You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure All info on Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #101

Update mindblowing 30 minute demo

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Lirion/videos/2/

download .flv file

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V06NA2E3

Impressions

Game definately feels and plays like any 3d adventure game with only different control setup.
The exploration bits are totally adventure type only with joypad, but action ones are QTE's, but again if you remember adventure games had such QT before like in GK3 scenes where you have to immediatley click, even in brokensword 1 , irishcastle goat event, here you just have to push button rather than click.

There are also firstperson direction choosing sections like those FP adventure games ripper, myst etc.

Art direction is topnotch, graphics well after mirrorsedge demo and killzone2 recent trailer i am not that thrilled like before , but again this demo is just a single chapter which won't be in final setup of game but as bonus demo.

Your thoughts guys?
Specially unbiased ones.

Info from expo

Multiple view camera system, not always behind the girl.

- The demo is fully playable, no cut-scenes, the player can control the girl at any time.

- The Sixaxis motion sensor is used in the game to make different moves (open a window, raise or hit on an object, etc.).

- It is possible to hear what is happening in the mind of the character, so the player knows the different choices that are available.

- No loadings in the game!

- Backgrounds are fully interactive (all objects can be used, all doors can be opened, etc.).

- Very interesting Split Screen System to keep an eye on the murderer, control the character at the same time.

- The player has to maintain several buttons to stay hidden, uncomfortable situation for the player to reproduce the same stress in the game.

- Quick time events for some action scenes.

David Cage says in the video you can kill the fat man with a knife, a screwdriver, a chainsaw, a gun (hidden somewhere in the house)...
You can also get killed but that won't mean "game over". The story will go on, but the character that got killed will remain dead (there are several playable characters).

No loading, killing with chainsaw....seriously i cant wait to get hands on this demo alone, this demo alone provides so much possibilities.
And loved those stealth moments , i loved clocktower series.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #102

This gives a MUCH better idea of the gameplay. I cannot wait to play this game over and over and over. Looks brilliant.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #103

Wow, amazing. I really hope this game can deliver as it seems like it will. But why did she not call the police as soon as she saw the first dead body? Really.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
Wow, amazing. I really hope this game can deliver as it seems like it will. But why did she not call the police as soon as she saw the first dead body? Really.
She is investigating herself, thats why she has camera with her and recording the event, inorder to sell story later eventually.

She hasn't anticipated taxidermist entry and after his entry she can't call, but if my memory serves me right, i remember david saying that there is possibilty to call police,which makes another
ending to this demo, again this demo isn't part of game just to show what game can do.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:33 AM   #105

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Looks promissing. I hope they don't screwup the story again (like in Indigo Prophecy) because of deadline problems.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:47 AM   #106
aye, aye!

Oh god, that is awesome. I really do need to get myself a ps3 now!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #107

All I can say is wow but I dont have a ps3 and I dont know if I ever will

and I am such a die hard Fahrenheit fan..
Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 AM   #108
handsome

Preview and new screens:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3171774

Quote:
One glance at the game's phenomenally lifelike real-time visuals will have you second-guessing your own reality's graphical prowess, but ultimately, the quality of Heavy Rain's story line will determine whether or not it's worth the price of admission. Luckily, its grisly serial-killer plot shows incredible promise. "Most publishers are still busy making games for 12-year olds," explains Quantic Dream CEO and founder David Cage. "Heavy Rain is for an adult audience who want to be emotionally engaged."
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  35.6 KB
Name:  4.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  53.6 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  44.1 KB
thats a net right? That thing around the tree..
Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #109

Thanks for the update, and lol it looks like a tree going through a table in the 3rd sceen

First 2 screens look awesome though
Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #110
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDream View Post
Thanks for the update, and lol it looks like a tree going through a table in the 3rd sceen
Are you sure thats a table? Maybe it's some sort of net.. i dunno
Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #111

Working on Heavy Rain, we just decided [the ending] is not a mistake we should do again. We can tell a real story about real people in real life, and we can make it as interesting as anything else." Cage may be polarisingly self-assured, but it's the first time since we arrived in France that we've decided he's wrong. This is more interesting than anything else.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php...=310399&page=2

damn nice artworks

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/a...01_DEF.jpg.jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/a...WORK04.jpg.jpg

more here

http://www.eurogamer.net/gallery.php...ition=4#anchor

This pic is best PS3 love
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/a...G_2075.JPG.jpg
Old 12-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #112

The new pics of the face models are INSANE. I have never seen anything like it--not even Crysis beats it in the face department. Brilliant.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #113

Default just in case...

just in case... for everybody whos talking about the death of adventure games,,,well...2009 most anticipated game for PS3 seems to be an adventure game...

jaja
Old 12-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
just in case... for everybody whos talking about the death of adventure games,,,well...2009 most anticipated game for PS3 seems to be an adventure game...

jaja

Based on what?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #115

Default based on

http://www.psu.com/Heavy-Rain-most-i...0004662-p0.php

here is an example...
Old 12-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post

Yeah...that's not exactly the same is it? And if this game is going to be labeled the most anticipated game in 2009 it must be done by the gamers not by sony.

Anyway, I hope it does succeed. Personally I doubt it will resurrect adventure games in any way like some people believe... And even if it is good enough to do that the fact that it will only be available on ps3 won't really help.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #117

Send a message via AIM to Aubstopper

i'm really excited about it and want to play it; however, i don't think i'll be getting a ps3 just for this game...

is it for sure JUST being released for the ps3?

After all the work they're putting into it and all the money too, i don't understand how they can produce a product that will make money. The ps3 audience is extremely limited, and the ps3 adventure audience is even MORE limited. I can count the number of people i know with a ps3 on one hand (most people i know have an xbox360, a wii, or a PS2), and none of those are interested in playing a non-racing/non-shoot 'em up game.

In my opinion, it seems a little stupid in a business/marketing sense to NOT release it also on PC...because there you have the fans of Indigo prophecy and most of the adventure audience.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #118

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

As far as I know, at the present moment, there won't be any other version outside of the originally planned PS3 version. Maybe later, but I wouldn't put my hopes in it.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #119

Send a message via AIM to Aubstopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
As far as I know, at the present moment, there won't be any other version outside of the originally planned PS3 version. Maybe later, but I wouldn't put my hopes in it.
regardless, it seems like a dumb idea on their part...especially if they want to make a profit....and even more so in this economy
Old 12-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #120

i think this is because ps3, wants it to be, like a demostration of the capabilities that the console has graphic wise, and game wise,..so it proves that is the best, etc etc etc

maybe they feel so confident about it(well actually if you look at youtube or google, youll see many thousands of views and comments around the game... even hundreds of thousands...so yes,,,there is a buzz) that they think it will make a difference regarding how the ps3 is perceived and used...they maybe believe it will make a big difference...

lets see what happens...but im excited