You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which is the most hardware demanding adv game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
Coktel Vision Fan!

Default Which is the most hardware demanding adv game?

Just out of curiositiy, even though adventure games are traditionally non-hw demanding. which is the newest game that demand a high-end pc?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
Under pressure.

Sam and Max season 3 needs a decent video card if you want to enjoy it on the highest quality settings.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #3

Also the Penumbra games on high settings were hard to play without a good rig
Old 08-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #4

All of the above, plus Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. The game requires some pedigree to run.

Also, some really old games on new PCs are quite troublesome to run, or does that not count?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #5

From the view of the modern computers, I think that none of the adventure titles is particulary hardware demanding, though all of the recent games has certainly gone up a notch or two in that respect.

BTW, the two adventure titles which I remember from the past when I had an older computer, as the more hardware intensive then usual, were "Fahrenheit" and "Dreamfall".
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 08-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #6

Zork

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 08-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #7

The latest Sherlock Holmes: vs Jack The Ripper is full 3D with a beautiful recreation of London in 1888, including lots of peasants and carriages.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #8
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Sam and Max season 3 needs a decent video card if you want to enjoy it on the highest quality settings.
Decent, yes, but hardly high end. I had no problems running it on my MacBook. (It has a GeForce 9400M card. The GeForce 9 series debuted two years ago.)

It does look very pretty. (I liked their clothes in the Egypt episode.)

To the original poster: Why do you ask?

Are you considering buying a new computer, and don't play more demanding games than adventure games? Then you'll probably manage well for quite a while regardless of what you buy, as long as you avoid integrated graphics.

Or are you looking for something to to show off your powerful computer with? Then it becomes more a question of which games look impressive than which games have high system requirements. That's not always the same thing.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
BTW, the two adventure titles which I remember from the past when I had an older computer, as the more hardware intensive then usual, were "Fahrenheit" and "Dreamfall".
as they both emphasize good graphics and story, and i like to call them interactive movies rather then adventure games, which is not bad by default

Thinking of some unrealistic high requirements, both Monkey Island update games demand faster processors which is an irony since Telltale 3D games work well on those older ones.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
as they both emphasize good graphics and story, and i like to call them interactive movies rather then adventure games, which is not bad by default

Thinking of some unrealistic high requirements, both Monkey Island update games demand faster processors which is an irony since Telltale 3D games work well on those older ones.
Speaking of the special edition Monkey Island games, I am shocked by how much memory they take up. To have both games installed takes up 4 GBs! I could have the entire Lucarts collection of adventure games on my PC for that space and still have room left for two additional games!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
Decent, yes, but hardly high end. I had no problems running it on my MacBook. (It has a GeForce 9400M card. The GeForce 9 series debuted two years ago.)

It does look very pretty. (I liked their clothes in the Egypt episode.)
Yeah, I never played an adventure game with the same requirements as, say, Mass Effect 2 or something. (Which my 3 year old 8800GT runs flawlessly on highest settings! - I guess age doesn't say everything either.)
Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 AM   #12

I think the answer is obvious: a game which has that 360° revolving camera will require the most of your system. It's only natural: the entire game world has to stay dynamic and has to adjust itself to all your decisions, while most games have fixed camera angles on fixed settings and all that requires motion is the playable character and perhaps the NPC's (and if you're lucky to have developers with attention for detail also elements of a dynamic environment, like rippling water or flags moving in the wind). So yes, Dreamfall and Fahrenheit are examples of that, and apparently that Sherlock Holmes game as well (I have no experience with it myself).

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
The Quiet One

Broken Sword: The Angel of Death gets my vote. For an adventure game, I think it's ridiculously demanding. The graphics aren't even that impressive.

It ran terrible on my last computer, and although it does run better now on my current computer, it still lags from time-to-time. I think I get 30-35 FPS minimum.

I think Dreamfall is better graphically and that runs near perfect on my system.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #14

I'm having this issue with "Dreamfall" where program boxes from the task bar somtimes flash at the bottom of the screen, usually the anti-virus. It's the only game where this happens.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #15
Welsh Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Broken Sword: The Angel of Death gets my vote. For an adventure game, I think it's ridiculously demanding. The graphics aren't even that impressive.

It ran terrible on my last computer, and although it does run better now on my current computer, it still lags from time-to-time. I think I get 30-35 FPS minimum.

I think Dreamfall is better graphically and that runs near perfect on my system.
I have to agree about Broken Sword.

Here are the system requirements:

Pentium 4 1.4 GHz
256 MB RAM
2.6 GB available hard drive space,
2X DVD-ROM Drive,
128 MB Shader model 1.1 compatible video card
Windows XP

Apart from adventure games and Football Manager (that game is like heroin!) I don't really play games on my PC. So in 2006 when BS4 was released here in the UK it seemed like a lot and my on board graphics didn't have shader model compatibility so I had to buy a card.

The game itself was a disappointment and in terms of graphics looked pretty average for what it was demanding. Needless to say, it wasn't worth the upgrade!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #16

Lost: Via Domus will not play unless your video card can handle shaders 2. You just get a message to that effect and it shuts down!

I had to upgrade my rig just to play it (it was due for an overhaul anyway) and it wasn't even worth it. Never got the knack of taking those stupid pictures. Now I can play Crysis and Halo if I want to, but I don't want to
Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara100 View Post
Lost: Via Domus will not play unless your video card can handle shaders 2. You just get a message to that effect and it shuts down!
Oh yes, I've totally forgot about this one (with a good reason, I might add). Maybe the most overrated AG I've ever played. I've played that game only because I'm big fan of the series (or at least I was until the 4th season onwards).
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 08-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirYork View Post
I have to agree about Broken Sword.

Here are the system requirements:

Pentium 4 1.4 GHz
256 MB RAM
2.6 GB available hard drive space,
2X DVD-ROM Drive,
128 MB Shader model 1.1 compatible video card
Windows XP
!
i dont think you can call broken sword 4 demanding it played fine on my old now 7 year old off the shelf pc with a p4 and crummy radeon 9200se gfx card!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara100 View Post
Darkness Within 2 requires a video card that can handle Shader 3. So I'd say Darkness Within 2 is the most demanding.

Dreamfall and Uru ran smoothly on my computer, but BS4 had locations which were jerky. I'm not sure if that's due to BS4 being demanding so much as having bad coding in those locations though.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #20

Pixel Shader 3.0 was introduced in 2004. Every single video card on the market today (except the damn Intel GMA 950, currently the worst 3D solution you can buy) supports it. It's not a terribly steep requirement.