You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure OMG! Charles Cecil comments on new Broken Sword game!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
J.H
Frak.

For me personally, the only way to totally reconcile with the Broken Sword series would be to create a 2D Broken Sword picking up where BS2 left off. Literally ignoring BS3 and 4 as for me the story alone just wasn't Broken Sword.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria-Fritsche View Post
I mean, don't people like modern and polished games, or what is it?
Uh no, people around here are more into "ancient" games. You chose the wrong forum my friend
Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #23

I was pretty shocked to see that comment (I don't think there's any need to point out which).

People here, in most cases, love/like those graphics, me personally I love them in many cases but I also love modern graphics in many cases. (Wasn't Heavy Rain beautiful people?)

Maybe you're not really aware that old looking games can have top tier stories, dialogue, music puzzles, etc.

Maybe you're very young and would feel weird about playing such old looking games.

Maybe you feel the games are so ugly that if you were to play one, your eyes would pop out of there sockets and, as if they had a mind of their own, find the nearest thing that they determine to be nice looking, dragging your body along with them if necessary, and stare at it for hours,

Maybe...

It's unfortunate anyways, as you will miss out on a lot of amazing games if that opinion doesn't change.

It's your opinion anyways and I'm fine with it, as long as you don't start insulting people because they have a different opinion than you, etc.

You did make ME feel really ancient however posting that, and I'm not, I'm still pretty young! lol

Anyways, jhet, I'm with you. I've been looking at GOG's page for weeks now.
Advertising tactic perhaps? Mmmm...

Last edited by Dan_Dan_91_07; 02-27-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #24

hahhahahaha......gog is good because of the distribution of old games.if it weren't for that i probably wouldn't make an account.also i just bought gemini rue yesterday and let me tell you it's one hell of a gem.the only regret i have with gemini is that i downloaded the demo and bought it yesterday when i had so much free time on saturday and was bored out of my mind.then again i might have not found out about the limited edition which was only sold yesterday but anyways....you got to see it.cyberpunk story with a little noir in it.beautiful!!(dejavu on the advertising?!?!?!)
Old 02-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #25

and gray we're not more into ancient games it's that modern games aren't up to the standard's yet.......i watched a video the other day with many designers/writers that include Jane Jensen Charles Cecil Corey May and a few more and Cecil said that at one point when PS1 came out the publishers where obsessed with 3D and sort of made everyone do that too.with BS2 that got in the way cause publishers didn't want to publish it.so then BS3 and BS4 were done in 3D so that they could also take part in the console market.but the whole video is about how modern games don't really have good stories because visual parts get in the way.not that there aren't games that accomplish both but not that many and not so complete.

here's a link:
How-far-are-devs-from-narrative-mastery
Old 02-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #26
Schättenjager

I think BS5 have cell shaded graphics,ordinary 3d look quite monotonous.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #27

i doubt that it's gonna be in 3D though...no matter cell shading or not.many people that have ties with Revolution have said that they want a 2D BS5.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield21 View Post
and gray we're not more into ancient games it's that modern games aren't up to the standard's yet.......i watched a video the other day with many designers/writers that include Jane Jensen Charles Cecil Corey May and a few more and Cecil said that at one point when PS1 came out the publishers where obsessed with 3D and sort of made everyone do that too.with BS2 that got in the way cause publishers didn't want to publish it.so then BS3 and BS4 were done in 3D so that they could also take part in the console market.but the whole video is about how modern games don't really have good stories because visual parts get in the way.not that there aren't games that accomplish both but not that many and not so complete.

here's a link:
How-far-are-devs-from-narrative-mastery
Uh, look I was kidding, sorry. I just thought the original remark was so strange it didn't really need a serious answer. Never intended to actually make a serious contribution or insult anyone for that matter.
Anyways: lots of thanks for the link, love it
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #29

hey its not like you hit a spot or anything.i just wanted to make it clear.i dont want to be tagged as a retro lover when i havent even played enough oldies.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #30
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Well, time to get playing BS4.. On youtube. Because of the actual lag.

I still can't believe that Revolution didn't develop this.. It doesn't feel like any Broken Sword game at all, and a lot of bugs! I would play it, if it didn't freeze all the time..

But I'm really looking forward to BS5. Looks promising!

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games

Last edited by jannar85; 03-02-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #31

Rolf Saxon interview:

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.ph...th-rolf-saxon/

Broken Sword 5 info:

TGL: Revolution Studios created a certain bond between George and Nico that seemed to transend their troubles, arguements and even the subsequent break-up. What are your views on their unique relationship?

RS: I think they were very young when they first got together and I think they were made for each other. They compliment each other well – for the most part. I can’t wait for the next installment!

TGL: Is there a certain game/franchise/studio you’d like to work on/with?

RS: There are so many these days – and great ones. I suppose I look at it more like what kind of a job would like to do. I would really like to play a bad guy. I have also just recently met with Alexander Schottky, the German George. We are going to try and swing for him to do a small part in the English version and for me to do a small part in the German version of the upcoming number 5. That would be very cool.

Hyped! Hyped! Hyped!

I take it Saxon can speak German then?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #32
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Dan_91_07 View Post
I take it Saxon can speak German then?
I doubt he would have to know German to learn how to properly pronounce and act out a few lines for what amounts to a cameo. The point is to have his distinct voice in the mix, which I think is a great idea, especially since these two voice actors are minor legends in their fields.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #33

At the time, I was thinking it would be too hard for him to be able to sound okay, if he hadn't had much experience in speaking German.

I suppose you're probably right though.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #34
It's Hard To Be Humble

Or I could be completely wrong. I mean, it's not inconceivable that the guy speaks perfectly decent German, and likewise his counterpart speaking English (in fact, one assumes, perhaps wrongly, that at least one of them would have to speak the other's language, to have made this agreement). We know lots of people on these forums who do just that, and most of them aren't even professional voice actors.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #35

I have just emailed GOG asking for the latest on the interview. The closing date for questions was the 11th February, it's taking a long, long time.

Is this sort of wait pretty normal though?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #36
Replicant

I hope they go back to the BS1 style, I mean Gray Matter had a very pleasing interface that any adventure gamer can relate to. On the other hand, I literally got a headache from BS4 with the awful control/camera situation. BS3 didn't quite bother me as much as BS4 (despite the point 'n' click in BS4 which I found tedious anyway), but unless they get a great engine for the 3D style (Dreamfall worked OK, combat aside), I want a return to the original style that helped make people fall in love with the franchise!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #37

I have the same order as you:

BS 1 > BS 3 > BS 4

I didn't like Broken Sword 3's control interface but the fourth game's was seriously messed up.

The dialogue interface though, now that's something else that needs to be returned from the first game, you know, being able to talk to everybody about every single item you're carrying. LOL There were so many great moments with this system.

Last edited by Dan_Dan_91_07; 03-23-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #38

[QUOTE=Dan_Dan_91_07;575418]Rolf Saxon interview:

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.ph...th-rolf-saxon/

This is awesome. Great interview. Rolf looks nothing what I expected.. ha
I agree with most people here... If BS5 leans more towards the original BS1 and 2
I will be happy... and bring back the charm of those hand drawn 2D Backgrounds.
Also does anyone know who he played in Saving Private Ryan? (or have I got things muddled up)

Ahhh its cool I just looked it up...
He played "Lt. Briggs" in the film. cool

Last edited by Weare6; 03-23-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #39

One other thing that needs to be in Broken Sword 5 - A decent voice actor for Nico, unlike the mess of a voice that was given to her for the fourth game. I mean, I suppose the voice on it's own wasn't too bad but it didn't fit the character at all and it sounded SO different from the Nicos in the other games!

"He's the small boy that you have to give the ball to in order to retrieve the toilet brush from the kebab seller."

stepurhan -

"Only in an adventure gaming forum would you see a sentence like this. "
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #40

Well GOG didn't email me back

but they did, finally, release the Q&A

http://www.gog.com/en/news/qanda_wit...n_software_and

No new news on BS5 however, which is disappointing!

"He's the small boy that you have to give the ball to in order to retrieve the toilet brush from the kebab seller."

stepurhan -

"Only in an adventure gaming forum would you see a sentence like this. "