You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Voice your opinion on NO INFORMATION POLICY regarding GRAY MATTER.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #21

Hey Nico, good to see you posting here...

I've been a fan of your sites since long before GK3 was released. I visited Sidney everyday for a long while. (And I still do sometimes for nostalgia related reasons. ) It's definitely frustrating that nothing has been released about Gray Matter, it's been a long four years on that front. I think I've reached the point where I'd happily play the game when it's released, but without allowing myself to stress about it any more. Is that apathy? Maybe. If they don't want to advertise the game it's really their problem in the long run. But damn, wouldn't it be nice if they did? Don't get me wrong, I still care about the game and hope for the best!

Last edited by D.C.; 09-05-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #22
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Sels View Post
COME ON... the fact that this issue exists is unbelievable to begin with!
Why do you care so much? It's just a game. There are much more important things in the world to worry about. You are wasting your energy on this.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
who the f cares!? it's a game, either it comes out and is legendary -or- most likely... sucks/doesn't see the light of day. either way, you should seriously go and find something to do with your life in the meantime.
and no, you are not entitled to jack sh*t.

stop taking up valuable internetz spaze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Why do you care so much? It's just a game. There are much more important things in the world to worry about. You are wasting your energy on this.
In other words... get a life
Old 09-06-2008, 01:26 AM   #24

I HAVE a very full life, thank you. There’s really no need to get rude.
You may not understand why I get so passionate about this, but that’s what being a fan is all about.
I have been a Jensen fan since the beginning, a real HARD-CORE fan, who would do anything to promote her games,
To help her make future games, to help spread the word about her games and stories.
I have followed previous development stages from her games upclose, I’ve always tried to spread as much info as was out there to the fans.
This time it’s a whole other matter. It’s frightening. When the game was announced there was A LOT of interest.
80% of that interest seems gone.. what happened?

I would like to see her games get successful, known.. so that maybe we get a Gabriel Knight 4 one day (I’m not holding my breath),
but a successful gray matter WOULD certainly help the cause.

I don’t know the publisher’s PR plans, but as others pointed out.. interest is not just suddenly gonna flip overnight.
And I still think they have been very disrespectful towards jane’s existing fanbase from Gabriel Knight (a name they are more than eager to use in their press releases)
Old 09-06-2008, 01:38 AM   #25
LGH

I think dtp would have LOVED to show good game material at GC. If they decided not to do so, they must have had their reasons. Either there was nothing to show, or nothing good to show.

On the other hand, I agree that Anaconda really should improve their communication channels. Even if there's nothing to show, a little statement now and then would be helpful.

Quote:
While I do agree that Nico might be overreacting from time to time, this is just a silly argument. Yes, games are not the most important things in the world... but why shouldn't we care about existing or announced games? Otherwise, why would we spend time in this very forum?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:29 AM   #26

Personally I gave up being 'angry and disappointed' over this game a long time ago. Like most people here, I'm now more inclined to view it as a complete joke. Unexplained developer changes, interviews promised and then forgotten about, nearly a full year without even a hint of an update, and then a complete no-show at the GC despite announcing it beforehand... as I said in the earlier GM thread, I'm choosing to regard it as vapourware until I see some actual evidence to the contrary.

Nico, I feel for you, I really do - I fully agree that dtp/Anaconda have treated you and other fans appallingly, especially given the amount of free publicity you've generated for them. But with all due respect, I don't see that this thread of yours is likely to do any good. Like you, I cannot believe for a second that the publishers couldn't have whipped up something new to show at the GC if they really wanted to. Either they genuinely don't have anything at all to show for 10 months of work - in which case, let's face it, the game is dead anyway - or they genuinely don't give a flying crap about promoting their game to customers, and in neither case is complaining likely to make a difference.

Take the advice of other people in this thread and cut your losses. If you're still prepared to buy the game at this point, wait until the devs choose to announce something and then see how you feel. In the meantime, probably best to forget about it and move on to other things.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:35 AM   #27

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
This kind of statement always drive me mad. Come on, let's not be silly: the point Nico is making is very clear - you can agree or disagree, feel the same or in a total different way, but let's not retrieve the old, trite argument look at the suffering of the world - as in "My teeth ache terribly!" "Who cares? Think of children dying of starvation: that's real pain!".
It's just meaningless: can you really thing that Nico lost his sleep for GM? Or that he will gladly move a war to know some news about the game? Let's stick to the point.

Personally, I agree with Nico in this regard: we - fans of Jane Jensen and her work - showed a huge amount of eagerness and support toward DTP, and it's only human to hope that this care would also be the other way around. When one sees that the publisher totally ignore the so-attentive-fans (the old days of Sierra's are surely gone: InterAction and the publisher's diaries are only a matter of memory), the so-attentive-fan is disappointed.

As I wrote elsewhere, let's not talk about anger or so: we are talking about disappointment. And I think that this is perfectly understandable: saying that the game is vaporware is a sign of disappointment; saying that one isn't interested anymore in the game is a sign of disappointment; saying that one is bugged off by the DTP policy is a sign of disappointment.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-06-2008, 02:48 AM   #28

thanks for all the input guys, I already have a beautifull case.
but keep it coming, by all means

Maybe our letter to the board, will make a difference.
maybe it won't. but at least I'll have done my very best
Old 09-06-2008, 03:17 AM   #29
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

If your case will be successful and you will convince Anaconda to your point of view I imagine they will deley the game another year, so that they have time for a long, gradual marketing campaign that people dream about.

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-06-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:55 AM   #30
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGH View Post
On the other hand, I agree that Anaconda really should improve their communication channels. Even if there's nothing to show, a little statement now and then would be helpful.
It's funny that you should put it like that, but back then, they received quite a bit feedback for all their ever-present, over-the-top pre-release hype surrounding Moment Of Silence. It was perceived as being blown way out of proportion when the game actually arrived. That was back then when the Anaconda lable didn't extist quite yet.

Personally I'd rather be taken by surprise by something that isn't made up the be the very best big thing until the very next big thing arrives, than to find out that it's all just hyperbole. But that could well be just me. Doesn't necessarily mean that this almost complete lack of promotion is a direct result from what they have learned over the course of time. Doesn't necessarily mean that right at this very moment the game's turning out to be a piece of turd, either. It might just be that they haven't anything new and genuinely worthwile to show off yet.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:08 AM   #31
Super Moderator

Quote:
who the f cares!? it's a game, either it comes out and is legendary -or- most likely... sucks/doesn't see the light of day. either way, you should seriously go and find something to do with your life in the meantime.
and no, you are not entitled to jack sh*t.

stop taking up valuable internetz spaze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
In other words... get a life
Knock off the rudeness. Another rule about the internet is that if you don't like something, you don't have to read it and you don't have to comment on it. The rudeness stops here. Last warning.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:47 AM   #32

Look, I think it's great that you've done so much to promote the games and I've been looking forward to Gray Matter since I first heard about it as well, but I guess I could never feel anger or disappointment about not getting enough info. I cant imagine how I would even make time to keep up with all the things I'm interested in. It just comes out when it does, and then I'm happy (at least at first, then comes the very likely disappointment and so on )
What I really want to say is, I'm just worried about you wasting your energy. It seems like you've got plenty of drive and initiative in the fields you're passionate about, so I actually think it's a shame you don't direct those qualities at more "important" matters.

So it's really no critisism, just an immediate thought.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #33

Seriously, if you don't care about the game, why are you even posting on this thread? Go find something else to do and let the rest of us who do care about the game have our say.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #34
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Some people do care about the game, but don't treat the marketing for it as an important source of their entertainment. The only thing that really matters for me is the game itself. I also don't like when people are told how they're supposed to do things when they don't ask for it. I'm of the opinion to let Jane, Wizarbox and Anaconda do what they think is right for the game.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Some people do care about the game, but don't treat the marketing for it as an important source of their entertainment. The only thing that really matters for me is the game itself. I also don't like when people are told how they're supposed to do things when they don't ask for it. I'm of the opinion to let Jane, Wizarbox and Anaconda do what they think is right for the game.

I second that - perfectly put.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #36
Psychonaut

Personally I think you are wasting your time.

It's the publishers product and they can do whatever they like with it.

When the game is ready and they feel it should be shown. They will. No amount of pressure from fans should or will sway this fact.

As much as i'd like to hear more about the game. I'd much rather they concentrated on finishing it as best as they can rather than pander to impatient fans who think they have a right to information they don't own.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #37
Banned User

Wait? Didnt Gray matter get scrapped and redone by a different set of Devs? Why would anyone expect the game to be seen?
Old 09-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Sels View Post
thanks for all the input guys, I already have a beautifull case.
but keep it coming, by all means

Maybe our letter to the board, will make a difference.
maybe it won't. but at least I'll have done my very best
Just make sure to include in your letter that 95% of the people don't agree with you.

If you want to play rushed games that had lots of advertising, you should check out Hellgate London.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #39
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Knock off the rudeness. Another rule about the internet is that if you don't like something, you don't have to read it and you don't have to comment on it. The rudeness stops here. Last warning.
oh, I'm sorry. I thought the topic of the thread was 'Voice your opinion ...'
lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
Seriously, if you don't care about the game, why are you even posting on this thread? Go find something else to do and let the rest of us who do care about the game have our say.
I'll knock of the rudeness, but saying someone who does not share your opinion on a matter should refrain from sharing their views is just nonsene. Who said those people do not care about the game? They just don't let their lives revolve around it. I am voicing my opinion that I don't share your views on this matter. Leave the poor devs alone.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #40
Psychonaut

Quote:
oh, I'm sorry. I thought the topic of the thread was 'Voice your opinion ...'
lol.
You are entitled to voice your opinion as long as it is not rude or insulting. Your reply failed that requirement and was pointed out by a mod. No need for sarcastic reply.