You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight 4 - Ghosts in Tibet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #41
Bliss Of Sudden Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate me View Post
Ignoring the heart attacks , welcome to the forums !

Nah, still waiting, and waiting, and waiting...and signing petitions... I'll probably have kids and maybe even grandkids by then....

Have you played Jane's Grey Matter yet? I plan to, hopefully in the next weeks...

Thank you, i have been reading this forum for two years and today i decided to register Yes i have played it. I think im somewhere in the middle of Gray Matter. Took a long break, but i will continue to play it as soon as i have time.

Yeah, i thought that too the GK4 will take ages, maybe somewhere in 20?? it will be released and then im too old to even touch the computer mouse and i must watch my childrens to play it
Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #42

sadly it's a licensing issue. last news I heard was that Sierra (now owned by Activision) are refusing to sell their old licenses such as Gabriel Knight, Kings Quest, Laura Bow, etc to their original creators (who of course were part of Sierra at the time) although they don't have any plans to do anything with those licenses

until that can be resolved, there's no chance of a new Gabriel Knight, JJ is simply not legally allowed to continue telling her story
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 08-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #43

I think that boat has sailed. I mean, almost nobody knows who Gabriel Knight is anymore, it's just been too long since the last game. Also, Gabriel would be almost in his 50s now; who'd want to play that? I'd rather Jane Jensen focus on making something new (Gray Matter or otherwise) than on trying to revive the GK series.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #44
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
I think that boat has sailed. I mean, almost nobody knows who Gabriel Knight is anymore, it's just been too long since the last game. Also, Gabriel would be almost in his 50s now; who'd want to play that? I'd rather Jane Jensen focus on making something new (Gray Matter or otherwise) than on trying to revive the GK series.
I really have to disagree with this. Have you watched what kind of movies they make these days? Remake, remake, reboot, reboot, sequel, prequel... They definitely could revive the series if it were legally possible and someone just took it under their wing.

And why on earth would it need to be about this year? All the Black Mirror games are set in past and work fine. If they continued the series it definitely should continue right from where GK3 ended or in the near future. Just to be fair to the fans aching to know what happens with Gabriel and Grace.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
They definitely could revive the series if it were legally possible and someone just took it under their wing.
I agree. Monkey Island and Gabriel Knight are some of the most popular adventure game franchises, and if Monkey Island managed to get revival after 10 years, GK could do it, too.

Something WILL eventually happen with Sierra old licenses, if someone decides to give it a try of revival. Activision sold the King's Quest license to Telltale, so there's a possibility. As for now, we can only be glad that they managed to ruin only one franchise - Larry.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #46
Schättenjager

I think GK must revise as action/adventure that way have better chance for revival.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #47
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I think GK must revise as action/adventure that way have better chance for revival.
Perhaps the Tibetan monks will teach Grace a few kung-fu moves and Gabriel will discover a special button on his medallion that makes it shoot some kind of anti-witch laser. I can see it work very well with the established lore.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
Remake, remake, reboot, reboot, sequel, prequel...
Remakes and reboots, yes. Sequels and prequels, not so much, except for active franchises — which GK isn't. And when it comes to games, look at what happened to Monkey Island: ToMI is constructed so that people who've never played the original games, or who only have very vague memories from 20 years ago, can jump right in. And the new King's Quest games will probably be the same, or maybe even a complete reboot.

So a GK reboot that starts back from the beginning and re-tells the story in its own way? Maybe at some point. A ToMI-like situation, glossing over the events of GK3, with Gabriel and Grace going on more adventures, stuck forever in the same relationship, never aging, never evolving, like James Bond (pre-Daniel Craig), or George and Nico, or post-MI2 Guybrush and Elaine? That also might happen at some point (though I'm not sure I'd personally have much interest in that, because one of the great things about GK is the characters' journey). But a GK4 that picks up right where the previous game left off twelve years ago? Not a chance in hell.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #49

I would be glad to see Gabriel Knight 4 in ANY form. My only wish is that Jane Jensen is involved in it, because that way we would be sure that original author has to say something more about it - and if SHE thinks that next Gabriel Knight game should be about bunnies shooting cabbage bombs, that's fine with me.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
and if SHE thinks that next Gabriel Knight game should be about bunnies shooting cabbage bombs, that's fine with me.
Name:  lolllllllll.gif
Views: 644
Size:  1.6 KB
That cracks me up!

Anyways, I would love to see a GK 4 someday, I just replayed the whole series a few weeks ago...
Old 08-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #51

Bunnies shooting cabbage bombs. I don't even know what that means, but that's got to be one of the most memorable mental images conjured up on the forums here. Well done!

Much as I'd love GK4, I think I'd be a little wary if that was the subject matter though. I mean, I'd buy it day one no doubt, but I'm sure I'd be readjusting my expectations...
Old 08-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #52
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
I would be glad to see Gabriel Knight 4 in ANY form.
Personally I can't agree. Maybe it's just these 90's rose-tinted spectacles through which I view the games but it needs to be a traditional adventure (although with some v small "action" parts at the end like the other games) focusing on story and dialogue. I am not so fussed about graphics, after all GK must be one of the least consistent series graphically speaking, but it must a Jane Jensen (traditional) adventure game with the sort of budget the other ones had. [/personal opinion].

I don't think GK4 will ever be made but if it was here are the most likely ways that it could be made and ruined.

[> Get pinch of salt
> Pinch of salt taken.]

1. Hidden object game:- The Secret Mystery Adventure Files of Gabe Knight. Grandma knight has sadly passed on and Gabriel must spend hours rooting through the rooms in her house for miscellaneous rubbish.

2. Telltale coming anywhere near it:- Tales of a Schattenjager. I should say that I have nothing against Telltale and have enjoyed some of their games but they will produce an episodic, ugly, oversimplistic version of GK over my dead body!

3. Puzzle game:- Grace Nakimura: Puzzle Agent. Simply but stylishly drawn Grace solves the same four zany but nonsensical puzzles over and over again gaining the player an average of one achievement on steam every 4 clicks.

4. Lace Mamba do the marketing:- Never before has so little been done by so few to not inform so many.

5. Action/Adventure hybrid:- New Orleans Noire. Follow the career of Moseley throughout the NOPD to the CIA via the medium of Truth, dare Doubt or Lie. Actually who am I kidding, I would buy this game in an instant!

6. Facebook:- Rittersville. Build and maintain your own Rittersburg and spam your friends' facebook feeds with messages such as "Intense Degree just built a Bahnhof in Rittersville" every few minutes.

7. Tower Defence:- Schloss Defender. Available on IOS and Android. Build towers and place talismans to stop the inexorable march of creatures of the night towards your castle.

Anyway, as my Great Aunt Mabel used to say to me "That is enough!".
Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
Personally I can't agree. Maybe it's just these 90's rose-tinted spectacles through which I view the games but it needs to be a traditional adventure (although with some v small "action" parts at the end like the other games) focusing on story and dialogue. I am not so fussed about graphics, after all GK must be one of the least consistent series graphically speaking, but it must a Jane Jensen (traditional) adventure game with the sort of budget the other ones had. [/personal opinion].

I don't think GK4 will ever be made but if it was here are the most likely ways that it could be made and ruined.

[> Get pinch of salt
> Pinch of salt taken.]

1. Hidden object game:- The Secret Mystery Adventure Files of Gabe Knight. Grandma knight has sadly passed on and Gabriel must spend hours rooting through the rooms in her house for miscellaneous rubbish.

2. Telltale coming anywhere near it:- Tales of a Schattenjager. I should say that I have nothing against Telltale and have enjoyed some of their games but they will produce an episodic, ugly, oversimplistic version of GK over my dead body!

3. Puzzle game:- Grace Nakimura: Puzzle Agent. Simply but stylishly drawn Grace solves the same four zany but nonsensical puzzles over and over again gaining the player an average of one achievement on steam every 4 clicks.

4. Lace Mamba do the marketing:- Never before has so little been done by so few to not inform so many.

5. Action/Adventure hybrid:- New Orleans Noire. Follow the career of Moseley throughout the NOPD to the CIA via the medium of Truth, dare Doubt or Lie. Actually who am I kidding, I would buy this game in an instant!

6. Facebook:- Rittersville. Build and maintain your own Rittersburg and spam your friends' facebook feeds with messages such as "Intense Degree just built a Bahnhof in Rittersville" every few minutes.

7. Tower Defence:- Schloss Defender. Available on IOS and Android. Build towers and place talismans to stop the inexorable march of creatures of the night towards your castle.

Anyway, as my Great Aunt Mabel used to say to me "That is enough!".
Hahah...great post. Honestly though GK4 could work very well as a Grey Matter-esque modern adventure game. Just keep it away from Lace Mamba. Now all we need is for Blizzardvision to realize that they can actually do something with their old titles (other than let telltale near them) and maybe even throw a few dollars into it. After all just what the hell are they doing with all that WOW subscription money anyways? If I worked there it'd be my primary goal to use the company's good fortunes to reinvigorate their legacy franchises for a modern generation (especially GK and Phantasmagoria with their creators involved) especially given how LA Noir and Heavy Rain have proven that story driven, adventure-style gaming can work in the modern era if given a chance and a decent budget/marketing. I do realize whether these two examples are adventure games or not is certainly a matter of debate but why not a new Phantasmagoria or GK with some action elements like the magic system from Eternal Darkness and a budget of more than $1000?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #54

Default *also had a mild heart attack*

I've always toyed with a way to get around the copyright laws. Here's my idea: Grace HAS TO BE pregnant. In the first GK, Wolfgang mentions that each shattenjager has 3 tasks to perform---Gabe already did his 3. So! A sequel would take place in Tibet and his child (a girl, I think for poetic justice) would take on the title. But of course, since Gabe and Grace are estranged, this girl could spend the whole game not knowing what this "curse" really was called. You could be vague enough to evade any copyright laws.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #55

I don't like all this talk of GK4 never happening. I'm 18 but I've been a fan of Gabriel Knight since I was 14, and I believe that the series has potential. Especially with all the supernatural stuff that's popular right now (Twilight, Trueblood, Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, etc.) I'm not saying I'm a fan of these series, since most of them seem to be driven purely by sex appeal, or that they have as deep a storyline as the GK series, but the supernatural elements in the series could appeal to the younger generation.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Gabe in his 50s. Look at Indy in KotCS -- he was rather sprightly for an adventurer 20 years after his prime! Granted, he DID drink from the grail in the mid-to-late '30s -- maybe that helped

Let's put Dean Erickson back to work -- even if he is almost 20 years older since GK2!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #57
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat10115 View Post
I don't like all this talk of GK4 never happening. I'm 18 but I've been a fan of Gabriel Knight since I was 14, and I believe that the series has potential. Especially with all the supernatural stuff that's popular right now (Twilight, Trueblood, Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, etc.) I'm not saying I'm a fan of these series, since most of them seem to be driven purely by sex appeal, or that they have as deep a storyline as the GK series, but the supernatural elements in the series could appeal to the younger generation.
This is true - there is great potential. And old AGs have even made a return in recent times by remakes and new series and such. However, the case with GK is very difficult, and the realities of the gaming industry (or rather, business) being what they are, unfortunately it is just so, very highly unlikely. If Gray Matter had been an unwarranted mega-hit, we might've had a slightly different situation now, but the big companies that own the rights just won't want to put any money on something that most likely won't be a very large hit, not to mention succesful at all.

If there's even any idea who's sitting on the rights. JJ once said something along the lines that the rights have been buried so deep within company bureaucracy, mergers and corporate acquisitions that it might actually be unclear who has the rights now, that they don't know it themselves.

Not that we should all stop trying and dreaming of course, you never know, but one should keep in mind the unfortunate situation we're in concerning AGs and the gaming industry in general.