You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Voice your opinion on NO INFORMATION POLICY regarding GRAY MATTER.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #41
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
Just make sure to include in your letter that 95% of the people don't agree with you.

If you want to play rushed games that had lots of advertising, you should check out Hellgate London.
I don't think anyone here wants a rushed game here or that they even release the game soon but rather that they would release some kind of information to at least say that they are still alive and that they are doing something.

Or if it's clear that they are still on it (I personally haven't gotten anything to even back that up) then at least something to say that they do care about the fans of the project (or whatever I should call the... interested consumers (as I'm sure that if I'm not exact in my words in this thread then someone will cling to them)).
Old 09-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Knock off the rudeness. Another rule about the internet is that if you don't like something, you don't have to read it and you don't have to comment on it. The rudeness stops here. Last warning.
How did you come up with this "rule"?
If I don't like something that I see, I have the right to comment it. Either it's in the web or not.
And the phrase I used was rather sarcastic and taunting and not rude

Last edited by dekaneas297; 09-07-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:42 AM   #43
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
You are entitled to voice your opinion as long as it is not rude or insulting. Your reply failed that requirement and was pointed out by a mod. No need for sarcastic reply.
Not strictly necessary, no, but it sure feels right. And FYI, it was more of a reply to this so-called "rule" then to the general rudeness.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #44
Mean Old Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
If I don't like something that I see, I have the right to comment it. Either it's in the web or not.
In this context, sarcastic and taunting is rude. If you disagree with someone, you can still express it in a respectful manner.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:48 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFratelli View Post
In this context, sarcastic and taunting is rude. If you disagree with someone, you can still express it in a respectful manner.
In my opinion it is not. And that's why I used it (I am not used to insulting people). In your opinion it is. So I guess it's subjective.
Can I disagree? Do I have the right? Am I entitled to? Because according to the "golden rule" that was written if I don't like something (which means I disagree with it), I can't comment it.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:22 AM   #46

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

You can comment on it freely, as long as you don't insult or mock other peoples. If your opinion is constructive in some ways, no one around here will ever told you to not voice it. If your contribution is "get a life" (your words, not mine), you must expect to be told to knock off the rudeness, 'cause this kind of opinion is snotty, in a best way, or offensive, in the worst. Moreover, this statement is everything but constructive to the thread.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-07-2008, 04:28 AM   #47
Mean Old Cat

Quote:
In my opinion it is not. And that's why I used it (I am not used to insulting people). In your opinion it is. So I guess it's subjective.
Can I disagree? Do I have the right? Am I entitled to? Because according to the "golden rule" that was written if I don't like something (which means I disagree with it), I can't comment it.
So, I take it you wouldn't be offended if a complete stranger dismissed you and told you to "get a life" just because they didn't share your passion for something? Okay, fair enough.

If you read back in the thread, I think you will find that there have been several others who disagree with the original poster, so it's pretty obvious that you ARE, in fact, allowed to disagree with something in this forum without getting in trouble for it. It's all about how you express your disagreement-- if you can't think of something constructive (or at least not taunting) to say, it will save everyone a bunch of trouble if you just say nothing at all.

Edit: Whops, Andrea beat me to it.

Last edited by MaFratelli; 09-07-2008 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #48
Psychonaut

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
Not strictly necessary, no, but it sure feels right. And FYI, it was more of a reply to this so-called "rule" then to the general rudeness.
I suggest you both read the FAQ that you agreed to when you signed up.

Quote:
Participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect. Passionate, even heated debate is welcome but messages which descend to personal insults, name-calling or other abuse will be deleted. Participants who routinely abuse other members will be warned. Failure to change behavior will result in loss of posting privileges.

While we don't censor swearing, we do ask that you show self-control in your use of language. Gratuitous cursing is offensive to many and an abuse of the freedom provided on the forums.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #49

Enough said. If the so-attentative-fans (AndreaDraco 's words) believe that by sending emails, letters, suicide notes or doing protests outside the White House or the UN they will "persuade" the publishers of Gray Matter, so be it. I and many others in this thread have stated that this is futile (at least).

Last edited by dekaneas297; 09-07-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #50
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Enough said. If the so-attentative-fans (AndreaDraco 's words) believe that by sending emails, letters, suicide notes or doing protests outside the White House or the UN they will "persuade" the publishers of Gray Matter, so be it. I and many others in this thread have stated that this is futile (at least).
Personally, I never said it would be necessarily completely futile. As far as getting some kind of response from DTP/Anaconda goes at least. Just that in my opinion it isn't a good idea to approach them with this. It won't help the game get made faster and may just annoy everyone involved with it.

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-07-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #51
Headbanger

The lack of information sure is irritating but is it really that important as long as the game is released?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #52
fire breathing

I would rather wait how many years it takes to get a quality game that is well marketed and released with some timely fanfare than a rushed game that flops due to poor management and lack of timely marketing. I'm sure that more info regarding gray matter will come out as we get closer to a finished "product" as oppossed to a project very much still under construction.

And I'm also grateful that a new full fledged jane jensen adventure is coming out at all so...
Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminBunny View Post
I would rather wait how many years it takes to get a quality game that is well marketed and released with some timely fanfare than a rushed game that flops due to poor management and lack of timely marketing.
I completely agree, and I'm sure that Nico does as well: we all want a full, enjoyable game, without bugs and annoyances. We're not asking for a step back in developing just to give us some news: we are asking about a little bit of communication with the publisher. Ragnar Tornquist's blog is full of questions about Dramfall: Chapters and, every now and then, he answer to those questions. Isn't this right, give the huge support fans had showed toward him and his game? Fans had showed an equal support to DTP and Anaconda when they decided to revive Project-J, so - in my opinion - it's pretty much the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminBunny View Post
And I'm also grateful that a new full fledged jane jensen adventure is coming out at all so...
I couldn't agree more
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:27 AM   #54

On the other hand, Jane Jensen's own website hasn't been updated since 2004, so I wonder sometimes about where the directive of radio silence is coming from.

If Jane and DTP/Anaconda have taken a vow of silence in order to preserve the mystery of Gray Matter until its release, then great! More power to them. But is this the case? Unless we hear a yes from an official source, then it's back to conjecture.

Whether we get any results, I believe that making some noise about the game can't do any harm. I don't believe in demands or threats or extortion practices (as if that needed to be said, but I guess it does) nor do I think we are entitled to anything. I don't think it's unreasonable to inquire, now and again, and show interest. What the parties involved choose to do at that point is up to them, but so far it's been incomprehensible, and I somehow just can't believe that's the way it is.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #55

maybe stirring up controversy about the non-information policy IS the big PR PLAN. it sure get's people talking about the game!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #56
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

It would be certainly nice if dtp/Anaconda decided to get to know the audience for their game, see what people expect from them, how they respond to things. It could become beneficial to them also in the long term - for future projects. But, of course, it's the company's decision to make. Difficult to guess what they're currently planning and in what state the game is in (seems like far from completion).
Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #57
Banned User

I've given up on this game and on Jane along time ago. When/if the game does get a release date and it actually gets released, I'm sure many of the Gabriel Knight fans will find plenty to whine about. Everyone has really big expectations towards this game and I honestly feel there's no way in the world all of them can be met.

I enjoy this long, (and perhaps even eternal) wait cause the minute it's out, there'll be a thread 80 pages long discussing how much it sucked or didn't.

Jane's legacy and fan base is still going on strong. But a part of it is undeniably the fact that she totally disapeared after GK3. Disapeared from the game world, I mean. Once she returns the "mystery" behind her has vanished and that's when the real fun begins.

Last edited by ILoveYou; 09-09-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #58

Jane hasn't disappeared from the game world at all. She's done very well for herself in the casual game market, and just recently released a kind of collaborative game based on a series of mystery stories by James Patterson.

But she has taken a long haitus from adventure game authoring since the Sierra days. Maybe that's one of the reasons Gray Matter will have high expectations; someone from those innovative days is going to show how it's really done! It's an undeniable treat, and I can hardly wait.

Last edited by Kazmajik; 09-10-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 AM   #59

Default Mail has been sent

All parties involved were mailed a (rather big) selection of remarks made here and elsewhere (remarks both in favour and against the no-information policy)

I will keep you posted, if we get a response.

Thanks everyone for their cooperation
Old 09-10-2008, 02:55 AM   #60

Let's hope in a response and, in the meantime, we only have to wait

Thanks for the effort, Nico