You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #81

I'll be 53 this month. My first adventure game was "The" first adventure game according to Wikipedia. I started playing this strange Interactive Fiction game called "Advent" which had been ported to our CP/M based computer. That was early 1980, I've never stopped playing adventure games.

I am a bit surprised that the demographic is not older
Old 04-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #82

I just turned 53. I started adventure gaming back in 1982 on my Apple 2+ with its 48K of memory, playing Zork and the Wizard and the Princess, and I've been hooked on adventure gaming ever since!
Old 04-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #83

Two in a row! Cool.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #84

Thats over 50 years of gaming!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by starla9 View Post
I am 25, female, maybe on the lower end of the general adventure game demographic, as I was in single digits when Sierra was still making adventure games. I've met very few people my age with the same passion. They might have played an adventure game kinda by accident here or there, but don't really know what they are, or think they are all like Myst. Now I like Myst, it was made in my hometown and forced my parents to buy a CD drive, but arrrrrgggghhhhhh!

I got my start with King's Quest V which my computer expert uncle bought for me when I was 8. He'd shown me how to type in DOS commands when I was 6 so I could play Battle Chess and it went on from there.
That's funny. I'm 25 (female) and King's Quest V was my first adventure game. I remember it came on a CD-ROM but you needed the floppy disk too and had to enter the DOS prompts. Strange set-up. It was our family's first computer, one we bought from some friends. They gave us KQV and I think the second Monkey Island, which completely baffled me at that age. I just remember having having to wipe spit off the way and thinking it was so cool. I'd never seen anything like it.

But I'm the only one I know who plays adventure games. I've got some friends who've played CSI and I've gotten by brother-in-law into adventure games a bit but I'd wager most people I know haven't even heard of Gabriel Knight. So sad.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolds View Post
I am a bit surprised that the demographic is not older
I would have guessed older, too, but keep in mind that this is in no way a scientific sampling. How close to the genre's demographic does Adventure Gamers users come and of those how likely are they to post in this thread? Some older members might have been discouraged from posting because of a certain immature rant earlier in the thread (no one wants to be around an ill mannered child.) It would be interesting to have a better idea of the true demographics. I think that one thing that this thread has shown is how wide the spectrum is, though.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #87

One thing I've noticed from The Escapist forums I hang around, a lot of people are getting bored of the same FPS and RTS games and are looking into other directions. I presume adventure games are one of those.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #88

does anyone else on here remember playing Indiana Jones : Raiders of the Lost Ark on the Atari? just curious ........... that is the first gaming experience that I remember really enjoying.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #89
Gombeto

Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #90

62..I'm old.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #91
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I'll be 24 in May. Almost every person my age I knew here in Poland has once played some of the most famous adventure games titles from the 90s. However, I don't know anyone else, who's primary interest in games would be in adventure games.

In Poland stores are always full of new adventure games dubbed by popular actors, so I guess they sell quite well.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #92

Hello, I'm a newbie here.
I'm 30 (female). The first adventure game I played was a French point-and-click game called "Mortville Manor" on Amstrad CPC6128, back in 1988 (wow, do I feel old). Has anyone heard of it?
Then I discovered "Loom" and "Monkey Island" on PC and never stopped playing adventure games since then.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #93
fire breathing

I'm 21, and I've been playing adventure games since I was around 13.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #94

I'm 28 ,i have been playing since i was 16. my first adventure game was chronomaster, my mom saw how much i loved computers and thoughtfully picked this game up for me, even though she knew nothing about computers let alone games, she just thought the cover looked nice i guess. I loved computers but had never played computer games , i just liked how you could do so much with them. The only other gaming experience i had was from consoles and i must say i was pleasently surprised at how the story and graphics in chronomaster grabbed me and never let go. I have since played quite a few ag's though not nearly as many as some of the veteran players.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #95

I'm new here but not new to AGs. Been playing since some of the Zork text games, but more seriously since discovering Myst in the mid-90s with my four children (then ages 10 to 6 months). I was a newly single mother at the time, and we had a computer with a CD drive that my parents bought us. We'd gather around the computer, with the older boys taking turns at the keyboard, and we'd all try to work our way through that fascinating game. It's a bonding experience with them that I'll never forget.

Since then I've amassed a large amount of adventure games -- many from The Adventure Company/Dreamcatcher, and a bunch of others, including some real oddities (Physicus, anyone?). I haven't played them all, but I do maintain one older computer in the house specifically to play older games that didn't get ported to XP. Now I'm playing AGs offline (The Awakened and Obsidian right now, plus a few others I've started and need to finish -- The Black Mirror, Dreamfall, Amerzone, etc. etc.) ... and also am getting into Guild Wars (which amazes me -- I'm shooting stuff and collecting bling!).

I'm going to be 47 next month, am a mother of four (two grown), and have loved alternative music since the mid-90s. My kids borrow MY CDs, go figure. ("Jeremy, when will I get my Pearl Jam CD back??") I was probably the oldest person at the Nine Inch Nails concert here a few years ago, but so what? Trent's almost my age anyway.

I've been online for over twenty years now (1987) and look forward to gaming for the rest of my life.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #96
King Silly

It's very good to see AG'ers of all ages. It doesn't surprise me though, I see many adventure games like good books ( interactive books ) and you'll never bee too old ( or too young) for them.

I'm 28 myself. I was 13'ish, could somehow barely speak and understand English and the game was Secret of Monkey Island. I was so fascinated by it.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #97
Maker of Other Worlds

Send a message via MSN to alkis21

I'm 33.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #98
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoflight7 View Post
I'm 123 years old i have started playing ags from 1940 2nd world war.Now i still play games from the grave.Ohhh god please cut the crap some of you
I'm a bit late replying, but I agree with others that the statement was uncalled for. It's a fact that solving puzzles, be they crossword or adventure game puzzles, keep the mind active.

Why is the 60+ year old gamer incomprehensible to you? We only do what you do. Except we've been doing it a hell of a lot longer, and probably have forgotten more about the history of gaming than you've ever learned. Lighten up. Give the codgers their shot at glory.

We're a damn smart lot!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2381
does anyone else on here remember playing Indiana Jones : Raiders of the Lost Ark on the Atari? just curious ........... that is the first gaming experience that I remember really enjoying.
You bet I do. The first adventure game I ever played was Adventure, on the Atari 2600. That led to Haunted House, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Swordquest, Dragonstomper, any adventure game I could get my hands on before I had an actual computer. That Lost Ark game was tough. It took me a couple of weeks to get through it.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #100

30 (born in 1977). Virgus! Male!

I play games since 1987 (with my first computer, an Amstrad 1512). Never had an Amiga or Atari (so take THAT Alkis! ) hahaha! Always a PC user! Always!