You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Specific recommendations needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #1

Default Specific recommendations needed

Hey guys, long time lurker and finally decided to get your take on something.

I've got kinda tired of being the fbi chick or the art student chick or the lawyer chick or the guy with the weird ancestors or so on and so on and so on...

What I loved most about the Myst series, 1 thur 4 and Uru was that you were you. It was you treading those paths, reading those journals, exploring those incredible worlds and solving those puzzles, not some predefined chick/dude, which is what gave them a far greater depth, immersion and greater sense of adventure.

So I'm desperately seeking recommendations for point and clicks, be they first person or third, though truth be told I prefer first person, where you do not play a predefined character.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Schattenjäger

Played games like Amnesia: the dark descent? Its horror, and the main character is technically pre-defined but you dont see them and their input is low.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Homo Ludens

Zork: Grand Inquisitor, of course, where you play as the AFGNCAAP (the Ageless, Faceless, Gender Neutral, Culturally Ambiguous Adventure Person). In this regard, Z:GI is following in the tradition of Infocom's text adventures

Also, TVTropes has a nice (but far from exhaustive) list of adventure games without pre-defined characters here.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
Zork: Grand Inquisitor, of course, where you play as the AFGNCAAP (the Ageless, Faceless, Gender Neutral, Culturally Ambiguous Adventure Person). In this regard, Z:GI is following in the tradition of Infocom's text adventures

Also, TVTropes has a nice (but far from exhaustive) list of adventure games without pre-defined characters here.
Yes but in Zork I'm not playing as me. I'm not an Ageless, Faceless, Gender Neutral Culturally Ambiguous Adventure Person that the game uses as its main character. I have an age, a face, and so on.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
Senior *female* member

There aren't many ancient text adventures where the player has a name, age, face. Plundered Hearts is one. But Zork...? Nooooo.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #6

Corrosion - Cold Winter Waiting fits your description (point and clicks, first person, you are you - meaning you have none added personality, treading those paths, reading those journals, exploring, solving those puzzles)
Although you have to like or accept it's a horror story.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #7

Thank of the suggestions guys, and thanks for the tip about tv tropes.
There's a few there to keep me going just a darn shame so few get developed these days. Eagerly awaiting Asylum and of course Bracken Tor.