You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #21
I changed my title

Now that I went to menu after actually playing I see what you mean. It's lagging or something.

I have moved the prjector with the pole, but it only turns towards the bathroom, and Niokopol keeps saying the same things.

Oh, and apparently you can't save in the demo. That's just stupid.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #22

It never turned to the bathroom when I played it. Have you watched the movie on the wall yet?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #23
I changed my title

No, he won't turn it on without a place to project.

When I turn it, it only turns to one side, which I presume it will project from (the wheels turn towards the canvas, and the other side towards the bathroom). Or is it supposed to project from the side of the wheels? It doesn't do that either, anyway.

I have a reel in, so that can't be it.

EDIT:
I've looked and it's turned towards the canvas and he won't turn it on.
I think it's a bug. I'm going to restart and see.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #24

You need to have a movie screen just to the left of where all the film canisters are kept. Look around that area.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #25
I changed my title

I give up. I restarted and suddenly he turns the camera towards the wall of the living room but he still refuses to turn the thing on. I uninstalled it.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #26

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

At the right side of the shelves of movies, you have to look up and there's a projector screen to unfold. Now, you can turn the camera on.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #27

Default A video walkthrough for the demo on youtube i did :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXvG81v7mmk

Just uploaded it .
Enjoy .

My own opinion its going to be a great game .
Old 09-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #28
Psychonaut

Hmmm

There certainly was a lot ot like about the demo.

The 3D menu screen was nice, the overall quality of the graphics were superb and I liked the inventory screen interface.

The voices were ok and the music bearable.

The cutscenes were cool and I even didn't mind the flip screen 360 degree movement.

However, I think it was slightly tempered by the puzzles which were a bit hit and miss.

In the 3D space with a tiny dot for a cursor it was incredibly easy to miss an item and 3D pixel hunts are never fun.

The painting puzzle was fair enough, but a tad odd in the context (why would someone ask you to knock up a picture of your dad before you leave the house), the multi stage timed puzzle was ok, but frustrating to keep getting killed (although it was nice it didn't make you restart from the beginning every time.).

The wall puzzle was just baffling. You are running from a monster/arrest and you only have 5 tries to knock out some bricks. Fairly sure I could have fit through the gap with some bricks left and why did they magically reappear all the time....Barking mad.

Overall I enjoyed the atmosphere and the setting, but the puzzles are a tad odd.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #29

I've just played through the demo, and I rather liked it. The game looks great – it has a lot of style, which is something that matters a lot more to me than technical aspects. And the various little bits from the totalitarian world the game takes place in were done in a fun way (the loudspeaker constantly blaring in the background reminded me a lot of The Feeble Files).

On the gameplay front, after reading this thread (and playing Paradise), I was expecting a lot worse, and was rather pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the drawing puzzle (I dunno, it made sense to me), and I thought that evading the monster was fun* (and felt like a natural development of the story rather something artificially tacked on). The bit with the hammer, on the other hand, was ridiculously artificial and felt like it was put there just to meet some sort of puzzle quota.

It'll probably have its share of flaws, but I'm looking forward to playing the complete game.

* Then again, I was shown a very early version of that puzzle a year ago, and mostly remembered what to do; maybe I'd have found it more frustrating otherwise (though I still believe I'd have found it fun).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #30
recovering AG addict

The painting puzzle had me stuck due to the illogic solution. I guess people are supposed to find the movie screen before you put the canvas there.

I really didn't like the Myst-esque or rather killing moon Tex Murphy-esque fake 3D. Come on, let us walk wherever we want!

I also found the statement at the beginning silly, about this being a demo which is not representative of the real game. I hope they'll give you the freedom to walk in the real game, but I'm pessimistic.

Max: Right! We'll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That's spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...
Old 09-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #31
recovering AG addict

whow, I've been an AG member for 5 yrs now! What a waste of time

kiddin

Max: Right! We'll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That's spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radott View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXvG81v7mmk

Just uploaded it .
Enjoy .

My own opinion its going to be a great game .

Thanks man the game is highly atmospheric, the environments are cool as i expect from adventure games like this.
Its been so long , been waiting for good adventure game to catch my interest and this one looks exactly my type.

Puzzles are buggy , i hope they will get fixed in final release.

And i have no problems with music or voice , really good for game like this.

Though world is futuristic, and the art design flavor is of bilal something, is there any explanation of these monsters, why they look like these and whats the deal with them lurking in appartments or streets , are they govt. cybernetic watchdogs or what?

I hope game explains that.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #33

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaap View Post
I also found the statement at the beginning silly, about this being a demo which is not representative of the real game. I hope they'll give you the freedom to walk in the real game, but I'm pessimistic.
The game isn't planned to be in full, real-time 3D.

I too am a fan of 3D environment with free movement/exploration, but I actually think that the system implemented works just fine for Nikopol: the graphics are highly and lavishly detailed; the movement is handled quite well and - even if the exploration is limited - the feeling of immersion is very good. Also, I don't think that a 3D engine could have managed to achieve this level of detail (thinking of Nikopol's study in particular), at least not a these budgets

In the end, my only complaint is for the puzzle design, or at least for first five game's minutes' puzzle design.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaap View Post
I really didn't like the Myst-esque or rather killing moon Tex Murphy-esque fake 3D. Come on, let us walk wherever we want!
I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't prefer real 3D, including the developers. However, that'd take millions of dollars and a bigger crew, which they just can't afford. It's not that simple.

I must say I really liked the demo. The puzzles are still acceptable if they don't get much stranger than this later on. The hammer riddle was pretty easy once you figured out the sequence. I didn't see the wall as "magically regenerating" but as a less tedious way of saying "you died, start over." So I didn't mind that one.

Unless future reviews are absolutely horrible, i'll be picking this up.

Last edited by tastebud; 09-13-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:44 AM   #35

I liked the demo, even though the portrait and the wall puzzles were solved by hit-and-miss trying rather than logic. But the cursor - my God! - it's just awful. I could live with pixel-hunting bu cursor-hunting must be the most frustratin process in the world.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #36

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Nice demo, but allowing players to find/pick objects before we need it is pretty dumb and a game design flaw.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #37

I cannot, for the life of me get past the dang window break puzzle.
Can anyone tell me if there is more to the demo after that part? If not, I'm leaving it at that.
Spoiler:
I've hit every dang one of those blocks, tried patterns, tried random. No go. Really lame puzzle, and not quite logical.
If the hallway/stairwell was fine when the bug came to get me, then why did it suddenly get all trashed as I tried to trap the bug? Just let me go down the stairs, jeeesh.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #38
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalii2 View Post
I cannot, for the life of me get past the dang window break puzzle.
Can anyone tell me if there is more to the demo after that part? If not, I'm leaving it at that.
Spoiler:
I've hit every dang one of those blocks, tried patterns, tried random. No go. Really lame puzzle, and not quite logical.
If the hallway/stairwell was fine when the bug came to get me, then why did it suddenly get all trashed as I tried to trap the bug? Just let me go down the stairs, jeeesh.
Spoiler:
Actually it is very logical. Every hit damages the block you hit and every block touching it. Some blocks take 2 hits to destroy them.

Just not logical to the plot. and Yes the demo ends with a small video after this.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #39
It's Hard To Be Humble

Sounds intriguing, though I wonder if that puzzle thing will be a deal breaker for me. I'd try the demo, but my OS and the programmes I have installed on my 80GB drive are taking up so much room, I have to think carefully before I install anything new. Maybe after I finish Tunguska.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #40

Spoiler:
Why go to all that effort to lock up the monster when you could(conceivably) use the hammer on the ceiling braces and bring half the building down on it's head?

Last edited by Melanie68; 09-20-2008 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags