39

If you have a PS2 theres alot of games id recomend that have a certain magic to them like Kingdom hearts which fuses the magic of disney with the magic of final fantasy. or ratchet and clank. for the PC I could recommend knights of the old republic 1+2

I cant believe no ones mentioned kingdom hearts that game and knights of the old republic is almost more of adventure games than the adventure genre especially kingdom hearts

www.kingdom-hearts.com

you basicly go around visiting disney worlds it has worlds from the little mermaid, winnie the pooh, alice in wonderland , tarzan, hercules, pinnocio, beauty and the beast, Alladin, peter pan, and mickey mouse. I wasnt even a big fan of disney but this brought back the memories and everytime i saw a new world yes even the little mermaid I was amazed the way it intros each world is fabulous.

Last edited by Lanze; 08-01-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #40

I'm a total Adventure slut, so as far as I am concerned, if you're not going to play an Adventure, you might as well play Pong or Space Invaders.

Antoinetta