You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #61
Dread Pirate

I'm 32. I've been playing pretty much nonstop since my brother brought home an early King's Quest game for his Tandy 1000!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #62

im 30.. 31 this july.

I grew up with them lucasarts/sierra adventures(Sam & Max, Kings Quests, Space Quests, Full Throttle, DIG, Day of the Tentacle.. etc.) I remember gettin stuck in those, and callin the phone hotline. good times, good times.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #63

Send a message via Yahoo to pj23h

I'll be 34 years old in August. Great to see that adventure gaming interests people of all ages!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #64

Send a message via Yahoo to pj23h

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGCrazied View Post
im 30.. 31 this july.

I grew up with them lucasarts/sierra adventures(Sam & Max, Kings Quests, Space Quests, Full Throttle, DIG, Day of the Tentacle.. etc.) I remember gettin stuck in those, and callin the phone hotline. good times, good times.
Likewise! The telephone hotlines. Oh for the Internet way back then.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #65

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

26 ... 27 in august
Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #66

Turned 34 in February. I discovered adventure games four years ago, right after I had finished my dissertation, graduated and didn't know what to do with my spare time - I just couldn't stand reading any more books at that point so I went out and bought some computer games. Lucky me: The first adventure game I ever bought was Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars. I still love that game. Of course, I missed the "golden days" - I didn't even have a computer back then. It's not easy getting my hands on the classics but I do my best

As for the "ridiculous" age of 70+: I know I'll be playing adventure games when I reach that age - provided I haven't ruined my eyes by then But I don't see any valid reason why one should give up a hobby just because one has reached a certain age. It's like parents telling their grown-up children that they're "immature" because they're still listenting to heavy metal instead of "decent" music. I know my boyfriend's dad used to think that way, always hoping that "the boy" would finally grow up and listen to something else than screaming guitars. Alas, he has lost this hope after he has seen his son performing on stage with an Iron Maiden coverband *g* But that's a different story. The point is: Some things seem to be connected to young(er) people in a way that people react surprised when they find out that heavy metal and computer games are also something held dear by people who have long left their teenage years behind I know there are people my age out there saying "Oh yes, I used to listen to heavy metal/play computer games when I was younger but I don't do that anymore because I'm grown up". What the..? If you enjoy something, why give it up just because you think it makes you more "mature"? I'll never understand this..
Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #67
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehane View Post
The point is: Some things seem to be connected to young(er) people in a way that people react surprised when they find out that heavy metal and computer games are also something held dear by people who have long left their teenage years behind I know there are people my age out there saying "Oh yes, I used to listen to heavy metal/play computer games when I was younger but I don't do that anymore because I'm grown up". What the..? If you enjoy something, why give it up just because you think it makes you more "mature"? I'll never understand this..
On one hand, I agree with you; when I was younger, I kept wondering why most adults suddenly turned boring after they reached a certain age. Is there some sort of switch they turn on that suddenly turns people into corporate clones? I keep waiting for this to happen to me, now that I'm technically an adult, but alas, I still have child-like hopes and dreams that don't seem to be going away any time soon.

On the other hand, there's the fact that the majority of games are designed with immaturity in mind, and if the desire for constantly killing things and objectifying women actually is something that lessens over time, then I think the world is better for it. Of course, the real problem here is that people see all games as "immature" for this reason, when it's clear that not all of them are.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #68

I am 62 years old. I got my first computer in 1978. The first adventure game I played was called "Adventure". It was text based and very difficult.

I guess I have played all of Infocoms games, all the text based Zork games, and every adventure game that Sierra created. Their first graphics based one was Mystery House.

I really think the 90's were the golden age of games but we can hope that the adventure Genre will survive.

Oh and for the naysayer that does not believe that us older ones play games. Go to WWW.QRZ.COM and enter my amateur radio call sign KB4BLU and you will see my picture and know I am an older gent
Old 04-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #69
The Quiet One

Quote:
Alas, he has lost this hope after he has seen his son performing on stage with an Iron Maiden coverband *g* But that's a different story.
I would have been more jealous if it was the real band. Not meaning to sound like a typical child (which mentally i am lol), but if my parents, or anyone for that matter, moaned about what i like then that just makes me like/play it all the more just to wind 'em up.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #70
Fantasy Writer

Send a message via AIM to ThePillarOfLight Send a message via MSN to ThePillarOfLight Send a message via Yahoo to ThePillarOfLight
Default Hey

I'm 22, and started my adventure gaming with the original Myst and Journeyman Project back in the mid-90s. Been gaming ever since, though I very few others who play, and generally if I get someone to try one, they play it for a while or solve it then never go back. "Too much mental work after working all day" and the like. Ah well. I've always found them wonderful in many ways. Immersive worlds, stories, characters, atmospheres, sounds, music, the intrigue of puzzles and mysteries and figuring things out, or the draw of simply learning more about a character. Always fun, whether in the form of ancient text adventuring, older 2d, or in more recent 3d AG worlds. Beneath a Steel Sky, Myst, Space Bar, Obsidian, Journeyman Project, Blade Runner, Still Life, and the like have been my favorites.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #71
Senior *female* member

The Space Bar! Obsidian! Wow, great taste.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #72
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasus View Post
I am 62 years old. I got my first computer in 1978. The first adventure game I played was called "Adventure". It was text based and very difficult.

I guess I have played all of Infocoms games, all the text based Zork games, and every adventure game that Sierra created. Their first graphics based one was Mystery House.

I really think the 90's were the golden age of games but we can hope that the adventure Genre will survive.

Oh and for the naysayer that does not believe that us older ones play games. Go to WWW.QRZ.COM and enter my amateur radio call sign KB4BLU and you will see my picture and know I am an older gent
You have a lot of info about yourself there mister. Aren't you afraid of someone misusing that?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #73
Schättenjager

Looks like this topic title urging elderly for become a member of
adventure forums.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 AM   #74

I am 26. My favorite games were GK1 and QFG4 and I remember being devastated as a Teen when Sierra's Redwood studios shut its doors. As a result I bought Leopold McGinnis's book GameQuest and get a little weepy everytime I open it up.

Yeah I know. Sad, but true.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:48 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
On the other hand, there's the fact that the majority of games are designed with immaturity in mind, and if the desire for constantly killing things and objectifying women actually is something that lessens over time, then I think the world is better for it. Of course, the real problem here is that people see all games as "immature" for this reason, when it's clear that not all of them are.
You're right; I didn't have those games in mind when writing my original posting. Those games do have a right to exist as well; I just don't want to be thrown in with your average FPS-player because an adventure is a lot more complex than a shooter. At least that's what I have experienced. Shooters usually don't have much of a story; it's a matter of going in and kill everything that moves. I remember that I thought these games were cool when I was younger - about 10 years ago, maybe earlier. So maybe some people lose interest in these games when they grow older? I don't know. I just find it pretty hard and annoying to explain to people what it is I am playing because most people - usually those who have never played a game at all - think it's childish. One guy even told me once that he didn't approve of me playing games because he thought it was a waste of time. Well... *that* killed the last tiny chance he might have had of becoming more than just an acquaintance but that's a different story

@Alucard: *lol* Well... he actually *met* the real band once after one of their (Maiden's) gigs
As for feeling childish: I hope I'll never lose that. Technically, I'm grown up and I can act and behave like an adult. But in my heart, I'm still a child *g*
Old 04-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #76
The Quiet One

Quote:
@Alucard: *lol* Well... he actually *met* the real band once after one of their (Maiden's) gigs
As for feeling childish: I hope I'll never lose that. Technically, I'm grown up and I can act and behave like an adult. But in my heart, I'm still a child *g*
Now i'm jealous lol. I'd settle for just seeing them live means i never have... or any band for that matter. I'm ruddy determined to go to a gig before i die.

I haven't got to worry too much about loosing my childish side. After all i am a guy.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #77
AdoC

Send a message via Yahoo to AdoC

I'm 32. I started playing adventure games on C64 and Amiga 500....it seems so long ago now
Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I think I'd have to ask what your high school was...
Did you ever go to a high school in Surrey?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
You have a lot of info about yourself there mister. Aren't you afraid of someone misusing that?

No. Since I have an Amateur Radio License all that info is public record. Required by law.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #80
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Hehehehe...
Why don't you go pay a visit to another adventure forum, called Gameboomers and ask the posters there how old they are? Brace yourself, cause I bet you're too young to know what a babyboomer is.
Major wager that he won't get past the second message.