You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure All info on Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #141
Adventure Dude =]

I need a PS3.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #142
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrai...p=60&ch=1&sd=0

World exclusive first look at Heavy Rain.
Thanks, Lucien, watching it now. There are some slightly more than barely audible mumblings from the usual dolts obsessed with graphics about how a mite less good the graphics are in this latest clip (auto junk yard scene) compared to the old house with the girl investigating and then defending herself.

But just watching the clip, I was suddenly unaware of the graphics and more involved - emotionally - with what happens next to the male FBI agent with the gun and the substance addiction. Looks like Monsieur Cage's magic is starting to work on me.

Heavy Rain, along with the exclusives Project trICO and Uncharted 2 are what will eventually compel me to procure a PS3 - well, that and when those desperate idiots at Sony finally lower the console's price another $50-100.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 05-22-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #143

PRESS X TO NOT DIE! isn't fun.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:04 AM   #144
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I have incredibly mixed feelings about this game. I mean, it looks gorgeous. The animations are silky smooth and the environments seem to be incredibly rich and detailed. And the quick time events seem to have been better implemented this time around, seeming a lot more context sensitive and a lot less Simon Says. But I don't know, as technically impressive the game seems, I just can't fight the feeling that it's going to be completely hollow on the inside. I don't discount that David Cage is a technical visionary -- you have to be brilliant in some way if you can get such non-traditional games like Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain made with such massive budgets -- but artistically? I don't think that's where he shines. I thought the script for Indigo Prophecy was the worst part about the game; what started off as an intriguing thriller quickly devolved into overindulgent melodrama trying too hard to be taken seriously as something thoughtful and mature before finally going off the deep end in the last 1/4 and turning into laughably silly sci-fi schlock. David was trying so hard to make a cinematic game, it even said "written and directed by David Cage" in the manual, but the script he wrote for it would've be the equivalent of a cheesy TV movie starring Judd Nelson and Alyssa Milano that airs on Showtime at 4 in the morning. Do we have lower standards for writing in video games? It was a game desperately trying to be a thoughtful character-driven story yet it ended with the main character jumping over helicopters and running along the sides of buildings. It featured a sex scene which pushed boundaries around the time of the Hot Coffee scandal, but it also featured
Spoiler:
an old lady revealing herself to be a computer monster made of up of glowing yellow spirals
. I don't think Heavy Rain is going to get that goofy (or at least I pray it doesn't) but I just can't shake the feeling that it's going to be just as superficial as I found Indigo Prophecy to be; there will be sex scenes, swearing, people screaming and crying while looking up in the rain, and all sorts of attempts to be a serious piece of interactive drama aimed at older players but I just don't think David Cage is good enough to write a script strong enough to pull it off, no matter how realistic the characters look. Despite all of this, I am going to play the game when it comes out, and I think it could be an entertaining and fun thriller if it doesn't try too hard to be something it's not.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 05-23-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spoiler tags added
Old 05-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #145

It would have served them better if they had released that trailer((playing behind on screen) too.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventur...iew-david-cage
Old 05-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #146
Game fanatic

SamandMax: Spoiler tags are a good thing when revealing plot details.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #147

Heavy Rain looks amazing, it's definetely on my must play list. I entered a contest last year and won a PS3 so thankfully I already have the console.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #148

I am definitely gonna get this game !

I chose to buy a PS3 a year ago in hindsight of the production of this game.

I avoid all previews (written or in motion) like hell.
I know some gameplay tidbits and saw very few in-game graphics, but that´s it.
When the reviews start to get published I´ll check the scores but nothing else.
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 05-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #149

Looks interesting, however i will never gonna buy a PS3 so... no Heavy Rain for me.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #150

Send a message via AIM to Aubstopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Looks interesting, however i will never gonna buy a PS3 so... no Heavy Rain for me.
same here...i don't think it's worth the hundreds of dollars it would cost just to be able to play this game...and i'm a poor grad student living off of student loans :-/

maybe if it is successful enough they would make a pc version? perhaps this is just wishful tihnking...
Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #151
never stops believin'

I bought a PS3 for a blu ray player, that alone is worth it (also to be able to play Fallout 3 on the big tv)...

...however, it looks like from most reports Heavy Rain is being pushed to 2010.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #152
merely human

Interview: David Cage of Quantic Dream and Heavy Rain | Joystiq

Quote:
...what we really do is we build empathy for these characters. We want to give you the feeling that you really care for them...

I didn't want to deal with [making Heavy Rain an adventure game]....It became very complicated and I got the feeling that it would take me away from what I was trying to achieve, which was really trying to create an emotional experience, something that would be really immersive and emotionally involving.

We are really, really far away [from making emotionally involving games for MATURE ADULTS]. We are light years away to be honest. And this is because we don't dare stop doing what we have been doing for 15 years. I mean, let's stop making games for kids and teenagers. Let's ask ourselves the real questions. Let's change the way we see interface. Let's change some of the traditional game conventions that we have had for 15 years that we take for granted, like, you cannot make a game if there is no ramping, if there is no game over, if you don't progress in difficulty, etc.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #153
Seeker Of Red Herring(s)

Quote:
Let's change some of the traditional game conventions that we have had for 15 years that we take for granted...
Hell, while you are at it "let's" change some of the very traditional and fundamental core things.

Let's not release the game on PC! That'll be great, screw them there fans that have not decided to buy into the biggest of the biggest rip-off console market. We've got 11 year olds to market our "motionally involving games for MATURE ADULTS" to.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:37 AM   #154
Game fanatic

It seems the reason this project has gone through with the budget that it has is very much down to it being a PS3 exclusive. Which makes harassing them for not making it on the PC sound a bit odd. It was probably not an option.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 AM   #155

Not to mention that if Heavy Rain were to appear on PC, it might require a $1000 dollar system with a $500 graphics card.

Now that consoles have caught up with PCs (graphics, on-line play), they are now the cost-effective outlet for games.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #156

Your PC market is full of pirates and cheaptards.
You torrent and whatnot. You people don't deserve good products. Do you even know the piracy rate its above damn 90%.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Not to mention that if Heavy Rain were to appear on PC, it might require a $1000 dollar system with a $500 graphics card.

Now that consoles have caught up with PCs (graphics, on-line play), they are now the cost-effective outlet for games.
Well not really, i mean not necessary. The consoles are now pretty outdated hardware, any mid range PC is (way) more powerfull than a 360 or PS3. The problem is optimization, if a console game is well ported it should run well in a average PC. Unfortunatly thats not always the case (GTA4...).

I think the main reason Heavy Rain is a PS3 exclusive is only monetary. Sony is paying (or helping) the development process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
You torrent and whatnot. You people don't deserve good products. Do you even know the piracy rate its above damn 90%.
Don't need to overreact and generalize. There are A LOT of pc gamers (me included) that are not rampant pirates and deserve good games like any other console gamer.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #158
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
As the above post sparked a discussion about piracy on both PCs and consoles I've created a new thread for that discussion to avoid derailing this thread further.

It can be found here.

Please continue any discussion of the relative prevalence of piracy in that thread and leave this thread for discussion about Heavy Rain.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 05-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikane Zaprick View Post
Hell, while you are at it "let's" change some of the very traditional and fundamental core things.

Let's not release the game on PC! That'll be great, screw them there fans that have not decided to buy into the biggest of the biggest rip-off console market. We've got 11 year olds to market our "motionally involving games for MATURE ADULTS" to.
Ah, Adventure Gamers are essentially the 80 year olds of videogame fandom; terrified of change to the point of feeling threatened and disdainful of whippersnappers, with their loud music and whatnot.

Things weren't like this in the early 90's, consarnit!
Old 05-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #160
Seeker Of Red Herring(s)

Quote:
terrified of change...
Yeah, right. I can upgrade my PC to keep up with change and leave the console "product" lagging behind.

Consoles represent "change" in no way. Consoles have been around households longer than PCs, I was there in the 70s and 80s, my friend.

You can pretend otherwise, with all of these things about "equally capable", "PCs are pirate rigs!", "games don't get built unless we allow the console marketeers to dictate!"... but you are buying and, worse, selling a load of crap.

I ain't buying.
I won't be suckered.