You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure CD Edition of Monkey Island 2?

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #1

CD Edition of Monkey Island 2?

Ok, I have the CD version of 1 with the 5 languages, and the full box 3.5 floppy disk version of 2. My question is: Is there a better version of 2? Say a CD rom edition with full soundtrack?

I know the "monkey island madness" cd came with both, but I have "heard" that the monkey island 2 on it was identical to the disc version while the monkey island 1 was identical to the english cd.

Seeing as how I own both of those, I figured I would get more info before blindly purchasing madness.

Is there a definitive monkey island 2 version?

02-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
The Ultimate Insult

I think I have the floppy disk version..
I so wish I had bought the multi pack of all four games on disk when it came out in possibly 2002?
(Didnt buy it because of already owning 3 & 4)
I was young. xD
I would buy it now, regardless of owning THREE of them. Just to play the first..

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed

02-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #3

What I am really talking about is Monkey Island 2 Le Chucks revenge. That 4 pack is awesome, but I already have 1,3,4 on CD. The only one I have on disk is 2, so I was curious whether the CD version of 2 was any different. If not, there is no reason to get it, I can just burn a copy from my disks.

02-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
One for the road?

As far as I know, there's only one PC version.

A planned Sega CD release was cancelled. Whether or not it would have included an enhanced soundtrack, I don't know.

Likewise the FM Towns version, which was also released on CD.

Apart from later CD-ROM reissues, the floppy version is the only PC release.

02-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
JKR

I have the CD version of 2 and I believe it is identical. So yeah, you can just transfer it to CD and won't miss out.

Such great games...

02-07-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Didn't they hide the easy mode for MI2 in one release (the double pack with SMI and MI2 on one CD)?

Not that it matters, since you can access both modes using ScummVM.

Or I could be talking rubbish .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

02-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
One for the road?

No, you're right. The later CD release lacked the "Lite" mode.

02-08-2008, 09:19 AM   #8

Wow, you guys are knowledgeable, thanks for all the help.

So are you actually telling me the cd release with both was worse? That sucks.

Did it feature the copy protection?

02-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Monkeyboy

ehrm... MI2 uses the iMuse soundsystem, while MI1 uses midi, so the way it renders sound is completely different. The cd-version of MI1 features these miditracks rendered with newer synthesized intruments(Roland 32 if I remember correctly) while MI2 already had a newer integrated sound system. MI2 was indeed released with a full soundtrack on the FM-Towns version, the music is almost the same, maybe a bit improved, but I prefer the nostalgia of the old iMuse pc-system anyway. Plus, MI2 on FM Towns is pretty rare and most likely expensive should you come across it on the net.
So my short answer is no, there is no significantly BETTER version of MI2 than the one you already own.
I think there was copy protection, but it doesn't really matter, ScummVM bypasses that I think

edit; and I wouldn't say the cd-verson is "worse" since it doesn't actually leave out anything, and as someone mentioned before, you can access litemode through ScummVM.

pps edit; the monkey island madness cd also has updated graphics for the controls and itemicons(it matches MI2), so I would say go for it.

02-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Retired Buccaneer

Actually the CD version of MI2 DOES have another change. The CD version omits one brief exchange of dialogue when Guybrush gives the fish to the fisherman on the Phatt Island dock.

02-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Monkeyboy

haha, strange how the mixnmojoers crawl out of the woodwork when someone mentions Monkey Island

02-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #12

Lol, because those games are so classic. I have the CD version of 1 which has the updated interface, 2 is my only issue, but seeing as the Boxed 3.5 floppy is the most sought after version (according to online prices, probably because it was the only complete version of the game) I guess I will just keep my copy as is.

Thanks for all the help.

Use Staple Remover with Tremendous Looking Yak with Wax Lips (ok, its not perfect, but I can hardly remember the whole line from memory)

02-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
Monkeyboy

goatman, check your pm's.

09-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #14

MI2 CD version differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
Actually the CD version of MI2 DOES have another change. The CD version omits one brief exchange of dialogue when Guybrush gives the fish to the fisherman on the Phatt Island dock.
I have yet to see which line of dialogue is actually omitted from the fisherman scene, however I believe that at the end of the game when Elaine says "I wonder what's keeping Guybrush?", the CD version has an extra line of dialogue in which she expresses concern that LeChuck may have placed a voodoo curse on Guybrush (leaving room for a sequel).

I'm not sure if this made it into the recent Special Edition, though my suspicions suggest it probably did. (Whether or not we'll be seeing a HD COMI remake is a different matter though!)