You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure With the new Lucasarts/Telltale partnership, I just have to say it...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #21
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Asp View Post
That's just a fancy way of saying "new is better". I'm not falling for that.
I respectfully decline, there's tons of things (like...say the Star Wars prequels) that are not as good as the old ones.

Hell, maybe the onew Sam & Max ISN'T as good as the old one, I don't know I never played the original.

What I'm saying is that Sam & Max has moved on, for better or worse, because of the way the business has moved on, and the creative teams have as well. Episodic Sam & Max by Telltale games is Sam & Max now, I don't know if it's better, but it's what we got.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #22
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Imagine better Grim Fandango returns,episodic.
Uhm, no. Grim is great and one of my absolute favourites, but I don't want any sequels to it. Let it rest in peace. (I might not even get excited about a GF2 made by Double Fine! I'd rather see new games there.)

And sequels just make people complain anyway. Either it's just more of the same (leaving us plenty to complain about) or if the developers are being creative and try something new, lots of people will complain even before the game is released, because it doesn't look or smell just the same as the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
Any chance of them making a real game instead of episodes?
Different people have different ideas of what a "real game" is. I'm pretty convinced that Telltale think of what they do as real games. (I do.)

Quote:
That's just a fancy way of saying "new is better". I'm not falling for that.
Well, new is better than non-existing.

--

I just realised that Guybrush will be in MI5. He and LeChuck are spooks! (I originally wrote it as a footnote, but later edited out the text that was referencing the footnote. That's why this comment is dangling here, all out of context.)
Old 06-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
I respectfully decline, there's tons of things (like...say the Star Wars prequels) that are not as good as the old ones.

Hell, maybe the onew Sam & Max ISN'T as good as the old one, I don't know I never played the original.

What I'm saying is that Sam & Max has moved on, for better or worse, because of the way the business has moved on, and the creative teams have as well. Episodic Sam & Max by Telltale games is Sam & Max now, I don't know if it's better, but it's what we got.
Well, maybe you should play the original. Maybe the original should be sold in stores again so you should get an idea of what it's like. And trust me, the voice actors of Sam and Max in that game actually put effort into voicing their characters. Why both of them were denied the opportunity to voice those characters in the new series is a mystery to me.

So don't tell me the new one is better if you haven't played the other one as well.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #24

Personally I've played both the old game and the new sam and max series and I find them equally good (that includes the voices).

Sam and max is the perfect game for episodic format since it mostly relies on comedy humor and wacky situations. The stories on each game aren't anything special, most of the time they're just there to serve the jokes...pretty much like a sitcom.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #25
never stops believin'

Quote:
Well, maybe you should play the original. Maybe the original should be sold in stores again so you should get an idea of what it's like. And trust me, the voice actors of Sam and Max in that game actually put effort into voicing their characters. Why both of them were denied the opportunity to voice those characters in the new series is a mystery to me.

So don't tell me the new one is better if you haven't played the other one as well.
I HAVE NEVER SAID THE NEW ONE IS BETTER. In fact you quote me saying I don't know if the new one is better. I HAVE NO IDEA, what I'm saying is it doesn't make much commercial/artistic/economic/continuity sense to make a new "alternative" one when there is a Sam & Max that is doing well. (I just realized I've said this in one form or another four times now.)

Sheesh.

I will probably play the original, and look forward to it. There's a ton of other games I have to get to first, though - which is why I haven't got to season 2 of the current S&M series.

It'd be great if they would re-release the original, but again, I think the current business dynamic (ie, many current games aren't even getting boxed due to production costs and the ability for people to just download games) prevents this from being a reasonable option. Also, piracy doesn't help - I'm sure many people view the game as abandonware, and if they really want to play it, will do so.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #26

I want a Grim Fandango remake with HD graphics and point and click control! Now that would be a flawless game.

I also would like a remake of Day of the Tentacle with similar graphics to Curse of Monkey Island.