You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #1

Default Beat it!

In this thread Adventurers can celebrate beating a game with a victory post! After all, persevering through impossible odds using only your intellect to save the princess, the kingdom, the world, the universe, find your way home, unravel a grave mystery or discover the secret of Big Whoop! is a feat worth celebrating, no? So post stories of your heroic victories and impressive derring do here and we shall all applaud your great skill and esteem your keen wit!

Allow me to begin. Finally, after 6 years I have finally come to the end of "The Longest Journey". When first stepping out on the adventure I had no idea how appropriate the title would become. I don't know why it took me so long. It seemed like life kept getting in the way of me being able to move forward and I ended up playing it in several sessions broken up by months at a time. I loved every second of the game however! Usually if a game drags on for the amount of time I allowed this one to, I tire of it and lose the urge to continue. TLJ kept me enthralled until the very end. Now I begin.... Dreamfall! Wish me luck! (And a much speedier playthrough!)

Daventry

"The spirit of adventure will never die!"
Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Stalker of Britain

Dear gosh, 6 *YEARS*?!?! Holy moly. I couldn't "put it down", as it were. lol
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Hurray, I can't believe I just finished three games in a row this past week, all without using any hints!!!

Crime Stories (Martin Mystère) - Fairly easy game (except when I got stuck for a few days on how to get the truck working in Mexico ), the North American re-dub was merely OK, overlooked the wacky subtitles and odd bugs.

Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual - really short game with an interesting but unoriginal premise (missing relative, missing artifacts which are key to great ancient power), the ending was just as abrupt as Broken Sword 4. Is this the first adventure game to feature Malta as a location?

Aura 2: The Sacred Rings - the hardest of the three games just completed. Good sequel with challenging puzzles. (From the AG Hints thread, it seems like everyone was stuck on the same map puzzle, but the solution was very logical if you paid attention. )
Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 AM   #4

Trunkyo,

CONGRATULATIONS! Topping off 3 games in a week is mighty impressive! It always feels nice to clean the slate a little before moving on to the next big adventure but 3 in a week!? Wow! Now relax for a second, take a deep breath.... then go for more! Keep up the adventuring and let us know when you finish the next one!

Daventry

"The spirit of adventure will never die!"
Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Caffein Queen

In the last week I've finished 6 games!

- The 4 Monkey Island games
- Grim Fandango
- Simon the Sorcerer 3D

And right now I'm in the middle of converting files for Feeble Files.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

My dearest misslilo! What a task! I'm amazed
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslilo View Post
And right now I'm in the middle of converting files for Feeble Files.
If you can wait a little bit longer (not sure how long though) you won't need to worry about converting any files for The Feeble Files. If i understand correctly, the original smacker files will soon be supported by ScummVM.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
Caffein Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
If you can wait a little bit longer (not sure how long though) you won't need to worry about converting any files for The Feeble Files. If i understand correctly, the original smacker files will soon be supported by ScummVM.

Oh well, it wasn't really that hard or difficult anyway.
- Download and install RAD Video Tools
- Install the Feeble Files game.
- Copy all files(*.smk + *.vga especially) from all CD's into the gamefolder(even though it appears to have some of those files already).
- Rename voices.wav from CD1 to voices1.wav and voices.wav from CD2 to voices2.wav etc BEFORE copying them to the gamefolder.
- Edit the convert_dxa.bat(from ScummVM Tools) so that paths fit the programs and game folder(the DXA_PATH is the gamefolder).
- Run the .bat file and sit back a few hours, eh voila!

I'm about 3/4 into the game and loving it!

These are the needed files in the game folder before the converting:
Quote:
Windows

NOTE: Several files are only available after you have run the original installation program and installed Feeble Files to the harddisk.

*.SMK (Except DISK1/2/3/4.SMK)
*.VGA
GAME22
save.999
TABLES*
TBLLIST
Rename voices.wav on CD1 to voices1.wav
Rename voices.wav on CD2 to voices2.wav
Rename voices.wav on CD3 to voices3.wav (For 4CD release only)
Rename voices.wav on CD4 to voices4.wav (For 4CD release only)

Last edited by misslilo; 01-21-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #9
Senior *female* member

You finished 6 adventures in one week and now you're already 3/4 into the Feeble Files, which you started only yesterday...? I would not have thought such a feat possible, even with a walkthrough. FF happens to be one of the longest adventures in history, if not THE longest. It also boasts some very hard puzzles. And last but not least, little Feeble takes his sweet time walking across each screen, starting his bike, taking off, etcetera. Lots of backtracking and no shortcut!

I guess they don't call you the caffein queen for nothing.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #10

No sleep, plenty of time to play
Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

The last adventure game I completed was Scratches a couple of weeks ago. I played it with my sister, and we both liked it, though some of the puzzles made me groan ( the mirror puzzle, ugh...) and she didn't like how vague parts of the story and ending were (we ended up looking up several old discussions about it). Neither of us thought it was the least bit scary either. Dunno, maybe if we'd played it alone it would of impacted us more.

I also "finished" Point of View (P.o.V.) last night, though I don't think it merits a victory post. It's basically just a movie with a quiz in between chapters that slightly affect events and the outcome, there's no actual challenge to completing it.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

@ Daventry: Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! I had actually been playing Crime Stories and Aura 2 since after Christmas and just happened to finish them both in the same week! But CoM did only take me about four days to finish, it was a short game indeed. And I was really celebrating the fact that I used no hints for them! Three in a row with no hints is probably a record for me!

The next game to be finished will definitely be Scratches (on Michael's third day now, then The Last Visit).
Old 01-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Caffein Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
You finished 6 adventures in one week and now you're already 3/4 into the Feeble Files, which you started only yesterday...? I would not have thought such a feat possible, even with a walkthrough. FF happens to be one of the longest adventures in history, if not THE longest. It also boasts some very hard puzzles. And last but not least, little Feeble takes his sweet time walking across each screen, starting his bike, taking off, etcetera. Lots of backtracking and no shortcut!

I guess they don't call you the caffein queen for nothing.

Tell me about it, but when you're home sick and have nothing better to do, it's a piece of cake
It's a lovely game and yes huge... but I did use a walkthrough. Had to!
It was just too overwhelming to try out everything on everything in the game for me, lol.

Ohh, and just finished the remake of Kings Quest 1 - rather short I think and not really my cup of tea, but I had to see, what all the fuss was about