You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper demo now available

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 05:04 AM   #1

Default Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper demo now available

hi guys, i just started downloading the demo.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_45508.shtml

sure there are more mirrors available.

personally im VERY excited for this and hope it will be close to being as good as "The Awakened". i guess i'll know after trying the demo. hopefully i wont be disappointed.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
scapegoat sculptor

YEAH!!! thanks for the info tastebud.

I know what I'll be doing the next hour or so...
Old 05-22-2009, 06:32 AM   #3

My feedback so far:

This seems very good so far

Pro:
-You can see Watson actually follow you now, rather than just appearing behind you; free switching between First and Third person view (i always play first person )
-Space bar now highlights all usable items in the vicinity which is very helpful (if i remember correctly the other sherlock holmes games didnt have that)
-darker atmosphere than SH vs. Lupin
-good deduction mechanic where you have to collect evidence/clues and deduce facts by selecting various options from a drop down menu
-very interesting "reenacting the murder" mechanic. pretty disturbing as well.
-kind of freaky when thinking that these were real victims and you're inspecting them with a magnifying glass (granted they are "comic" drawings, but still kinda disturbing)
-could be fun checking the historical accuracy with wikipedia

Con:
-still relatively low draw distance (then again the fog might just add to atmosphere)
-there are some real life victim photos in the menu (not sure how far they will go with the realism of the crime scenes; then again some people may find this to be a pro)

well i'll definately get this game after playing the demo for a while. it seems to maintain the quality of the previous sherlock holmes efforts. those of us who liked the previous ones will like this, and those who didnt like them i dont think will like this one either. in any event, for the current pricetag of $19.99 u cant go wrong.

Last edited by tastebud; 05-22-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Banned User

Thats great to hear! Sadly i'm at a position where even 19.99$ should be kept for important materials. Damn I want to play this game now!

Damn the recession!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I never played Nemesis but this demo definitely seems to fix a few of the problems I had with The Awakened. For one, it's nice to finally be able to walk around London and actually see some other pedestrians milling about. There are dozens of people walking around in Whitechapel and it's definitely a nice change from the vast and barren areas of The Awakened. The investigation aspect seems to be a lot more interesting this time too. I like the whole deduction mechanic and the re-enactment system is a weird yet surprisingly fun change of pace. The puzzles still seem to be rather banal though; the incredibly long fetch quest in this doesn't give me high hopes for the puzzles in the rest of the game, although maybe it just gets off to a rocky start. Either way, it seems to be a pretty solid game with some small but welcome improvements over The Awakened. And $19.99 isn't too shabby so it seems like this could be worth a look.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 AM   #6

I'm hugely disappointed with Holmes having to run errands - and that's whithout saying Watson has to locate Holmes' map of London again and look for Whiteshapel as if the great detective didn't know the city through-and-through. Then, he's given some puzzle to solve: I understand HOW to solve it but can't grasp it WHAT should I strive for - the numbers must be ordered but how, from above to below or from left to right?

The passers-by are aplenty now but... Somebody passes you by, you look around, and the person turned into someone different, while the first one seems to have been teleported to some other part of the district.

Will have the game but uninstalled the demo as it got on me nerves...
Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeps View Post
I'm hugely disappointed with Holmes having to run errands - and that's whithout saying Watson has to locate Holmes' map of London again and look for Whiteshapel as if the great detective didn't know the city through-and-through. Then, he's given some puzzle to solve: I understand HOW to solve it but can't grasp it WHAT should I strive for - the numbers must be ordered but how, from above to below or from left to right?

The passers-by are aplenty now but... Somebody passes you by, you look around, and the person turned into someone different, while the first one seems to have been teleported to some other part of the district.

Nothing in the demo at all disappointed me. I'm sad to here that your bothered by such simple things.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeps View Post

There was a member that pulling leg of writers about that Great Holmes asks a constable bookshop whereabouts Was that you?
Btw what i think about this Holmes games:I had enough of Watson's grey suit.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #9

Although I was extremely disappointed by Frogwares' previous Sherlock Holmes games, I was hoping that this time it would be different. But it wasn't.

Peculiar character movement, weird camera angles, dull characters. Give it up Frogwares.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
Although I was extremely disappointed by Frogwares' previous Sherlock Holmes games, I was hoping that this time it would be different. But it wasn't.
Give it up Frogwares.
I agree but look like they obssessed with it they cant think of anything better than a poor Holmes story,
I gave up for looking good graphics long ago.But when the subject is a Holmes story script really getting my nerves.This guys nothing but insulting Doyle's legacy and players logic at every occasion and over simplifying gaming experience,shame.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post

Peculiar character movement, weird camera angles, dull characters. Give it up Frogwares.
even though i'm really surprised how anyone can REALLY dislike this series, i did suggest in my comment that those who didn't like the previous sherlock games won't like this one either most likely. strange how tastes can differ
Old 05-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #12

Played it. Can't wait to get my hands on this game now. I think it comes out Tuesday at my local store. I like the new way of solving crimes. Third person feature was nice, but I found myself switching back and forth between first and third person. I think I prefer first person overall.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
even though i'm really surprised how anyone can REALLY dislike this series, i did suggest in my comment that those who didn't like the previous sherlock games won't like this one either most likely. strange how tastes can differ
I still maintain the EA adventures have been the best but thats maybe just me.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
I still maintain the EA adventures have been the best but thats maybe just me.
I think who first read Holmes adventures and played Rose Tatto(and watched the movie Private Life of Holmes)will never satisfy this kind of gming approach but what producers aims a typical mass production at every aspect.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I agree but look like they obssessed with it they cant think of anything better than a poor Holmes story,
I gave up for looking good graphics long ago.But when the subject is a Holmes story script really getting my nerves.This guys nothing but insulting Doyle's legacy and players logic at every occasion and over simplifying gaming experience,shame.
before letting the place to the left over of the Adventure Elite, I must say I'm very glad to read this, you have been shitting on so many games and companies over the years, including wonderful games and people that we love, that it is really a good sign when you hate us, I take your remarks as sheer compliments.
Being told as doing bad games by you, is probably the most comforting thing that can happen in a single day.
Hopefully you are just like yearly vaccination against flu, same symptoms than the disease but harmless, except that your own area of expertise is stupidity, every year you come back with the same comments, the same pitiful and ignorant phrases, Frogwares did this, Frogwares didn't do that, look at the color of Watson suit, or the size of the shadows on the floor, or the animations of the pigeons in the street,...
Finally, considering your very constructive critics about our games, and admitting your almost well known authority on Conan Doyle canonical writings, you'll understand that it is really funny to read you. And I believe you are a true fan of us. So to thank you for you constant efforts supporting us, I engage myself that for our next game, I will put a character called Gabe (what does this nick mean by the way? it's a tree or a cake?). I keep the secret about your character in the game and your actions, but it will be at the level of your reputation, hateful and harmless (I promise you won't be a cockroach, it has been made before). So you see we're open minded, we're ready to include you in the game and make you known beyond the borders of this ... forum. You'll get royalties and you could say to your friend at school that you are inside a game, a typical mass production as you call them (that sounds so soviet style), ain't that cool??
Old 05-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #16

Frogwares, no offence but that's a rather snide comment. I own Awakened, Nemesis, Mystery of the Mummy and Silver Earring despite my preference for the EA games. I have hoped that the games would improve. I don't know if you have read what I said, I like atmosphere in the games. I haven't read the Holmes books, i've seen a couple of the old Basil Rathbone movies donkeys years back so I'm not a fanatic about Holmes, but I just preferred the EA games that I played but I've been giving Frogwares a chance. Of the games you've released that I have, Silver Earring in some ways seems to be closest to the atmosphere of the old EA games.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #17
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogwares View Post
before letting the place to the left over of the Adventure Elite, I must say I'm very glad to read this, you have been shitting on so many games and companies over the years, including wonderful games and people that we love, that it is really a good sign when you hate us, I take your remarks as sheer compliments.
Being told as doing bad games by you, is probably the most comforting thing that can happen in a single day.
Hopefully you are just like yearly vaccination against flu, same symptoms than the disease but harmless, except that your own area of expertise is stupidity, every year you come back with the same comments, the same pitiful and ignorant phrases, Frogwares did this, Frogwares didn't do that, look at the color of Watson suit, or the size of the shadows on the floor, or the animations of the pigeons in the street,...
Finally, considering your very constructive critics about our games, and admitting your almost well known authority on Conan Doyle canonical writings, you'll understand that it is really funny to read you. And I believe you are a true fan of us. So to thank you for you constant efforts supporting us, I engage myself that for our next game, I will put a character called Gabe (what does this nick mean by the way? it's a tree or a cake?). I keep the secret about your character in the game and your actions, but it will be at the level of your reputation, hateful and harmless (I promise you won't be a cockroach, it has been made before). So you see we're open minded, we're ready to include you in the game and make you known beyond the borders of this ... forum. You'll get royalties and you could say to your friend at school that you are inside a game, a typical mass production as you call them (that sounds so soviet style), ain't that cool??
The sad thing is that I agree with this, despite how snide it is.

The series is great, and doesn't deserve to be called trash.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #18
Hopeful skeptic

All right, there's absolutely no call to be making nasty personal insults, by player or developer. There are lots of different opinions here, and all deserve to be expressed if done civilly. It'd be a shame to cast the game in a bad light just because of a frustrated exchange that got out of hand.

So, back to your regularly scheduled constructive discussion.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #19

I've played the demo and I think that so far its far superior to the previous offerings, not perfect but then again what is. At least the investigation of the bodies isn't just "CSI lite" and does seem to capture the era more. The atmosphere of Whitechapel which as I understand it was a very unpleasant place isn't too bad.

Is this the same voice actor for Holmes and Watson as in Awakened and Nemesis. I also like the ability to switch between first person and third, complete with different viewpoints. The cons are of course the character tracking sometimes gets you stuck, but that happens in quite a few games.

The only thing is I'm stuck on the murder reenactment, I've got one clue I can't follow through, and its to do with the strangulation. I know the right answer and no matter what I do it won't complete.

Last edited by Jadefalcon; 05-25-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #20

I downloaded and completed the demo last night. I'm completely new to these games and have little knowledge of Sherlock Holmes in general, so I didn't really have any expectations going in. The first thing I noticed was that on the highest graphical settings, Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper is the most "up-to-date" adventure I've seen in terms of fully 3D graphics; certainly comparable to new games in other genres. The second thing I noticed is how the game is clearly meant to be played in the first person view, and so I did. I suppose a pros and cons list is the quickest way to sum up my thoughts:

+ Very interesting premise
+ Nice lighting and high-res texture work
+ Fitting dark and dirty atmosphere
+ Some good voice acting
+ Some good character models
+ Streets don't seem empty like in most adventure games
+ Interesting deduction & murder reenactment mechanics

- Stiff character & facial animation
- Watson's suit seems oddly pale & bright in the dark environments
- Some bad voice acting
- Some bad character models
- Not much variance in NPC models
- Menial tasks to perform before getting to "the good bit"

I couldn't help but laugh watching Sherlock Holmes mount Watson during the murder reenactment Anyway, for me to drop $20 on this game, I'd have to be assured that the average task is a lot more interesting than finding someone's suitcase and nipping to the clinic for some medicine. Saying that, I did enjoy the demo. It certainly captured my imagination. I'll be keeping my eye out.