You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #15: The Longest Journey

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #81

Unfortunately, I've had very little playtime this week so I've already fallen behind. Make sure you keep moving along though. We'll move forward again on February 8 but for now it's

Chapter 3: Friends and Enemies

02-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #82

You ain't the only one. I'm still on Chapter #2. Currently exploring Arcadia

02-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7h30n
You ain't the only one. I'm still on Chapter #2. Currently exploring Arcadia
Same here. Hope I can finish tonight (reality... tsss )

Nevertheless, a few first notes and thoughts from my side. I refer to duality again.
In the cinema Cortez is talking about new and old films and questions and answers (especially the second opposition makes it very obvious for me that one side always needs its contrary)

And in this chapter we have the
Spoiler:
first
trip to the other world.

In the video sequence, in which April enters Arcadia she seems to split up somehow. One “shadow” stays behind, the other one goes on… (or probably, we can just call this a special effect without any meaning…)

If I am not mistaken in this chapter the most important word of the game is mentioned for the first time - balance.

I like the reference to Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland in this chapter (because I like Alice in Wonderland very much). In my opinion a further interpretation would show many similarities between Alice’s and April’s adventures.

Regarding Christan IV’s post I would also like to add a short statement:
My interpretation of TLJ (and the real world) is not that rising complexity, new technology etc. are the main reasons for problems and "decay". It is more the loss of balance (in TLJ we see that dreams can interfere with reality or let’s consider the opposition of magic versus technique). Of course, technological progress can have an influence on the balance (easier communication facilities bring “disturbing” news faster into public and can cause faster reactions…), but not really CAUSE these problems.

So, in conclusion, I think that TLJ shows us that the main reason of interference is not the existence of something new, but the way we handle, act, react etc.

I am afraid I am digressing again…

02-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #84

Just finished 2nd chapter.

I love how the story unfolds and the main character is really well done, you can connect with April.

The overall phylosophy reminds a bit of older Star Wars titles.
Especially "...people aren't chosen. There are those who would and those who wouldn't do..."

As I put it: Faber suae quisque fortunae - Man makes his own fortune/luck/destiny

02-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #85

Still not done the second chapter (not sure how much is left, I need to figure out how to leave Arcadia now) ...

Thoughts so far:

Spoiler:
I’m enjoying seeing Arcadia for the first time. I was surprised to hear that the people know there are two worlds, though the people in Stark have all but forgotten over the generations. I wonder if anyone will believe April when she gets back. And while I’m enjoying the story and dialogue, I’m glad we finally got a real puzzle.

02-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #86
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I've finished Chapter 3, and await Chapter 4. I am definately very into the story line. Some puzzles seem quite easy, others I get stuck on and need help....

02-08-2011, 02:54 AM   #87

In chapter 3 there was a bit too much of pixel-hunting and running back and forth for my taste, but the story development is very impressive.

02-08-2011, 03:35 AM   #88

I'm still in
Spoiler:
Police Station trying to get to the archives
I guess I'm missing something

02-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #89

Have you already passed the door?

02-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #90

I finally had the time to continue but I'm not quite caught up. Let's keep moving along though. I'll be caught up soon. On to ...

Chapter 4: Monsters

02-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk
Have you already passed the door?
Yeah, I just don't know how to pass the retinal scanner.

Well, I usually need to sleep over it and it springs to my mind the next day (or if it's pixel hunting issue then a day of searchig every location should do the trick).

Dreams are really wierd!

When I was playing Culpa Innata I got stuck on the puzzle in the underground where you have to guess which combination of letters when pressed opens the entrance. Text was fairly large and there were many combinations and I had no clue. As I was dreaming I found the solution and in the morning it actually worked.

02-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #92

I was stuck at the same point and... (just a small hint, no real solution):

Spoiler:
for me it was a pixel-hunting issue. Check everything in the police station and don't forget there are some objects have smaller parts you can look at.

02-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #93

In addition to alcoatjez's hint I would like to add one, because this was my problem when I played the game for the first time:

Spoiler:
You should have taken a "friend" with you, who has already proven of use in the previous chapter

02-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #94

Thanks for your help, but yes it seems it is a pixel hunting issue because I've taken that friend already

02-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #95

Ah, okay. Then maybe it helps

Spoiler:
to examine the lockers carefully. And names can be helpful in a chat.

02-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #96

My biggest issue with the game is the way the long conversations play out. I'm enjoying the story and the dialogue, but I start to lose interest after 10 minutes of conversation while staring at the same screen.

Changing camera angles during long conversations would be an improvement, but not really feasible in a game like this with static backgrounds. They could have changed things up with the final conversation with Cortez at the end of chapter 2 as the two of them walk back to the subway. Mind you, they probably don't want anyone overhearing them. Oh well.

I chose to stay with Emma at the end. (I'm sure I'll see some of the consequences with Zack when I start chapter 3 tonight.) What happens if you go meet Zack?

02-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBull
I chose to stay with Emma at the end. (I'm sure I'll see some of the consequences with Zack when I start chapter 3 tonight.) What happens if you go meet Zack?
If I am not mistaken the consequences are the same. And there is no scene about what is going on during the meeting.

I don't mind the long conversations without a changing background. I take the chance to close my eyes and just listen.

02-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #98

Got through the archives.

Met Flipper, this guy is amazing. The more I play the more I like the game, especially cyberpunkish vibe!

Now, I need to get that AG unit

02-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #99
Stalker of Britain

hahaha I love Burns Flipper. The dialogue at his front door is priceless. I love that man. He's probably my 3rd favorite character, after
Spoiler:
#1 Crow, #2 Roper Klacks, and #4 Brian Westhouse.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes

02-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5
hahaha I love Burns Flipper.
Flipper is great. I recall, some people were shocked to hear that kind of language in a game, but I've always thought, c'mon, that's exactly the way this sort of character would speak.