You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper demo now available

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 03:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
I still maintain the EA adventures have been the best but thats maybe just me.
No it's not just you. EA 's Sherlock games (especially the case of the rose tattoo) are much better than the Frogwares ones. At least for those who read Sherlock Holmes books and are fans of them.

p.s. I hope Frogwares (the user) has nothing to do with the company. Although he is using "we", "us" etc. But if he is trully "representing" the company in this forum, this kind of rude behaviour is just pathetic.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
There was a member that pulling leg of writers about that Great Holmes asks a constable bookshop whereabouts Was that you?
Btw what i think about this Holmes games:I had enough of Watson's grey suit.
Yeah, that was me. It depends on a game but while I don't mind a character keeping an elephant in his trowsers pocket, there should be some inner integrity, and this is the case: Holmes shows certain sings of dementia. If he's such an idiot, why make games about him? Guybrush seems to have more grey cells as Poirot might say.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #23

Quote:
I've played the demo and I think that so far its far superior to the previous offerings, not perfect but then again what is. At least the investigation of the bodies isn't just "CSI lite" and does seem to capture the era more. The atmosphere of Whitechapel which as I understand it was a very unpleasant place isn't too bad.

Is this the same voice actor for Holmes and Watson as in Awakened and Nemesis. I also like the ability to switch between first person and third, complete with different viewpoints. The cons are of course the character tracking sometimes gets you stuck, but that happens in quite a few games.

The only thing is I'm stuck on the murder reenactment, I've got one clue I can't follow through, and its to do with the strangulation. I know the right answer and no matter what I do it won't complete.
Luckily for all os us MaGtRo of gameboomers fame have made a very nice walkthrough for us to peruse and use if we get stuck...

Here's the link:

http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/...SHvsRipper.htm
(use at your own risk, though)

Thanks Dale

Last edited by aries323; 05-26-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
Luckily for all os us MaGtRo of gameboomers fame have made a very nice walkthrough for us to peruse and use if we get stuck...

Here's the link:

http://adventuregamers.com/forums/ne...reply&p=509791
(use at your own risk, though)
You might want to double check that link. I'm sure you didn't mean to link to the new reply page.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Aubstopper

I bought the game online and after a long to-do about a French version accidently being posted instead of the English version, and a need to update my drivers on my gaming laptop, I finally had a chance to play it yesterday.

I am enjoying it thus far, but it's getting annoying doing a bunch of stupid tasks (like finding the map in the room or getting medicine), but i suppose if you've read the books, that's the sort of things that sherlock made watson do anyway.

I absolutely love the new system of recreating the scene, and using all your observations to come to probable conclusions...very Holmesian indeed!

I thought it was interesting that they opted for cartoon drawings of the murdered women rather than a computer rendering of them...i suppose it would have put the game beyond an M, since if you look at the actual post-mortum pics of these women online, it's pretty disturbing. It did lose some of the dramatic appeal for me, but i suppose they had to do it that way...
Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #26

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

I may be wrong, but the find the map and initial fetch and carry quests might be an opportunity to get you used to the game interface rather than sitting through a dry tutorial, plus you get to know some of the area.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #27
Seeker Of Red Herring(s)

Yeah, I agree completely with JadeFalcon. I think the two tasks mentioned are accpetable and probably serve those other purposes. The map one for getting you to have a look around the office, the medicine one for getting you to look around the streets... and meet someone I (and I haven't played anything but the demo) suspect is maybe possibly someone that might be someone to meet...

Unless this kind of thing continues. I have no problem with it.

I did find that there were bugs in the demo though: no voices at many points, only subtitles; other glitches too (I forget what exactly, so they aren't earth-shattering obviously).

Also, another small criticism, personally I found those speak-to-me voice balloons hanging out of npc mouths... odd to say the least. Kind of messed up the otherwise nicely done environment.

Anyway, basically the 2 tedious tasks listed so far are not yet a problem in my opinion, in that they seem to serve some purpose and are not really that time-consuming.

Plus, be fair, they even if they are a bit of filler, they are no match at all for 'getting the boss coffee' inanity that Still Life is steeeeeeeeeeeeped in! Arrrg.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:11 AM   #28
Hardcore Adventure Ninja!

Hmm...I really enjoyed the 4 Frogware Holmes games I've played so far. But the classics from EA are unreached. I consider them to be among the best adventure games ever.
Remember how you were able to click on almost everything on the screen and you got a really neat and detailed description. Ahh...good times.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #29
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeps View Post
Yeah, that was me. It depends on a game but while I don't mind a character keeping an elephant in his trowsers pocket, there should be some inner integrity, and this is the case: Holmes shows certain sings of dementia. If he's such an idiot, why make games about him? Guybrush seems to have more grey cells as Poirot might say.
Tpv may seem make game more playable but eveytime Holmes walks couple of steps away that triggers watson run after him.Once he was a ghost now a good runner.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to Aubstopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikane Zaprick View Post
Yeah, I agree completely with JadeFalcon. I think the two tasks mentioned are accpetable and probably serve those other purposes. The map one for getting you to have a look around the office, the medicine one for getting you to look around the streets... and meet someone I (and I haven't played anything but the demo) suspect is maybe possibly someone that might be someone to meet...

Unless this kind of thing continues. I have no problem with it.

I did find that there were bugs in the demo though: no voices at many points, only subtitles; other glitches too (I forget what exactly, so they aren't earth-shattering obviously).

Also, another small criticism, personally I found those speak-to-me voice balloons hanging out of npc mouths... odd to say the least. Kind of messed up the otherwise nicely done environment.

Anyway, basically the 2 tedious tasks listed so far are not yet a problem in my opinion, in that they seem to serve some purpose and are not really that time-consuming.

Plus, be fair, they even if they are a bit of filler, they are no match at all for 'getting the boss coffee' inanity that Still Life is steeeeeeeeeeeeped in! Arrrg.
those were only two examples...i didn't want to provide any examples that weren't in the demo because i was afraid of ruining it for others...there are many other instances where i felt as if i was doing chores...and helping this person in order to help that person in order to help another person so i could get some info. it's not THAT big of a deal, but i mean it had me sighing sometimes.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #31

Quote:
I may be wrong, but the find the map and initial fetch and carry quests might be an opportunity to get you used to the game interface rather than sitting through a dry tutorial, plus you get to know some of the area.
Was there a need for tutorial in Space Quest or Myst? Even reading a manual was optional. If one can't figure the interface, which is quite easy, maybe this one isn't the right person for AGs? I don't even remember having to get used to the Quake or Doom interfaces...
Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #32

I think its called padding