You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight 4 - Ghosts in Tibet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2005, 03:09 AM   #21
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
I guess I didn't realize, being so new to the series, how bitter its fans are over not having the story continued. For me it's easier to accept that the story is left incomplete, just like that of Loom, for example.
Don't take it too serious, ATMachine! I think we are simply jealous that your experience with the games is still so fresh while we have been waiting for a sequel for quite some time now and will probably do so for very much longer.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #22
Kate's lover

Send a message via ICQ to hj2004

Is it possible if some other company buy the rights from orignal dead company or a fan based project is started by taking guidance from the orignal story / writer.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #23
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hj2004
Is it possible if some other company buy the rights from orignal dead company or a fan based project is started by taking guidance from the orignal story / writer.
It's possible, but so far Vivendi hasn't been receptive to letting go of the rights.

There are many fan projects like what you describe. There are rather large fan-made King's Quest and Quest for Glory sequels being made right now. I don't think anyone has tried a GK fan game, and I'm not sure how receptive the fans would be. Jane Jensen's style as a storyteller (at least in games) is pretty unique... I'm not sure how well it would be replicated. I *don't* think people would be happy about a commercial GK4 if Jane Jensen wasn't involved.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:03 AM   #24
Kate's lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
It's possible, but so far Vivendi hasn't been receptive to letting go of the rights.

There are many fan projects like what you describe. There are rather large fan-made King's Quest and Quest for Glory sequels being made right now. I don't think anyone has tried a GK fan game, and I'm not sure how receptive the fans would be. Jane Jensen's style as a storyteller (at least in games) is pretty unique... I'm not sure how well it would be replicated. I *don't* think people would be happy about a commercial GK4 if Jane Jensen wasn't involved.
Well if they involve jane or get the story from her and make it in "Runaway" style without the 3d and release it in europe in the start it won't be a low profit deal. and afterwards they can release in other regions as the word spreads and so will the bank balance of that lucky company.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #25
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Well if they involve jane or get the story from her and make it in "Runaway" style without the 3d and release it in europe in the start it won't be a low profit deal. and afterwards they can release in other regions as the word spreads and so will the bank balance of that lucky company.
Much easier said than done.

Even if Vivendi would be willing to give up the rights, they would want *a lot* of money for them. Jane Jensen may not want to be involved. Etc.

I've accepted that we're never going to see another Gabriel Knight.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #26
Kate's lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Much easier said than done.

Even if Vivendi would be willing to give up the rights, they would want *a lot* of money for them. Jane Jensen may not want to be involved. Etc.

I've accepted that we're never going to see another Gabriel Knight.
Wat i don't understand is what good will they get from keeping the new game rights in the drawer if they don't want to make any GK4 they better give it to some other company at discount rates or allow fan project to go through with it. otherwise i am sending that kamasutra villan after them he might talk them into it.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #27
merely human

They have their reasons, however unreasonable they may be. But it typically involves $$$ one way or another.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-13-2005, 10:24 AM   #28
fov
Rattenmonster

Look at what they did to Leisure Suit Larry. Five years ago someone could have said the same thing about those rights. Vivendi held on to them (as I'm sure they plan to hold onto all the old Sierra franchises), brought out a new game with the LSL name that was nothing like the Larry games we knew and loved, and made money off a franchise that everyone assumed was long dead. They're never going to give something away if it has the potential to sell a product for them down the road.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:56 AM   #29
fire breathing

yeah, if there's a GK4, it needs to have Jane Jensen. It's her baby.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:52 AM   #30

Let's not forget the possibility it might be released as a book, which is ok...but still I really need to play another GK game. NEED TO. I've recently started playing GK 1 again, and I really miss games like GK. I'm still not giving up hope that somehow sometime there will be another GK. Hopefully as a game.

What the hell happened to project J-J? Is it dead? Is there no hope in this cruel world?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:12 AM   #31

Thanks to *stupid* US laws on copyright, Vivendi can save the rights on the GK series for a *very* long time. They will probably wait until adventure game genre will rise again at the top of pc market. If that will ever happen again, that is.

The other way around, using the GK franchise for an action game, I don't even want to think about it.

grayscavenger, ProjectJJ has also been "put on hold until the timing is right to publish an AG".
Does that remind of Sam&Max, anyone?

If authors like Jane Jensen stick to casual online games, and others like Tim Schafer convert to platform games, who the heck is going to help the AG genre?

Last edited by Hendroz; 04-14-2005 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:20 AM   #32

Ok, this is a farfetched idea, but whatever.
I'm thinking that if they somehow made a great movie of GK, then it could lead the way for a GK game. People buy the most retarded games based on movies (Enter the Matrix! um...and all those horrific Pixar cartoon based games) so even a "failing genre" like adventure games can succeed.

If so many people bought Dan Brown's books, I'm wondering, there must be a market for smart adventure games since his books really reminded me of Jane Jensen's GK series. Maybe with the right marketing it's possible to revive the adventure genre.

Well I'm still hoping one day the series gets revived, so I don't have to play GK 1 , 2 and 3 again and again.

Once again, all this is very far fetched.

Oh yea, that GK XP patch saved my life! I panicked when GK 1 didn't work on my new computer, but thanks to you, I can now play GK 1 again.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:27 AM   #33
Kate's lover

Default Making a GK series movie is a very good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayscavenger
Ok, this is a farfetched idea, but whatever.
I'm thinking that if they somehow made a great movie of GK, then it could lead the way for a GK game. People buy the most retarded games based on movies (Enter the Matrix! um...and all those horrific Pixar cartoon based games) so even a "failing genre" like adventure games can succeed.
Wow.
Grayscavenger that's a really cool and workable idea and i think if those fools think about it and get it done properly into a good movie or series of movies it can do really good business on the charts and in the end we can get the reward in the shape of a new game. Like tomb raider series...
Old 04-17-2005, 07:39 AM   #34
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Wow.
Grayscavenger that's a really cool and workable idea and i think if those fools think about it and get it done properly into a good movie or series of movies it can do really good business on the charts and in the end we can get the reward in the shape of a new game. Like tomb raider series...
And look what happened with the new game... I'm a big TR fan (and not just because of Lara ) and bought TR6. Man that game sucked big time! The controls were crap, the gameplay etc etc. The movie didn't do well either. And all was blamed on the negative reactions to the TR game. The movie sucked because of the bad game. The game sucked because of the bad movie. Result: There will never be another TR movie or game. Last news about a new game was 1.5 years ago. Crystal Dynamics was working on the game. Has anybody heard any new developments? Nope!

We are in luck though. Hollywood is converting almost every game ever made into a movie. Too bad not one movie resembles the atmosphere or look of the original game.

Anybody seen House of the Dead or Alone in the Dark?

Enough said!
Old 04-17-2005, 07:45 AM   #35
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske
There will never be another TR movie or game. Last news about a new game was 1.5 years ago. Crystal Dynamics was working on the game. Has anybody heard any new developments? Nope!
Hmmm me and my big mouth! Shows what I know huh? I just found the screenshots of the new TR game... Man that happens when you're all work and no play...

Anyway, the rest I stand by
Old 08-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #36
Bliss Of Sudden Loss

I hope there will be next GK- game. Just waited for too long. Is there any news etc?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:19 AM   #37

You do realize there will be heart attacks just by seeing this thread at the top?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #38
Failed Birthday Elf

What?...I...I...

Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #39
kamikaze hummingbirds

Remember 2005!? They didn't even have high-definition TVs back then!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #40

Ignoring the heart attacks , welcome to the forums !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thren View Post
I hope there will be next GK- game. Just waited for too long. Is there any news etc?
Nah, still waiting, and waiting, and waiting...and signing petitions... I'll probably have kids and maybe even grandkids by then....

Have you played Jane's Grey Matter yet? I plan to, hopefully in the next weeks...