You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Voice your opinion on NO INFORMATION POLICY regarding GRAY MATTER.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 02:54 AM   #1

Default Voice your opinion on NO INFORMATION POLICY regarding GRAY MATTER.

Dear game enthousiast,

I’m writing you on behalf of a number of concerned Jane Jensen fans who are eagerly anticipating ‘Gray Matter’ anounced for 2009. A year after production on the game started, Gray Matter’s publisher DTP/ANACONDA started this ‘no information policy’ on the game. This has frustrated and worried fans and gaming website editors alike. I have been running a Gray Matter fanwebsite (cort-x.fwheel.net) since the game was announced, but received nothing but a ‘cold shoulder’ from the publisher itself, no news - resulted in closing that site.

Ever since, nothing changed and the publisher still refuses to aknowledge the pressing demand for information. Even at the Leipzig Fair last August, ‘Gray Matter’ was not present.

I now wish to send a letter to DTP/Anaconda’s Board of Directors & CEO to adress the current situation DTP’s Publish Relations Team have placed us in. I still believe in the fact that WE, the consumers, should be taken seriously.

I hereby invite you to join our cause and voice your opinion on this matter, so that I have a strong ‘case’ to present to the board. You can do this by posting a comment on our forum in the Thread I have created for this purpose:

http://cort-xforum.rilngard.net/topi...rum=2&topic=74

Spread the word!

Best regards
Nico Sels

Webmaster of ‘Sidney, the Unofficial GK3 Website’ & ‘Cort-X, the Unofficial Gray Matter Website’
Old 09-05-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Sels View Post
I now wish to send a letter to DTP/Anaconda’s Board of Directors & CEO to adress the current situation DTP’s Publish Relations Team have placed us in. I still believe in the fact that WE, the consumers, should be taken seriously.
I think if there was something new ready for Gray Matter, Anaconda would gladly show it at GC. It's a shame that the progress is so slow.

I don't think that the consumers have some moral (or any other kind of) right to demand anything from the publisher. At best they can try to blackmail him that they will not buy his products.

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-05-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:18 AM   #3

I was thinking that the place to voice concerns about the game would be at the official game forum, which is here:
http://forum.dtp-entertainment.com/viewforum.php?f=118

Maybe if there's enough activity there, someone will respond. But I'll go to your forum too, Nico. I'm so starved for information about this game that I frequent a number of sites looking for any crumb, but there's never any news, and it's been that way for months. Leipzig just made the lack of updates more vivid. I don't know if DTP/Anaconda has any kind of policy. Frankly, I don't know if they have anything. I hate the fact that they're the ones doing the game.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #4

I know for a fact there IS new stuff to show us..
do you really think there is NOTHING new since the switch from TONUZABA to WIZARBOX. Gray Matter was ANOUNCED to appear at leipzig. yet it didn't. people went there ESPECIALLY for gray matter.. not even an excuse afterwards.

I am a paying customers of all of Jane Jensen's products. including her books and have bought her games in thrifold just for the sake of sponsoring. so, I think I'm entitled to ask for a little info from the publisher of the product I intend to buy, don't you?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #5

Gray Matter has turned into a parody...
Let's forget about it...
Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
tsa
Playing character

For me, the game is dead. I said it before and I say it again: It's the Duke Nukem Forever of adventure games. Indeed, let's forget about it.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
I know for a fact there IS new stuff to show us..
do you really think there is NOTHING new since the switch from TONUZABA to WIZARBOX. Gray Matter was ANOUNCED to appear at leipzig. yet it didn't. people went there ESPECIALLY for gray matter.. not even an excuse afterwards.

I am a paying customers of all of Jane Jensen's products. including her books and have bought her games in thrifold just for the sake of sponsoring. so, I think I'm entitled to ask for a little info from the publisher of the product I intend to buy, don't you?
I think you are always entitled to ask and it's a shame you don't get an answer. However, you're not entitled to demand an answer. It's the publishers free choice if he responds and I see nothing injust about it.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #8

They don't owe us anything. It's up to them to decide when they want to show us stuff. Once they release the game, if it's good, I'll buy it. If not, I won't.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #9

i feel bad for jensen. she has the fanbase and the talent/experience to deliver a great product, but she keeps having to reboot, move around, etc.

i'm not holding my breath for this one

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
I know for a fact there IS new stuff to show us.
Unless you have inside information (which I'm assuming from the context you don't) you cannot know this for a fact. You can strongly believe this to be true but there is a very important line between strong belief and fact. There is a possibility that nothing whatsoever has happened since the last update. We'd rather that wasn't the case but it could be.

As for buying previous games entitling you to something, it did. Those previous games. The price of a game is for that game, not some rights over any future games. If you're going to buy future games regardless then it is actually in the best interests of companies to concentrate on getting them out (so they can get your money in) rather than spend time creating demos and producing news. The only reason for wanting information rather than the finished product is that you're undecided about buying a game. It might be in a company's best interests to persuade you but you can hardly claim they owe you anything if you're not firmly committed to give them something in return.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by stepurhan; 09-05-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Anaconda has released quite a lot of adventure games already and I'm confident they can manage with Gray Matter, which isn't supposed to contain any revolutionary solutions. I don't understand how people keep evaluating the end product by the deley and current lack of information. I envy you if you are always capable of delivering everything according to the initial plan.

Anyway, nobody will care about topics like this anymore, when we finally see something from the game.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #12

Stepurphan,

it's not because -I- know stuff, or find out about stuff that that means I can share it on my website with everyone. Because sometimes it would break trust, see?

hosting a fanwebsite means DIGGING for info. but I can only post that which gets officialy approved.

If the publisher decides to keep their lips tight, there's nothing I can do but try to reason with them or try to persuade them. that's what I'm trying to do here!

See, I work in advertising, publicity and pr myself... I know this business.
what I see when I look around is people either don't care about gray matter at this point, or they're angry that they don't get anything to ease the wait (for what is it? 3 years)...that's not good. that's BAD pr. a fool can see that. From a professional point of view I CANNOT BELIEVE this is happening to a Jane Jensen game of all games!

you understand my motivation now? I know I can't DEMAND anything from a publisher for a product I haven't bought yet, but COME ON... the fact that this issue exists is unbelievable to begin with!

Last edited by Nico Sels; 09-05-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
See, I work in advertising, publicity and pr myself... I know this business.
what I see when I look around is people either don't care about gray matter at this point, or they're angry that they don't get anything to ease the wait (for what is it? 3 years)...that's not good. that's BAD pr. a fool can see that. From a professional point of view I CANNOT BELIEVE this is happening to a Jane Jensen game of all games!
I agree that it isn't a particularly good PR. However, I don't understand the great meaning of people's anger and dissapointment over this. I must say I'm much more angry (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this) about the fact that I probably will never know what happened to Gabriel and Grace after GK3. Should I focus this anger on Vivendi which wastes the rights it owns, on Jane because she decided to do such a cliffhanger climax, and on Ken Williams because he sold his company to people without any vision? In regard to Gray Matter, should I keep thinking with contempt not only about Anaconda, but also about The Adventure Company because they didn't want to give enough money to do it? It all looks to me like bad PR for those people and companies. Yet I think I'll still look forward to new productions of Ken (if there are any - never say never), Anaconda, The Adventure Company and Jane. People make bad choices all the time, but in none of these cases I feel that I've been cheated, or somebody tried to be mean to me, or that the value of previous achievments has been lost.

Quote:
you understand my motivation now? I know I can't DEMAND anything from a publisher for a product I haven't bought yet, but COME ON... the fact that this issue exists is unbelievable to begin with!
I'm sorry about your website not having some cool materials to discuss, but somehow I don't believe that this situation will really be a big issue in the long run. Either Anaconda will finally reveal the game to the public, or not.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
If the publisher decides to keep their lips tight, there's nothing I can do but try to reason with them or try to persuade them. that's what I'm trying to do here!
Are you serious?
Do you think that by moaning, crying and posting in a website you can persuade the publisher?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #15

yes, I'm serious.
and yes it WILL make a difference.

my question to you is: are you happy with the current way the pr department is handling gray matter the last years?

yes or no.

with that info (and other things, we might have a story to the board of directors.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #16

I'm not happy at all about how DTP/Anaconda and Wizarbox have buried Gray Matter.

And really, all I would expect would be a statement concerning the non-showing at Leipzig. On the Anaconda website right now is this: "dtp entertainment is also going to show new impressions of Jane Jensen’s upcoming adventure game Gray Matter."
Well, they obviously haven't, and it's been more than a month since this statement was posted on their website. A little follow-up would be nice, but to ignore the whole thing is really mindblowing.

And what's the deal with Wizarbox? They never update their site. Go there right now and front and center is this: "So blonde is the first PC game completly developed by Wizarbox." And that's been there for months, word for misspelled word.

I don't know if anything will help, but I agree with Nico that being patient and silent isn't doing anything at all. Those of you who don't care can go back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
Codger

I don't have any idea how close the game is to being a finished product. But, if I were to guess, I think final financing and distribution might come from an ulikely source, i.e., MSN Games that distributed her Women's Murder Club game. They certainly have the resources that everyone else seem to be lacking.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #18
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
And really, all I would expect would be a statement concerning the non-showing at Leipzig. On the Anaconda website right now is this: "dtp entertainment is also going to show new impressions of Jane Jensen’s upcoming adventure game Gray Matter."
Well, they obviously haven't, and it's been more than a month since this statement was posted on their website. A little follow-up would be nice, but to ignore the whole thing is really mindblowing.
There was a statement at Leipzig. Despite their efforts, they failed to put together a working presentation for the game on time.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
Monkeyboy

who the f cares!? it's a game, either it comes out and is legendary -or- most likely... sucks/doesn't see the light of day. either way, you should seriously go and find something to do with your life in the meantime.
and no, you are not entitled to jack sh*t.

stop taking up valuable internetz spaze.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #20

Game is canned, probably going back to drawing boards like SC conviction.

They dont want to show the unfinished bad version to fuel fans outcry.

Thats what i think.