You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure OMG! Charles Cecil comments on new Broken Sword game!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

Default OMG! Charles Cecil comments on new Broken Sword game!

Question:

http://twitter.com/russ026/status/37662383086243840

Response:

http://twitter.com/CharlesCecil/stat...60612701908993

Question:

http://twitter.com/russ026/status/38287207215284225

Response:

http://twitter.com/CharlesCecil/stat...58267264630784

For those who don't want to use the links:

russ026 @CharlesCecil
any chance of a new broken sword game!?

CharlesCecil @russ026
Absolutely , yes - something that we plan to launch into soon.

russ026 @CharlesCecil
great! Same voice cast?

CharlesCecil @russ026
Rolf Saxon now lives in San Francisco - but even still, same voice cast...

These bits of information, about this new Broken Sword game, are getting me so excited yet inpatient it hurts.

I NEED MORE DETAILS - NOW!

Edit:

I'm still wainting for his responses to GOG's questions as well. See here for details -
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/...es_cecil/page1

Other Details about Broken Sword 5/New Broken Sword game that continues the series:

http://www.revolution.co.uk/_forum.p...&open=1&page=1
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Vario...ws.asp?c=25881

I think it's possible that it won't be Broken Sword 5, it could very well be Broken Sword 3: Remastered or something, which would be a MASSIVE disappointment. I think it's more likely it is Broken Sword 5 however!!

Broken Sword 5, in 2D and the same voice cast - WOW!

Last edited by Dan_Dan_91_07; 02-21-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #2

I'd rather see something new. The genre needs to get out of the past.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #3

Why? Call of Duty is the most popular FPS and it's a 7 year old franchise, GTA was originally released in 1997., some of the most anticipated RPG is new Diablo game...

There's nothing wrong in it if the new installments are good games and not just milking the franchise.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #4

I want nothing more than another George Stobbart outing and it just wouldn't be the same without Rolf Saxon
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

there's nothing wrong with sequels so long as they're good sequels
brand new projects are great too though of course, and I'm pretty sure they have some ideas for them too

but the most important thing is they should make Beneath A Steel Sky 2!
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #6

dan dan i don't think that the "today" you saw was referring to the new BS game that we've been waiting for....reading some posts behind it seems to refer to a universal app for iPad or sth.

"actually next game will be a universal app, so iPad and iPhone version are one and the same - so same price and same release date. Game Center support for replay, as you suggest.

btw, check out the App Store iPad game of the week"

also the question russ asked was answered a little after the answer you gave us.....
@russ026 Absolutely , yes - something that we plan to launch into soon. 12:59 AM Feb 17th via TweetDeck in reply to russ026
Old 02-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
There's nothing wrong in it if the new installments are good games and not just milking the franchise.
Ditto.

cbman - If you check out the Pocket Game link, you'll see that they are working on two other games, these are original, and one of them is an adventure whilst the other isn't.

Quote:
I want nothing more than another George Stobbart outing and it just wouldn't be the same without Rolf Saxon
If he wasn't voicing George, it really would mess things up.

Quote:
but the most important thing is they should make Beneath A Steel Sky 2!
I would literally explode with grief if they chose to make that over Broken Sword 5, I even like B.A.S.S as well. However, I LOVE Broken Sword, the dialogues' scripts, the visuals (In 1 & 2 particularly), Rolf Saxon, the stories, many of the puzzles, the music etc, and I NEED me some more!

Last edited by Dan_Dan_91_07; 02-21-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #8

hahaah another BS junkie ......i know what you mean,it's been a while since the last BS installment and we need sth fresh,not counting the remasters.at least when 3 and 4 got out we had sth new to see even totally different from what we wanted to see but now nothing.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #9

Bloody hell, what is up with me lately.

Thanks jhet for telling me. I didn't notice there was another answer/question.

I didn't realise that the post was a reply to someone talking about the iPhone/Ipad version of Broken Sword 2 as well.

Last edited by Dan_Dan_91_07; 02-21-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #10

Hell, BS3 wasn't horrible, and I even liked BS4 a little more than its predecessor. Yes, something on par with BS1 or 2 would be phenomenal, but even if it only matched the latter two -- the lesser games of the series -- I'd still welcome it with open arms and dedicate a good weekend to playing it, so long as I could be reunited with George, Nico and perhaps Lobineau (bastard that he is, but still). Of course, it would suck of good ol' Rolf wasn't involved...
Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #11

i have forgotten BS4 a little bit but wasn't Nico dead in the storyline of BS4?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield21 View Post
i have forgotten BS4 a little bit but wasn't Nico dead in the storyline of BS4?
Not that I can remember. You bump into her and she helps you with your mission. There's even an area in which Nico is the playable character.

To be honest, the plot in BS4 is largely forgettable, which is a shame as it had so much potential -- George down in the dumps, a new love interest, salami-loving gangsters, the Vatican...but the whole thing was an anticlimax, with one of the worst ending sequences I've ever witnessed in a video game.

BS3 was a more complete, satisfying game, with a relatively epic ending.

An interesting thing with the BS franchise is that unlike Syberia or The Longest Journey, the games don't really follow on from each other or connect to create an overarching narrative, despite having the same main character(s) and some recurring supporting characters. Each game is more of a separate crusade in the wacky life of George and Nico, which is great in the sense that these characters could literally go on forever provided their adventures are interesting enough. The downside is that it's easy to retread ground, like we've started to see in the series already with the different brands of Neo-Templars trying to bring fourth an ancient evil. See, once you've done the whole "saving the world from a secret cult" thing, where do you go next? You can't exactly make an adventure about George's day-to-day life. It's got to be something grand scale.

Argh, didn't mean to type so much. The ramblings of a madman.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #13

they do have some logical progression........if you see what kind of characters are reappearing and what are their relationships you can see that the chronological order in which they(the game stories) take place is the order of release.it's like standalone plots in the life of George Nico and the others.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
To be honest, the plot in BS4 is largely forgettable, which is a shame as it had so much potential -- George down in the dumps, a new love interest, salami-loving gangsters, the Vatican...but the whole thing was an anticlimax, with one of the worst ending sequences I've ever witnessed in a video game.

BS3 was a more complete, satisfying game, with a relatively epic ending.
Hear hear!

Also 1 and 3 do connect on some level. It's not really like you have to play 1 to play 3 but there is some referencing back and of course a few major characters from 1 also playing an important part in 3.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Dan_91_07 View Post
Ditto.

cbman - If you check out the Pocket Game link, you'll see that they are working on two other games, these are original, and one of them is an adventure whilst the other isn't.
Much mor einteresting!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #16

jhetfield21 :
"i have forgotten BS4 a little bit but wasn't Nico dead in the storyline of BS4?"

George thought she was dead! He heard some gunshots on the phone(I think), thinks Nico is dead and after he got drunk! (that was funny!)

Anyway, I enjoyed very much the first 3 BS games, but disliked the forth.
I couldn't stand Anna Maria! and it didn't quite fell like Broken Sword...

But despite that, I would like a BS 5 someday!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #17

I agree with Kate Me, the 3rd one was very good, but because of the criticism it got for all the box puzzles (which were not bad at all, especially compared to the mini games in the 4th) I guess they decided to change everything for the 4th. It just didn't feel like a proper BS game to me. I'm pretty sure that game killed the franchise the way Simon4 should have (if there was any justice in the world).

And am I the only one who thought that George and Nico breaking up before every game was getting real old, also I'd like to give an AGS award for worst, most rushed ending ever! Yes even worse than City of Lost Children's ending. God it feels good to hate on BS4, it was BS.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #18
It's Hard To Be Humble

I would like a new Broken Sword story. I don't care if it's 2D, 2.5D or 3D. I just want a great story that lives up to the promise of the franchise. Barring that, I'd rather Cecil created a new franchise. I really enjoy his work, and would love to play another adventure game properly under his control. But if a fresh and exciting take on George and Nico isn't possible, I'd rather they knocked the series on the head and called it a day.

Either that, or Charles Cecil should really sit down and watch the Road to... movies, to get an idea how a comedic adventure franchise can adapt and grow.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #19
Girly gamer

I don't really get why so many people hated the third and fourth one. I loved them both. I've never felt the urge to play BS1 and BS2, because I think the graphics look so cheap and ancient. I mean, don't people like modern and polished games, or what is it?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #20

it depends .....when did you start playing games?if you haven't played any of the old ones its reasonable that you can't see it.also in terms of story BS4 is the worst of them all so it doesn't really help it out.

and as far as the cheap and ancient comment goes i'm gonna let ancient slide since you obviously started playing recently or at least after 2003 and BS1 came out in '96 and BS2 in '97.but cheap?come on.do you know how much it costs to make a hand drawn game?even now it's more expensive than a lot of games in 3D out there.if it were cheap all those small studios out there would be swarming the market with hand drawn games.

anyway the old ones had great stories so they are the measure from which standards are made.of course we also want modern and polished games but if they don't measure up it's no good.

on another note:does anyone know what happened to that questionnaire gog.com was gonna do on Charles Cecil?the thread that gog.com hosted for submitting questions is closed for a while now but nothing has been posted about he answers.

Last edited by jhetfield21; 02-27-2011 at 06:20 AM.