You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight 4 - Ghosts in Tibet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #1
Retired Buccaneer

Default Gabriel Knight 4 - Ghosts in Tibet?

Having recently played GK3 and read the GK2 novel, I wanted to share my thoughts on what the next game might have been like, had it been made.

From the ending of GK3, we know that (spoilers!)
Spoiler:
Grace has left carrying what will be Gabe's child in 9 months. It's pretty certain that she went to a monastery in Tibet (or Nepal or India maybe) for training Shadowhunter monks, whose head lama had written her by email.

And there's the famous easter egg in GK3, wherein if you search for "gabriel knight 4" on SIDNEY you get an entry about ghosts.

Well, at the start of the Gabriel Knight II novel, Gabe is trying to write a sequel to The Voodoo Murders. He starts with an idea about a "haunted ashram" (or monastery), and is about to drop a package from India into his protagonist's lap when writer's block hits. Furthermore, his mental image of the novel's hero in Indian garments is called "self-parody."

Now, Jane Jensen seems to occasionally tease us with hints about what might lie ahead in the series. (For example, she did this with Wolfgang alluding to an "old legend" about the Schattenjaegers' origin in GK1, and its revelation in GK3. Moreover, the GK2 novel shows us Grace's desire to put all of the Schattenjaeger library on a computer, as she's done by GK3.)

Is it possible that she intended the next chapter in the series to be set in a haunted Asian monastery? Would Gabriel have gone tracking Grace down and found himself dealing with ghosts?

Or do you all think I'm reading too much into things? Comments, please.

EDIT: Of course, just because Gabriel goes to Asia doesn't mean Grace will still be at the monastery by the time he arrives...

EDIT 2: This is a nice, but incorrect, theory, as others have pointed out. Instead, it appears Gabe would've gone to Scotland.

Last edited by ATMachine; 04-12-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:11 PM   #2

Its likely enough, its more or less what I have surmised, but alas! It doesn't look like there will ever be a Gabriel Knight IV, so I guess we'll never know.

Antoinetta
Old 04-11-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
I needed a dare

Kind of off topic...Who was the composer in GK II? I think i learned about him in my music class..
Old 04-11-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

I thought Jane Jensen said ghosts in Scotland.

Coop - do you mean Robert Holmes (Sierra composer) or Richard Wagner (actual real life opera composer)?
Old 04-11-2005, 08:43 PM   #5
merely human

I believe it was Scotland that came up in S.I.D.N.E.Y. after you searched.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-11-2005, 09:48 PM   #6

I still say that Sierra should pry its cold, dead, stiff hands off of the rights to Gabriel Knight, and let J. Jensen make GK4!!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
I needed a dare

wagner..and i did learn about him. pretty cool
Old 04-11-2005, 11:21 PM   #8
fire breathing

Spoiler:
I know they had sex, but how can you be sure Grace got pregnant? I've played that game through 6 or 7 times, and never got a confirmation from the game itself.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #9
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

I hate you so much for posting a topic with that title.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:50 AM   #10
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
Spoiler:
I know they had sex, but how can you be sure Grace got pregnant? I've played that game through 6 or 7 times, and never got a confirmation from the game itself.
Spoiler:
Well, in the game's resource file there's a comment that mentions the pregnancy. Also, in fiction every single one night stand leads to pregnancy. Rule of thumb.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:58 AM   #11
Retired Buccaneer

OK, I was wrong. It would have been England or Scotland after all, according to this interview with Jane Jensen.

Still, I admit it would have been neat to see Gabriel traveling to the mountains of Asia...
Old 04-12-2005, 06:50 AM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
Spoiler:
See this thread.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:53 AM   #13
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
Still, I admit it would have been neat to see Gabriel traveling to the mountains of Asia...
Or seeing him and Grace again at all, for that matter.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:43 AM   #14
fire breathing

why doesn't somebody just email Jane Jensen and ask her

Spoiler:
if Grace got pregnant?

Last edited by fov; 04-12-2005 at 09:01 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 04-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #15
Retired Buccaneer

All right, my posting this (misguided) theory seems to have aroused a lot of ill will. I'm sorry if I opened some old wounds. Now can we let this topic die?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
All right, my posting this (misguided) theory seems to have aroused a lot of ill will. I'm sorry if I opened some old wounds. Now can we let this topic die?
I don't think it's aroused ill will. (That frowny face looks so sad!)
Old 04-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #17
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop
I hate you so much for posting a topic with that title.
I guess I didn't realize, being so new to the series, how bitter its fans are over not having the story continued. For me it's easier to accept that the story is left incomplete, just like that of Loom, for example.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
I guess I didn't realize, being so new to the series, how bitter its fans are over not having the story continued. For me it's easier to accept that the story is left incomplete, just like that of Loom, for example.
Ahh. Yeah, GK fans are still kinda mad about it. (But I don't think Fop really meant that he hates you. )
Old 04-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #19
fire breathing

(((((ATMachine))))))
Old 04-13-2005, 02:03 AM   #20
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Ahh. Yeah, GK fans are still kinda mad about it. (But I don't think Fop really meant that he hates you. )
Don't take stuff I write too seriously