You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Just finished Gabriel Knight 1...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #1

Default Just finished Gabriel Knight 1...

Played through GK2 and have now just finished GK1..GK2 was near perfect, loved it, the atmosphere, the story, the just about right puzzle difficulty, characters...this one wasn't bad either. It was kinda slow in the beginning but wow it really picked up towards the end, I loved the whole final third. I don't see the point of that jamaican narrator though, she was incredibly annoying. And Tim Currys voice work was pretty awful but I guess had some charm. But the puzzles were kinda hard...I got stuck a few times.

The Clock puzzle...yeah this makes sense...

The grave writing/tracking device..I still don't understand that even after reading a walkthrough. Seems impossible to me, congrats to anyone who did that on their own.

The drum code..the hell?? I don't understand that either.

The bit near the end in that maze place where you have to put the pieces in the correct room..how the hell are you supposed to know which room is which? Yeah this game had some really annoying puzzles (admittedly I didn't spend a huge amount of time trying to figure them out before getting frustrated).

A few pixel hunts..I didn't pick up the scale in the grass early on at the crime scene and was stuck not knowing what the hell I was supposed to do for ages. the ashtray was very hard to spot, the clay at the crime scene, as was the secret loction in the confession booth...

So yeah ....great game though, really got better the further along you got, but I prefer GK2.

oh yeah, was there anything to do with the guy and his girl in the Napolean Inn place? I don't remember them being needed for anything..
Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoymous Broccoli View Post
The grave writing/tracking device..I still don't understand that even after reading a walkthrough. Seems impossible to me, congrats to anyone who did that on their own.
the first message is translated for you by Magenta Moonbeam, you then use the letters from that to translate the second message and it's easy enough to figure out the rest of the message. both those combined gives you enough letters translated to be able to write your own message. it's rather obvious who DJ is (only one character in the game has the initials and he's also the second most suspicious character in the game) so it just comes down to finding something in the museum you can hide the tracker in and then getting the proper name of it (from the recorded lecture) and leaving your own message to bring that item. rather simple to make the message since for the most part you just copy the first message but change a few words

Quote:
The drum code..the hell?? I don't understand that either.
there's sense to that too, but it is a lot of hassle. that one I just used a walk-through for

Quote:
The bit near the end in that maze place where you have to put the pieces in the correct room..how the hell are you supposed to know which room is which?
some tiles can't be removed, you can use those to figure out that they're numbered in order and in which direction, then place the rest of the tiles accordingly. a little tedious, especially since there's so many rooms, but much less frustrating than the following puzzle which is pretty much trial and error for clicking in the right place quickly enough

Quote:
A few pixel hunts..I didn't pick up the scale in the grass early on at the crime scene and was stuck not knowing what the hell I was supposed to do for ages. the ashtray was very hard to spot, the clay at the crime scene, as was the secret loction in the confession booth...
unfortunately very common in older adventures, especially those whose graphics don't translate too well into higher resolutions, but even in their intended resolutions there's often a degree of frustrating pixel hunting

Quote:
So yeah ....great game though, really got better the further along you got, but I prefer GK2.
I actually preferred the first one myself, but the line between them is rather thin. I liked the third best of all, if you haven't tried it yet then I'd strongly recomend it. sadly there won't be a fourth due to licensing issues but Jane Jensen also released Grey Matter recently, which while not quite Gabriel Knight is still an enjoyable game

Quote:
oh yeah, was there anything to do with the guy and his girl in the Napolean Inn place? I don't remember them being needed for anything..
I don't remember, but they were probably just there for a little background or as red herrings. I don't recall there being any multiple solutions to puzzles so if you didn't need them they probably had no use. it has been a while since I played it though
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 07-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
I don't see the point of that jamaican narrator though, she was incredibly annoying. And Tim Currys voice work was pretty awful but I guess had some charm.
The narrator was not Jamaican, but Creole. This is a common complaint from non-Americans who don't realize that New Orleans/Louisiana has several distinct dialects. Likewise, don't expect someone raised in New Orleans to have a Midwestern accent.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #4

I remember also getting stuck at the voodoo code ! Ah, good old days!
With the narrator I got used very quick, and didn't bothered me.

"how the hell are you supposed to know which room is which?"

By the position of the vines, torches, shapes and shadows, a good memory and a ton of patience! Besides, it wasn't that hard! I almost pulled my hair out (well, figuratively speaking) in some other annoying caves in other adv. games.

I do have fond memories of the GK series, especially GK1, it pulls you in very quickly( and I'm very addicted when it comes to good old 2d games), but I also enjoyed GK2 as it was my first FMV . I didn't like the third one very much, but it is worth playing and I guess if you did play the first two, you might as well complete the series.

I still hope they'll make a 4th one because too much was left to be said, and we didn't get a proper ending. I haven't bought Jane Jensen's Gray Matter yet, but I plan too.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
the first message is translated for you by Magenta Moonbeam, you then use the letters from that to translate the second message and it's easy enough to figure out the rest of the message. both those combined gives you enough letters translated to be able to write your own message. it's rather obvious who DJ is (only one character in the game has the initials and he's also the second most suspicious character in the game) so it just comes down to finding something in the museum you can hide the tracker in and then getting the proper name of it (from the recorded lecture) and leaving your own message to bring that item. rather simple to make the message since for the most part you just copy the first message but change a few words
yeah I had them translated and combined but even after that I still couldn't figure it out. oh well.

Quote:
some tiles can't be removed, you can use those to figure out that they're numbered in order and in which direction, then place the rest of the tiles accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate me View Post
"how the hell are you supposed to know which room is which?"

By the position of the vines, torches, shapes and shadows, a good memory and a ton of patience! Besides, it wasn't that hard! I almost pulled my hair out (well, figuratively speaking) in some other annoying caves in other adv. games.
yeah I'm an idiot, should have realised the numbering.

Quote:
I actually preferred the first one myself, but the line between them is rather thin. I liked the third best of all, if you haven't tried it yet then I'd strongly recomend it. sadly there won't be a fourth due to licensing issues but Jane Jensen also released Grey Matter recently, which while not quite Gabriel Knight is still an enjoyable game
I haven't played the third, can't say I like the graphics of it and it does look a bit..dull..but I will be playing it next. Apparently though there are alot of similiar puzzles to the ones I was stuck on in GK1 which I aint looking forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
The narrator was not Jamaican, but Creole. This is a common complaint from non-Americans who don't realize that New Orleans/Louisiana has several distinct dialects. Likewise, don't expect someone raised in New Orleans to have a Midwestern accent.
Well either way I found her annoying.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #6

Congrats on finishing GK1 and GK2 - now you need to play GK3.

The experience of playing all these games is one of my dearest, especially GK1. Being 13 or so and playing that game at night in the dark was amazing. The story, the atmosphere, the characters...I could go on. Probably most adventure gamers feel the same way...

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
She Wants Revenge

Tim Curry is <3. First time I played I turned the narrator voice off, later playthroughs I didn't really find it annoying anymore. I think I've just grown to like all kinds of different dialects now, when I was a kid I only liked the NY american accent. The zombies were the most horrible part and there I used a walkthru, and yes of course in some other points too, I was like 10.

I am thinking about replaying the trilogy but I've played the first game so many times I wonder if I really can be that interested in all the dialogue anymore, all the events I recall pretty well. And the graphics are quite outdated now too, even though they were very beautiful at the time. But I might still play this just to play all three in order. I'd love a GoG sale though, I have all the games but it's a hassle to go through all the cd's - if they even work in Win7.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #8

Funnily enough, I've just completed GK 1+2 for the first time myself.

It's made me realise how much I hate the Sierra scoring system. It made me worry that I was missing something, so I could never fully allow myself to become completely absorbed by the story - it simply reminded me I was playing a game and needed to click on everything on the off chance it would net me an extra point.

I was expecting great things and I'd say I enjoyed the first two thirds (of both games, actually) the most - they really draw you in.

Unfortunately, I was frustrated by the fact that, throughout the in-game research I learned and solved story details, but never really got a chance to prove what I knew. The game bowled along, telling me stuff that - through their own well written development - I'd already deduced.

Also, the ending sequences for both games were tiresome and I felt the plot became messier and less satisfying as the games progressed.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #9

Quote:
I haven't played the third, can't say I like the graphics of it and it does look a bit..dull..but I will be playing it next. Apparently though there are alot of similiar puzzles to the ones I was stuck on in GK1 which I aint looking forward to.
IMO graphically it´s the least appealing, it takes some time to get going and you WILL use a walkthrough, at least once Interface is interesting but you have to be patient with it, it´s pretty unique.

Tim Curry voices Gabriel again and most people say he´s worse than in "Sins".
I can´t tell, I ´ve played the German version.

But, as the game progresses the story & puzzles get better and better.
By the end I loved it.

As for the GK1 puzzles:

needed to consult a walkthrough for

.) clock puzzle
.) DJ bring ...
.) drum code

still don´t get the clock puzzle

And though I liked the narrator I soon turned it off because I got impatient ...
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #10

Yea, I agree with the last poster that the endings of the first two games are sloppy, so I disagree with OP on that.

I replayed the game last year, for the first time in about 15 years. Some of it I remembered - I can't imagine ever figuring out the clock thing without having read the InterAction hint article so many times 15 years ago. Hard to say about the tomb message...I had my ancient memories of it for this playthrough so it was easy.

The puzzles with the drum and the circles were fine, I remembered none of that but still figured them out. The only time I had to look up a hint was when you're

Spoiler:
running from the zombies in the circle - I thought it might have been a timer bug, but it turns out I had to swing on the vine.

The narrator and GK annoyed me at first, but after a bit I loved them. I absolutely adore the narrator. The voice actors in general are terrific, so much flair and personality. It's why you need true professionals, preferably seasoned movie/TV veterans, doing these things. I generally get very annoyed sitting through dialogue, because game writers are usually poor and game actors are poorer. In this case, listening to these guys and girls was delightful, which is pretty rare for me in games. GTA3, Vice City, and GK1 would be my top 3 in that regard.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #11

You can turn off the narrator's voice in the game from the options menu. I always do that when I play, as I find her accent disturbing and slow. But, GK1 is such a great game, in fact, after playing it now for probably 30 times I find it more fun that GK2.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
still don´t get the clock puzzle
The clock puzzle I only understood after reading the walkthrough. It does sort of make sense-ish, but I still think the game could have made it more clear.

The idea is that
Spoiler:
the clock belongs to a member of Gabriel's family, and in that family the number 3 is of significance (for example the Drei Drachen poem by Gabe's...granddad if I recall that correctly, and I think the painting (of his father I believe) also has 3 snakes on it). Then for the dragons, these are also of importance in the family. Think of the Drei Drachen poem (Drei Drachen meaning 3 dragons). Also, when looking up some book on either dragons or snakes (it's been a while, I'm not really sure on this), Grace will say something about dragons and snakes being related, hence the snakes in the painting could also refer to dragons. In short, two elements are seen in the family art: dragons and the number 3. Which is the answer to the clock puzzle.

I do agree, it is definately not clear, and it's only after reading the hints that I got it, but at least somewhere it makes sense.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
Congrats on finishing GK1 and GK2 - now you need to play GK3.

The experience of playing all these games is one of my dearest, especially GK1. Being 13 or so and playing that game at night in the dark was amazing. The story, the atmosphere, the characters...I could go on. Probably most adventure gamers feel the same way...
Why recommend it? He just dissed Tim Curry! lol

Seriously though, Tim Curry was my favorite part of the game. He made Gabriel so sexy and badass. If it wasn't for him, we'd get a crappy generic voice actor.

Anyways, the Creole narrator definitely was annoying. In the Book, there is no narrator but the thoughts going through Gabriel's head. I actually liked this over the narrator and wished it was used. It was interesting to hear from gabriel's mind and understand his thought process and his internal strife. I loved the book a lot more than the game, but the game itself is still my favorite game in the series.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #14

I wonder why they went with that narrator anyway instead of just having his thoughts like every other game..guess it would have gone over budget but it could have just been text, didn't have to be his voice. Maybe that woman did it for free I kept it on but pretty much just clicked through it.

I really liked the final third of GK1 (some of the cut scenes were awesome) and the ending as well, I don't see much wrong with it. I liked all of GK2 but the actual ending (moreso the ending cinematic) was kind of weak..
Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #15

the graphics of the third game are definitely not impressive, like most of the early 3D games, but the story and the gameplay more than make up for it in my opinion. the UI is also unique and one of the best I've ever played, sadly it doesn't appear to have been attempted in any other game though
some of the puzzles are rather difficult, but they all make sense, although one particular puzzle (passport photo) does push the very borders, but only that one as far as I remember
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 07-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
I wonder why they went with that narrator anyway instead of just having his thoughts like every other game..guess it would have gone over budget but it could have just been text, didn't have to be his voice. Maybe that woman did it for free I kept it on but pretty much just clicked through it.

I really liked the final third of GK1 (some of the cut scenes were awesome) and the ending as well, I don't see much wrong with it. I liked all of GK2 but the actual ending (moreso the ending cinematic) was kind of weak..
Honestly the difference between no voice and voice for internal thoughts is the difference between a professional game and a traditional fan game. I much prefer a voice since it makes the experience more cinematic especially since when we think in our minds, we still hear our own voice. Else it just becomes more reading than needed.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #17

You guys are nuts - the narrator is one of the best voice performances in any adventure game (not exaggerating). It's one of the only games where I didn't mind clicking on everything to hear the narrator speak. She adds such flavor and flair to the game.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #18

Well i'm not denying that the narrator was quite entertaining and informal at times.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
You guys are nuts - the narrator is one of the best voice performances in any adventure game (not exaggerating). It's one of the only games where I didn't mind clicking on everything to hear the narrator speak. She adds such flavor and flair to the game.
It has flavour, that's perhaps why so many people dislike it. Like I said I found it really annoying on my first play but at the time I was 10 and any accent outside of regular Hollywood movies was weird and horrible. On later playthroughs I didn't find it annoying anymore, not sure if I thought to be excellent either, it's been years since my last play. Will definitely pay attention to it next time.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:52 PM   #20
Schattenjaeger wannabe

This is my favorite game ever. But yeah, the first thing I've done in every single playthrough is turn the narrator off. The main problem is it's just WAY too slow, and I love to look and interact with EVERYTHING in this game, because you rarely get any generic comments, and the writing is superb.

The voodoo code actually came very naturally to me. When I first played this though, around when it came out when I was 14, the part that got me stuck was swinging on the vines to get past the mummies.

I've played this game around 5 times, and I still get hung up on forgetting to get the clay and the scale from the crime scene.