You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Live adventure game in NYC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #1

Default Live adventure game in NYC

For those of you living in the greater NYC metro area (or who plan on being here next month sometime): I'm currently helping to produce a play entitled Adventure Quest, which combines vintage graphics and 8-bit music with live acting to evoke the world of '80s adventure gaming, particularly King's Quest and Quest for Glory. It will be going up next month in Brooklyn, New York; you can see more details on our Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=158844415264

and I've included dates and times for the show below.

The experimental theatre scene can be kind of an insular one, and we see this as a chance to bridge the gap between that world and the gaming world. Thus, we're hoping to bring in as many fans of these classic games as possible. Feel free to drop me a line with any questions about the show--my e-mail is chappell-underscore-c-{at}-earthlink-dot-net.

Kind regards,
Chris Chappell

ADVENTURE QUEST

Sat Jun 6 @ 5:30pm
Wed Jun 17 @ 8pm
Thu Jun 25 @ 7pm
Sat Jul 4 @ 5pm

The Brick Theater, 575 Metropolitan Avenue, Brooklyn, New York

Tickets can be purchased at http://www.bricktheater.com/antidepressant
Old 05-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
J.H
Frak.

great idea man! wish I was in NY
Old 05-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

Holy crap, I am so there!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Part-time Optimist

I wish I was in NYC too.

Playing Now: Shadow of Destiny
Recently Finished: Emerald City Confidential,Dead Reefs
Old 05-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Throw baby

Send a message via AIM to Rather Dashing Send a message via MSN to Rather Dashing Send a message via Yahoo to Rather Dashing
Default Adventure Quest

Adventure Quest is a play that's going to be running in the The Brick Theater in Brooklyn this summer. From their own site:

"The town of Perilton has been invaded by an evil wizard, and only our hero can save it! Cheer as he fights for the hand of the mayor's daughter! Gasp as he infiltrates the bloodthirsty Octopus Cult! Watch as he meticulously collects inventory items! Shift uncomfortably in your seat as the narrative gradually implodes! Glance around nervously as characters are brutally murdered for no particular reason! Despair as your faith in a meaningful, ordered universe is shaken! Evoking the Golden Age of home computer gaming, Adventure Quest is both a nostalgic treat and a glimpse into the yawning Void."

Kotaku has some extra details. Particularly of note are a couple quotes from people involved with the production:

"King's Quest is definitely the primary influence and like the Sierra games in general, like Space Quest and Quest for Glory – all the ones where you had a guy like walk around and you type some commands," co-producer Chris Chappell told us by phone today.

Like Homestar Runner's Peasant Quest spoof game, Adventure Quest uses common conventions and pitfalls from PC adventure gaming to move the plot forward. Chappell described a scene in which the Hero finds himself in a cemetery with no idea what to do. In desperation, he randomly starts combining things in his inventory and trying to give them to a man he meets. Finally, and for no apparent reason, the man accepts a tea set, makes Cemetary Tea and the hero is allowed to continue on.

The Kotaku article also says that everything from props to the music take on the atmosphere, with an EGA color pallete and 8-bit music.

...It's times like this I really wish I still lived in New York.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Pixiehunter

That sounds so awesome!

Too bad I live in the Netherlands (with no money to just fly to New York and back). Would really want to see what "common conventions and pitfalls from PC adventure gaming to move the plot forward" they use, and how they refer to other adventure games.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Game Creator Hobbyist

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=24689
Old 05-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I merged the two threads and put them back into the Adventure forum. It may get moved later, but it seems better here than in Underground.

Anyway, that's really cool!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #9

Thanks so much! Wish we could fly you all in... The one downside of live theater is that it's geographically limited. We may have to try to get this thing up on YouTube for y'all....
Old 05-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

This is the coolest thing ever. Have you tried contacting the NYC IGDA and telling them about it?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #11

Chris,

this is, on many levels, a wonderful project, and (--like Dave said--) one that deserves more coverage. I've emailed you, please get back to me if you get the time.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #12
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pell View Post
We may have to try to get this thing up on YouTube for y'all....
Please, please do. You might gain a forum's worth of new fans this way.